Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
just sharing some way off-topic personal excitement
ShaggyKids Offline

Likes Given: 29
RE: just sharing some way off-topic personal excitement
(24-02-2019 09:01 PM)Don Wrote:  
(24-02-2019 08:22 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  
(24-02-2019 01:23 PM)Don Wrote:  Swampy likes potatoes (raw), turnip(raw), apples, plums (when he can steal them), onions if peeled, and just about anything else. It always impresses me the way he can crunch up and eat a turnip, those things are like wood.
Your pup must have an iron stomach and you've both been ***very*** lucky. If the seeds/pits are included in his fruits those are toxic. Potato skins are toxic and onions can kill. I've heard some dogs can handle these things but I'm not up for testing ours just to find out Wink

When you look at mg/kg, stuff that would kill smaller dogs doesn't affect him at all. He's stolen just about everything that dogs can't eat apart from chocolate and xylitol.

I used to spend my days working with really dangerous chemicals and have had (just) sub lethal doses of most of them back in the day. Cyanide is a potent intoxicant, but you do have to be a bit careful with the dose. Hydrogen sulphide and ozone are far, far nastier. When you stop smelling hydrogen sulphide, you are going to die.

Ozone I won't go near - that stuff is nasty.

There is no way he'll ever get anything even remotely dubious from me. But he'd learned to steal before I got him (He's a rescue) and it seems I can't train him out of it even with soaking everything he might even want to steal in Tabasco.

Apple seeds, he'd need to eat several tens of kilograms of - and not get the runs, to get a dangerous dose of cyanide. It isn't nearly as poisonous as most folks think. Heroin is more toxic (Not that he'll ever meet that.), the fastest recorded death from cyanide was a guy who fell into an electroplating tank. Cyanide is really useful for dissolving the metal of your choice by playing games with the pH. When the autopsy was done, turned out the guy had drowned, not died of cyanide poisoning.

Stones from fruits will normally pass through completely unaltered. And he doesn't get near things like mangos with monster stones he couldn't pass. I lived in Africa in a mango producing area back in the '80's and I'm completely mango'd out.

It is always the dose that makes the poison. My first degree was in Chemistry and I'm fully aware of the toxic risks to me and the Assistant. And am also aware that almost everything you have ever heard from any Public Health doctor type was completely made up.

I work with Public Health medics every day and those guys are so full of it it defies belief.

Take the Golden Paste craze.

Then take a good look at Retraction Watch and the physiological effects of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric. Every single paper has been retracted and the "researcher" sacked. Everything you have ever read about Golden Paste is simply a lie. All of the "evidence" was faked. And the responsible guy fired.

I work in a hospital and get very, very angry about 99% of health articles published. At best, they apply to 1% of the population. Mostly they are just plain wrong. And if published by a team of Public Health "doctors" they are utterly and completely made up as Public Health has forgotten what science actually is.

Feel free to substitute "vets" for "doctors" in this rant.

I will be keeping this, thank you for all the information. Where would I find the Retraction Watch you refer to and information on the physiological effects of curcumin?

If it wasn't so dangerous for him to be stealing it would be funny Wink some dogs have habits that can drive us people crazy but then so do some people have habits that drive other people crazy. Our Tikaani is a whiner. It's more like white noise to us since we got used to it but visitors to our house would find it extremely annoying I'm sure. I haven't worked nearly as hard as I could to break him of this habit so it's likely my fault but then on the other hand like your baby, it could be a habit he won't give up no matter what. I hope he never steals anything that could hurt him or worse.
24-02-2019 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShaggyKids's post:
Don (02-24-2019)
Don Online
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,171
https://www.retractionwatch.com

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
24-02-2019 09:47 PM
Don Online
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,171
https://retractionwatch.com/2016/02/22/j...stigation/

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
24-02-2019 09:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
ShaggyKids (02-24-2019)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,391
A tin of meaty dog food contains less than 3% meat the other 97% to be honest is crap. Cleaning up after a dog fed on tinned dog food can be an unpleasant experience to say the least. We tried the raw/veggie route for our 3 but it was very time consuming. We found a commercially produced dog food which is 70% meat 30% veggie which we have been using for 8 years now. When we have a cooked meal we some times boil up extra veggies for the babies. A raw diet for dogs has its merits but it's not the be all and end all its made out to be.

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
25-02-2019 05:06 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Robjenko's post:
ecignut (02-25-2019), Fatboy (02-26-2019)