Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
vaping and airline travel
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,814
vaping and airline travel
Just curious, anyone have any experience with getting their equipment through customs when travelling abroad?

I know the juice bottles are small but being an electronic device, I'm really concerned as this will be my first vacation or business trip as a non smoker...I know they always hassled me for having more than ONE lighter - would hate to have them confiscate my mods or any other of my property....and leave me scrambling to find gear at my destination city....

[Image: 1457330400_25_1_USD_12.50_default.png]
22-05-2016 01:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,525
RE: vaping and airline travel
not sure how it would work in canada . one of our members sent me a mechanical mod from the UK via royal/us mail sevices and it was not permitted to fly and was instead sent by surface mail .

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
22-05-2016 01:40 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chuck-Drl's post:
Fatboy (05-22-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
(22-05-2016 01:29 AM)Fatboy Wrote:  Just curious, anyone have any experience with getting their equipment through customs when travelling abroad?

I know the juice bottles are small but being an electronic device, I'm really concerned as this will be my first vacation or business trip as a non smoker...I know they always hassled me for having more than ONE lighter - would hate to have them confiscate my mods or any other of my property....and leave me scrambling to find gear at my destination city....
Good question.  I've had so much stuff confiscated at airports I just check my luggage if I fly now.  I have read a few posts about people who've been able to stealth vape at airports.  However, because all the equipment can be so different, I don't know how the security folks would be able to tell what it was.
22-05-2016 01:51 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bibliora's post:
Fatboy (05-22-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
- Remove the battery from the device, store it in a battery case. Transport the device in your check-in luggage and the case with the battery in your carry-on luggage.
- Remove the tank from the device and empty it. Stuff a tissue into the drip tip, put the tank into a small plastic bag, place it into your check-in luggage separately from the mod.
- For e-liquids, store them in your toiletries bag. If a bottle was opened before place it into a platic bag.
- Avoid all-in-one devices or devices with integrated batteries. If you need to bring those transport them in carry-on language but be prepared for disucssion at customs in several countries, or even confiscation.

We are criminals now. 
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2016 02:14 AM by peter-k.)
22-05-2016 02:12 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes peter-k's post:
Fatboy (05-22-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I've carried an ecig with no problems, but only flying domestically. I'm not sure how it would work for international travel. I'm sure it would be a bad idea if your destination is an area where e-cigs are banned or heavily regulated. I wouldn't think it would be a problem if you're going from one ecig-friendly country to another, but customs is weird. It'd be better not to risk it. Or do like I did: take a mod and tank that you don't care that much about, then if they do confiscate it you're not out too much. 
22-05-2016 03:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Fatboy (05-22-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Is there a country where they are actually banned?  A long international flight is the perfect reason to vape.
22-05-2016 03:48 PM
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
Singapore has a complete ban. Vendors have been punished with highest fines, vaping is prohibited by law. If you bring a devuce they'll confiscate it and no excuse whatsoever will save you.
Cambodia + Hong Kong theoretically as well.
Thailand sizes so far only commercial imports, which includes private mail orders from overseas online shops. But they so it seems are slowly moving on the path of Singapore, and they have already strict import ban of nicotine. Bringing some device yourself so far is not affected even though it is not legal.
There are several countries in the world which have stricter regulations than you are used to. Unless you stay on the North American continent educate yourself before leaving. The battery is required to be in the carry-on luggage everywhere, so if you have a mod with an integrated battery you are basically fxxxed in some countries.
The above was as general recommendation that should mostly work, even if there are banns in place.
(This post was last modified: 22-05-2016 04:53 PM by peter-k.)
22-05-2016 04:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes peter-k's post:
Fatboy (05-23-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,814
(22-05-2016 03:48 PM)bibliora Wrote:  Is there a country where they are actually banned?  A long international flight is the perfect reason to vape.

I think I'm going to go and vape into a smoke detector and see if I can set it off - airlines always tell us that they have installed sensitive smoke detectors in the washrooms for MY protection. Smile

I'll test my hypothesis (home smoke detector not on an airplane) and post my findings. Smile

[Image: 1457330400_25_1_USD_12.00_dark.png]
23-05-2016 12:18 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I've set off fire alarms countless times. It's no joke. 

My favorite time was when I set off a fire alarm in a hotel, after the lady at the front desk adamantly told me they had a strict no-smoking policy, for some reason she felt the need to tell me several times. So I set off the fire alarm at 4 in the morning from vaping, and of course the phone rang and it was that lady, so I told her I'd burned some popcorn. Threw some popcorn in the microwave, set it to ten minutes, then when the fire department showed up I told them the same story and offered them some burnt popcorn. 

I unplugged the fire alarm in my apartment, since it goes off any time I vape or even when my wife opens the oven, for some reason it goes off even if she didn't burn anything. 

I've also set off a fire alarm when steam pressing a suit, but that's a story for another time Smile
23-05-2016 04:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Fatboy (05-23-2016), gentlydoingit* (05-24-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

(23-05-2016 04:25 AM)Michael Wrote:  I've set off fire alarms countless times. It's no joke. 
Too funny.  I was just thinking of the side benefit's of vaping and one was being able to vape in a hotel room.  Haven't set off the alarm at my house yet.  So, how big does a cloud have to be to set off an alarm?
23-05-2016 04:35 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bibliora's post:
Fatboy (05-23-2016)