Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
searching for the right unit; built-in batt dilemma
WeyMama Offline

Likes Given: 0
searching for the right unit; built-in batt dilemma
I'm not a heavy vaper, but I started about a year ago using fully disposable pens and then switched in January to a super simple refillable set up to make it more affordable. That pen (two of them, actually) got ruined too easily by "refillable-disposable" cartridges, so I switched next to a 600 mAh Kanger EVOD with 1.8 ohm coils in February. After a couple of months, that tank was leaking (which I eventually found out was because my preferred e-liquid was one of those KangerTech deems too acidic for its plastic tanks...the plastic itself had begun cracking and leaking. I switched to a lighter juice and started shopping for a glass tank, when my battery decided to go on the fritz, after not even a full 3 months of use (naturally, the shop I bought it from didn't offer that long of a warranty). My husband has been through TWO Evod Twist units in the same amount of time. His second one broke the day after my battery went out, but being an electrician, he was able to hack it back together. I'd gone back to using the last of the totally disposable pens I still kept around for dead-battery emergencies when his new mod came in the mail, and he likes it so much he's given me his EVOD Twist that I'm using with my own tanks for now, but finding a replacement has become top priority.

Yesterday I thought I'd finally found my perfect unit: the Smoking Vapor Mi-One. It's a tiny but relatively powerful little all-in-one unit...child lock, neat abalone shell design, lanyard, replaceable drip tip, adjustable airflow, and did I mention it's *tiny*? This busy mom could stick it in her pocket and not worry about it getting bent or sticking out of pants pockets and falling out someplace. Only trouble is that the only compatible coils available right now are 0.6 ohm, and I am NOT a cloud chaser. I would have to take tiny little drags on the thing to avoid a harsh throat hit, until they come out with the higher resistance coils they are supposedly working on (whenever THAT is).

But then I realized the thing's battery is BUILT-IN. Which means instead of just having to drop another $10 or so to replace my EVOD battery, I'd have to drop another $40 to replace the whole unit, and if it dies just outside SV's 90-day warranty, I'd be pretty ticked. I don't have a clue what it's lifetime should actually be. If it gets me 6 months or a year, outright replacing might not be such a raw deal. but for twice as much as an EVOD, I want it to at least last a bit longer.

Does anyone know of something remotely similar--nice and small at the very least, preferably able to take 1.5 or 1.8+ coils--that DOES have a battery I can replace? Does the Smok Micro One compare?

Or has anyone ever opened up one of these (or another built-in) to try replacing the battery or is that just too completely dangerous and inadvisable? Can 20350 batteries even be purchased anywhere, in case electrician-hubby cracks it open once it's dead and can replace it? I'm finding other common numbers but not this one.

Thanks for the tips. Pretty bummed to realize this after researching this single unit ALL DAY and even finding a spot that stocks it locally and will special order it for me if they have to, only to realize it's not as much a "mod" as I realized. It's really no different than my EVOD in that regard, except it's a different shape and more expensive. Tongue
03-05-2017 02:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
WeyMama Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: searching for the right unit; built-in batt dilemma
(03-05-2017 02:23 AM)WeyMama Wrote:  Or has anyone ever opened up one of these (or another built-in) to try replacing the battery or is that just too completely dangerous and inadvisable? Can 20350 batteries even be purchased anywhere, in case electrician-hubby cracks it open once it's dead and can replace it? I'm finding other common numbers but not this one.
I guess along those regards, maybe what I'm thinking with this is once that battery's depleted, could I crack open this case and just use it as a shell for a custom mod, put my own battery in? Maybe with a lower mAh that would give me less of a throat hit in the process, too. Has anyone ever done *that*? Rebuilt an all-in-one?
03-05-2017 03:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply