Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
question about sub-ohm
Jesse_James2112 Offline

Likes Given: 0
question about sub-ohm
I'm new to vaping, I've never vaped. I'm looking for an RTA atomizer with a very loose draw for direct-to-lung. Virtually every atomizer I come across online is sub-ohm. I am told sub-ohm is not good for high nicotine levels, and sub ohm is not good for beginners who've never smoked (I dip) because it will produce a really hard hit.
My question is, can't I just turn down the watts? Or if I had a temperature control, couldn't I just set it at a low temp? 
26-08-2017 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,310
RE: question about sub-ohm
You can turn down the power, but the vape will be unsatisfying. Subohm is indeed for higher power applications, which is why it was first adapted. And because of the higher power, you use more juice, which in turn introduces more nicotine. So yes, lower nic levels are better suited for subohm. And from my experience, direct lung is not all that satisfying at 1 ohm and higher levels. So in a way, if you want to use DL, you're best off with subohm. The reason the DL atomizers are airy is because the higher power induces faster and higher levels of heat to the coils. MTL is not suited for that. So it's something of a vaping 'law of nature' if you will: You want airy, you sub ohm. You sub ohm, you cut back the nic. You want higher nic, you MTL. You MTL, you have a tight draw at lower power.

To add to the confusion, you are not required to follow these laws. You can personalize vaping any way you wish. But, high airflow with low power will likely not be satisfying to you at all. High nic levels with DL subohming will possibly make you sick or worse. YMMV.
26-08-2017 05:56 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (08-26-2017), LilFracker (08-27-2017)
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,958
Welcome to TVF! What TW said.

I am also a former dipper and have always used subohm tank and rdas with lower nic. The higher nic will also give you more of a throat hit which as a dipper you probably don't want or need anyway.

Keep Calm and Vape On!
26-08-2017 07:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes mike.williams's post:
ecignut (08-26-2017)
Jesse_James2112 Offline

Likes Given: 0
I appreciate your responses, but here's the thing. I am giving up the dip because I need a tooth extraction. The number one reason dentist beg you not to smoke afterwards isn't because of the nic, or the tar, or the residue, it's the suction in the mouth that will dislodge the clot, leading to an extremely painful condition called dry socket.
So maximum air flow, direct to lung, is a must.

Also, I have no idea what milligram of nicotine I will need. I plan on buying a 24mg bottle and a 0mg bottle, and mixing it in different ratios to get different mg per ml, until I find the dose that works for me.

So, again, I need max air flow, and low enough temp to vape up to 24mg.
I'm warned sub ohm tanks aren't for 6+mg.
Every nice RTA that brags about air flow, seems to be sub-ohm.
And while I guess I can buy a sub ohm tank and just pop a higher resistant coil in there, I'm wondering why I can't just turn down the watts/temp on a sub ohm.
Let me see if I can put it to you this way:
Setting temp control to 350f on a 0.5ohm coil, or setting tempt control to 350f on a 1.5ohm coil, should result in the same amount of vape, same strength of nic, right?
26-08-2017 10:48 PM
Toopizard Offline
Chevy Nomad Fan
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 847
If I were you I wouldn't even vape after a tooth extraction. Dry socket is no joke. Hurts like a bitch. My last tooth extraction (yes I've had several even though I'm only 30 and brush my teeth 3 times a day...damn genetics) I didn't even vape for like a week after. If you MUST though I'd go subohm tank, 3-6mg nic, airflow wiiiide open.
27-08-2017 04:55 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Toopizard's post:
Fatboy (08-27-2017), TinWhisker (08-27-2017)
Toopizard Offline
Chevy Nomad Fan
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 847
Also honestly 6mg in a subohm gets the job done. That's why you shouldn't use higher nic in them. It's not because they can't handle it's because the delivery system works great with 3-6mg nic
27-08-2017 07:29 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toopizard's post:
TinWhisker (08-27-2017)
LilFracker Offline
Bwahhahaha
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,330
6mg nic is equivalent to smoking 2 packs of cigs a day ( that's 50 cigs ) when sub-ohming. If you set the 2 coils you mention to the same temp they both will shut down at that temp but the sub -coil will probably not be satisfying as it takes more power to heat the coils meaning longer time and thus little to no vape production

Here is a way of looking at the 2 types of vaping, Ohm vaping simulates the draw on a cig and sub ohm vaping is like the draw on a big cigar
27-08-2017 10:10 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like LilFracker's post:
Fatboy (08-27-2017), TinWhisker (08-27-2017)
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 868
When I had my teeth pulled, I would take hits almost reverse of blowing on a hot cup of coffee or tea, and quick little draws only as often as I needed. Never had dry socket and didnt really want to either.

From what I found, dry socket is caused by the suction of drawing on the cig (or egic in this case), and sucking out the initial blood clot from the socket. So that is what you want to avoid

But, I am not a doctor, and would strongly suggest against it. If you have to though, do it in a way that will create as little suction, or pressure change in your mouth, as possible

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
27-08-2017 01:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pulsar's post:
TinWhisker (08-27-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,310
(26-08-2017 10:48 PM)Jesse_James2112 Wrote:  Let me see if I can put it to you this way:
Setting temp control to 350f on a 0.5ohm coil, or setting tempt control to 350f on a 1.5ohm coil, should result in the same amount of vape, same strength of nic, right?

No; that depends on the watts (or Joules depending on what your mod reads in TC). I'll use the Joule here for the example. It also depends on airflow and the speed at which you draw.

For TC, the temperature setting is the max temp the mod will allow the coils to achieve before governing the draw. The equivalency comes from the power setting. The power setting determines how quickly the mod will fire up to the desired temperature. The higher Ohm coil will hit that 350 degree threshold much more quickly than the subohm coil will, if you are using say 30J as your power setting in both examples. So, you'll have to put the Joules way down on the 1.5 coil or you will get the warning and the mod will stop firing (In power mode, you'll get a nasty dry hit). Reason is the same as before; the higher ohm coil will heat up much more quickly if you have the settings the same for both coils. Which is why the coil settings ranges are so different between them. And which is why I say subohm is your best choice. A 1.5 Ohm coil will just not perform well at all with high airflow and deep breaths.

350F is also quite low for TC anyway. While cotton does burn at a low temperature, the saturation of the juice prevents that from happening. I use TC, and my go-to temp is 500F. I vape a .3 parallel setup at 36J. The vape is cool at first, but after a few draws it heats up and responds faster. TC is great because if the juice doesn't fully saturate the build between draws, it will sense that and stop firing if it gets to the preset temperature before you are done with the draw. I use a DL RDTA with massive airflow (feels like breathing just air if I choose to do that). Many people think that is too low of a power setting, but I like to take looooonnng draws and if I turn it up too high, I can't take long draws because it will get too hot for my liking. So it speaks to preference. A lot of people like hot vapes, I like cooler ones.

You need a subohm build, 3mg NIC juice, and an atty with big airflow for your needs with the detnal work from what I see. There are tons of DIY atomizers out there that fit the bill, and probably a few decent options with disposable coils too. And please continue to ask questions. We are all here to help, and are happy to do so.
27-08-2017 04:05 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (08-27-2017), mike.williams (08-27-2017), Toopizard (09-02-2017)
paulS Offline
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,027
First off I don't know any 1.5 TC coils ... you coiuld build them I suppose but with SS or NI getting 1.5 is near impossible. So theoretical posturing gets us nowhere. For TC most people use SS these days. That said there are mods that handle any coil in TC - Hohmtech makes them. But it is a steep learning curve adjusting FSK values. In your case it might be worth it but it will take patience to get just the right vape in TC using the FSK menu. It does allow you to use Kanthal however.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
27-08-2017 04:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
mike.williams (08-27-2017)