Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
please help about RDA.
Kiwibooy Offline

Likes Given: 19
please help about RDA.
Hello,

I'm new to vaping. I recently bought a Aspire Odyssey mini kit. I've been enjoying it so far but heard that using RDA is better with taste and clouds. 

I've watched a few Youtube video's and i know how to use a RDA ( you put cotton between the coils en put some juice on it and start vaping ).

I have a few questions, when applying the juice on the cotton how long can you enjoy vaping until the there is no more flavor? 
Can you use RDA's on a Aspire Odyssey mini or do you have to use another vaping device and if so which one do you recommend  ( Aspire Odyssey max watt is 50W )? 
I've looked for some RDA's online but there are some very expensive ones. do you know of any good RDA that produces good vapor and taste with a reasonable price? 

I thank you for your time and help and if my English is not on par my apologies, I'm Dutch.

Have a good day,Good

Erwin.
17-01-2016 02:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,089
RE: please help about RDA.
Well  .. a lot of questions. You can certainly build an RDA to vaoe at 35-50 watts. You can build to vape at 200 watts. It is all about your build. I have RDAs built for lower wattages. My hobo and sapor both vape well at lower wattages. Also you can buy a clone of almost any RDA. I have about ten RDAs currently. A sapor is cheap and you can build it for a lower wattage. As for dripping. The flavor is always good. You just have to keep the coils juiced. A coil if it is a clapton can last you three months. You will need to rewick (change the cotton) frequently but that is easy and cheap. An odyssey is fine to start with. I personally prefer mods that vape up to at least 75 watts but 50 can do.

Define reasonable. A decent clone is about 20 - 30 dollars. An authentic will run between 45 -60 for a cheaper one. The blitz attys and wotofo attys are good and cheap. There are a few that are just fine iof built single coil for your odessy. Experiment a bit. You will be fine. Don't buy a new mod too quickly. New ones come out every month, lol. It is all hype.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
17-01-2016 02:38 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like paulS's post:
gentlydoingit* (01-17-2016), Kiwibooy (01-17-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,378
Hi kiwibooy. 

Firstly, your English is far better than my Dutch so respect where it's due Good

Some of the answers you seek can only be found by experience as a lot of vaping comes down to personal preference.
I'd recommend getting some kanthal wire, 28-26g, and a cheap rda from somewhere like fasttech or 3fvape, then, using an online ohms calculator, build a few coils to see what you like.
50w is plenty to start out and you'll get anywhere between 3-20 good hits from the wick before it dries out.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
17-01-2016 03:18 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Kiwibooy (01-17-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
Kiwibooy Offline

Thank you for the replies. Just a few more things. When you have an RDA how would you know at which wattage to Vape? Does it depend on what kind of coil you are using? 

Do you have to change Cotton everytime you want to change the flavor or can you use the same cotton?  I do understand that you will have to change cotton when it's no longer good.

I was thinking of getting the Infinite CLT V3 (RDA) it's 44 euro. 

Thank you for you time. 
18-01-2016 01:24 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kiwibooy's post:
Spasmod (01-19-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Hi again.
Wattage is preference, some people vape low, some high. Most coils that are built well enough will easily handle the max power of your device so there's little worry of any problems testing it to see where your comfortable. I'd recommend a .4 coil in 26g kanthal a1 for good first time results.

You shouldn't need to change cotton, just vape it until it near dry then add your new flavour. After a few more drips it'll change flavour.

The clt v3 is a very good atty, I own one myself. Bare in mind before you buy it that it was designed with high power 'cloud chasing' in mind. Airflow can be adjusted but I don't think it's the best choice for your device.. Deep deep juice well, high coil build, 3 post, chuff cap, massive airflow, huge post holes, tall size.. it'll work, but it's overkill imo. It also seems quite expensive compared to my local shop.

18-01-2016 01:43 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Spasmod (01-19-2016)
Kiwibooy Offline

Thanks for toy reply, 

You say the CLT v3 was designed for high power cloud chasing. Does that mean you need a device above the maximum 50W? does it produce good flavor taste? 
18-01-2016 01:52 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

50w will power you a very nice vape, you could go higher but as a novice I'd recommend you get some practice first, there can be a dangers to vaping at high power. On my clt the flavour was very good, but that'll be the same with a lot of rda's, as most of the flavour comes from a well built coil.

18-01-2016 02:15 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Kiwibooy (01-18-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
Kiwibooy Offline

Thanks for the info, I will practise. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos on how to make coils. When making coils you will also need an Ohm meter? (to attach your RDA)  what is the proper name for it? 

And with the kanthal coil at what ohm do you have the kanthal coil set?  What's the difference between lower ohm and higher? 

These are the last few questions and then I'm ready to practise! Thank you. 
18-01-2016 02:30 AM
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,089
Check out this ...

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

You need to understand ohm's law. You don't 'set' a coil. The gauge, diameter and number of wraps determine the resistance of the coil.

So a
Standard Kanthal
Round
26 gauge (Diameter of Wire AWG)
Dual Coil (Set Up)
.4 ohm (Targeted Resistance)
2.5 (Inner Diameter of Coil)
is
6 wraps  determined by using the application.

Using a single coil set up you would want to use 24 gauge at a 2.0 diameter and about 5/6 wraps to get that .4 ohm resistance.

Read steam engine. Watch the tutorials on battery safety and ohm's law. Vape safely. We want you around for awhile.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2016 06:23 AM by paulS.)
18-01-2016 06:16 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like paulS's post:
gentlydoingit* (01-18-2016), Kiwibooy (01-18-2016), Michael (01-18-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Coil building is one area that our FAQ section hasn't really addressed. Hmm. I think I'll need to fix that. 

As others have said, building coils is really an art form. It'll take some practice, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of it once you've done it for a while. 

Personally, I prefer 26ga kanthal. It's thick enough that the wire is easy to work with, but it's also thin enough that you can easily build higher resistance coils if you want. 

Basically, here's what you'll want to do. Figure out what kind of build you want to make (single coil, dual coil, etc). Then figure out what resistance you'd like to make. For your device I'd say 0.5 ohms is a good target. Also figure out the diameter of your coils, meaning the width of the post you're wrapping them on. I use a coil-building tool that has several different diameters to choose from, but you could also wrap on a drill bit instead. Just use the drill bit size as the diameter. Around 2.5mm is a good size to start with. Then plug that info into the site paulS recommended, and it will tell you how many wraps of wire it will take. Once you've wrapped your coils, you'll install them on the RDA like the YouTube tutorials show you, and trim off any excess wire. When you're installing the coils, make sure they're centered on the RDA so they won't touch the top cap when you put it on later. Once you've got the coils on the RDA, you'll want to fire it without any wick so the coils heat up, then pinch them with a pair of tweezers or flat pliers. The goal here is to make them look like a compressed spring. Just don't squeeze them too hard, or you might end up crushing the coil (I did that more times than I'd like to admit when I was learning). Your goal here is for the coils to heat evenly, from the inside out whenever you fire your device. Then put the RDA on an Ohm Reader to make sure it's good. 

You'll probably mess up, and that's fine. It's a learning process. Hopefully this will help you out. In the FAQ section here on the forum, we've got a post all about how Ohm's Law works that I'd really recommend you read. Ohm's Law is a mathematical formula that will tell you lots of information, and the most important thing is to be safe. Since you're using a regulated device you won't have to worry about amp limits, since your device will make sure you don't exceed them. 

And of course, if you have any other questions, just let us know. As I'm sure you can tell, we enjoy helping people here Smile 
18-01-2016 05:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Michael's post:
ADIE37 (01-18-2016), Almost Jaded (01-18-2016), Kiwibooy (01-18-2016), paulS (01-18-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)