Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
pioneer4you ipv4
bcfos Offline

Likes Given: 9
RE: pioneer4you ipv4
(11-04-2015 01:14 PM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  All it will take is one or two people popping a nickel build atty onto a non-temp controlled mod or accidentally grabbing the nickel wire for a regular build. That would f#ck then up bad and you will see the entire industry get hammered because of it.

this is the exact reason I tell everyone to steer away from pre-built coils available on the "Bay". You never know exactly what you are getting unless you build it yourself. 

OHM's law is rather complex for newbies and I used it before getting into this hobby/business and was quite shocked it has become so popular outside of the electrical industry. Just when i though I was out it pulled me back in... lol
13-04-2015 06:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes bcfos's post:
Michael (04-13-2015)
spensir Offline

Likes Given: 1
So has anyone gotten one of these shipped to them yet? Like in transit just curious if they came out?
13-04-2015 07:30 PM
madecov Offline

Likes Given: 2
I have them in stock and it uses the YiHi chip.
 The temperature LIMITING algorithm seems to work fine. YiHi is going to really put a damper on Evolve if Evolve doesn't get it together.
The IPV4 is not machined aluminum it is stamped. The body is a polymer material while the frame is aluminum. The screen itself is nice but the cover is mirror finished and difficult to see in any lighting. overall I would give Pioneer between 4 and 4.5 stars on this one.

Also internal charging is possible. I tested it with 9v supply from Radio Shack and it will charge.

[Image: 1379125800_10_1_USD_5_dark.png]
14-05-2015 11:26 PM
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
Here you go:

Nickel resists corrosion and is used to plate other metals to protect them. It is, however, mainly used in making alloys such as stainless steel. Nichrome is an alloy of nickel and chromium with small amounts of silicon, manganese and iron. It resists corrosion, even when red hot, so is used in toasters and electric ovens. A copper-nickel alloy is commonly used in desalination plants, which convert seawater into fresh water. Nickel steel is used for armour plating. Other alloys of nickel are used in boat propeller shafts and turbine blades.

Nickel is used in batteries, including rechargeable nickel-cadmium batteries and nickel-metal hydride batteries used in hybrid vehicles.

Nickel has a long history of being used in coins. The US five-cent piece (known as a ‘nickel’) is 25% nickel and 75% copper.

Finely divided nickel is used as a catalyst for hydrogenating vegetable oils. Adding nickel to glass gives it a green colour.

____

Biological role
The biological role of nickel is uncertain. It can affect the growth of plants and has been shown to be essential to some species.

Some nickel compounds can cause cancer if the dust is inhaled, and some people are allergic to contact with the metal.

Nickel cannot be avoided completely. We take in nickel compounds with our diet. It is an essential element for some beans, such as the navy bean that is used for baked beans.

__

In case you want to know where I got this info:

Data

W. M. Haynes, ed., CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, CRC Press/Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL, 95th Edition

Unless you plan on actually ingesting your coils...it's safe.  Notice the bold print.

Nickel melts at 2,651 degrees F...the IPV4 maxes out at 572 degrees F.   You do the math.
(This post was last modified: 16-05-2015 03:39 AM by Nihilum.)
16-05-2015 03:38 AM
Nihilum Offline

(14-05-2015 11:26 PM)madecov Wrote:  I have them in stock and it uses the YiHi chip.
 The temperature LIMITING algorithm seems to work fine. YiHi is going to really put a damper on Evolve if Evolve doesn't get it together.
The IPV4 is not machined aluminum it is stamped. The body is a polymer material while the frame is aluminum. The screen itself is nice but the cover is mirror finished and difficult to see in any lighting. overall I would give Pioneer between 4 and 4.5 stars on this one.

Also internal charging is possible. I tested it with 9v supply from Radio Shack and it will charge.

We got them at our shop today...both the owner and myself got one.  It fits the hand so well, and the poly cover really adds to the grip.  I am currently using 28g nickel, 10 wraps, at max temp of 572.  As soon as I wicked the coils, I fired it dry and held the button down...told me to juice my cotton...lol.  Not even hot enough to get the coils red hot.
16-05-2015 03:51 AM
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
LMAO, dueling vendors in a members thread, Priceless
16-05-2015 12:37 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,458
Let's not turn this thread into an argument about Nickel. Dr Farsalinos is well aware of the risks associated with using Pure Nickel and intends to carry out some Tetra-carbonyl toxicity tests once he gets the funding.

For now let's keep the thread on track.. thanks
17-05-2015 01:42 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Spasmod's post:
BOB (05-17-2015), JohnnyMac (05-17-2015), Whiskey (05-17-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
I'm with Don and the others - I know too many people with VIOLENT nickel allergies.  Copper can also cause allergies.  And seeing what happens to these people with just the tiniest of skin contact, I can't imagine what happens if they were to inhale it!!  Until it is confirmed that NO particulate metal can come off these coils, or that they're using a diffferent kind of metal (that people don't react to), I will stick with my wattage-based Kanthol builds.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
17-05-2015 09:14 PM
Nihilum Offline

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the subject.

That said, the iPV4 is the best bang for your buck right now.  100 watts for those who prefer wattage, and builds down to a .1 ohm.  For those who want temp control a simple menu selection changes it.  All of this for $85-110. 

The one drawback to the iPV4 that I'm aware of is an issue with it shorting out if you over juice an RDA and it drips into the charging port, which is a 3.5mm jack.  If you are a heavy juicer, the hole can be covered with tape...or a rubber 3.5 mm jack stopper from Radio Shack.
23-05-2015 06:40 AM
madecov Offline

Likes Given: 2
The Yi Hi method of temp control seems to work a little different than Evolve, It takes a little bit of dialing in. I'm vaping a max VG juice at 490 degrees and 40 watts. No dry hits and it works great (Vaporflask). I have not tried the IPV yet. Tuesday I should have the Joyetech Evic VT and will give that a go. Supposed to work with nickel, Titanium or Kanthal. Of course temp limiting only works with nickel or titanium.

[Image: 1379125800_10_1_USD_5_dark.png]
24-05-2015 07:20 PM