Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
luxury juices overpriced or worth it?
chefgaz85 Offline

Likes Given: 1
luxury juices overpriced or worth it?
hi guys
so i started my vaping journey with 2 30ml bottles of vapingliquid.com flavours.both 18mg one was red cola one was vanilla.i new nothing of there quality they were simply the brand my cambridge based vape shop sold.underwhelmed if im honest both sweet harsh and no depth of flavour.i then bought 2 buttock clenchingly expensive 30 ml bottles.one lazarus vintage and one five pawns.havnt tried lazarus yet but the five pawns is stunning.expensive yes and the packaging is certainly designed to attract the "its expensive so musr be good" crowd.im a chef so i am fully aware having worked in several michelin starred kitchens that some people enjoy the flavours on the palate while some purely assume something must be great if its expensive.so what do u guys think.are these luxury juices worth the cash or just a cynical marketing ploy?
19-12-2014 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,625
RE: luxury juices overpriced or worth it?
Hi and welcome Gaz!

In general I'll get the occasional bought juice as a treat. Mostly I make my own. It really isn't hard - just don't use the same utensils for cooking as for juice mixing Smile

There's an outfit called VaperCaper which is run by a chef and while the juice isn't free, it is nice and not expensive by comparison with some of the juices out there. There's also Chef's Vapour which is run by chefs too.

Mixing is easy and cheap.And a lot of fun.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
19-12-2014 03:40 PM
chefgaz85 Offline

i can see comparisons with the more molecular areas of cooking which could make the process intriguing.i certainly may look into creating my own in future.at moment im so new to vaping i would t no where to start!i was at a loss in vape shop so went for the istick and only juice brand they had!its interesting though.some people love snobbery and these high end juices seem to satisfy that.to me there delicious but thats not to say there any better than a basement price juice.i simply chose them as they had good reviews
19-12-2014 03:59 PM
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
hi gaz welcome to TVF
being a chef I  would imagine you would be great at making your own juice
I make my own and I am a builder so you will find it easy
I have not really tried the expensive juices but have tried some very nice home made ones (not made by me)

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
19-12-2014 04:11 PM
chefgaz85 Offline

hi thanks for welcome!id cetainly look into the process.im shocked to be honest that as a heavy smoker of unfiltered roll ups for 12 years that ive managed to stop by vaping.and enjoy the vape whereas i hated the smell of tobacco and the cough.
my only concern with making my own juice i guess is is it safe or best left to experts.this is in no way criticism to anyone who makes it just me being a worrier i guess lol
19-12-2014 04:31 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

It is no harder than following a recipe. The only bit that you do have to be careful with is the nicotine. The arithmetic isn't hard. Say you vape at 24mg/ml and you want to make 10ml of liquid (I usually make 100 at a time) you have 10ml of 24mg= 240mg of nicotine. The usual concentration of nicotine for mixing is 72mg/ml so you need 240/72 ml of nicotine base. Which is 3.3ml. The simplest reliable method of measuring such small quantities is to use syringes. But you do have to tape over the markings on the syringes as both propylene glycol (PG - The carrier for the flavours) and vegetable glycerine (VG - Which gives the clouds) tend to dissolve whatever ink it is they use to mark the syringes. If you do this a lot, glass syringes are a good investment.

The higher the percentage of vegetable glycerine you use, the higher the flavour percentage you need as it doesn't carry flavour as well as propylene glycol. I tend to start with 20% flavouring and the only diluent I use is vegetable glycerine so my recipes end up being 80% VG. This is IMO nicer to vape than mixes high in PG.

Beyond that keep stuff clean and wipe up spills immediately. Just follow the normal rules of working in a kitchen and you'll be fine.

19-12-2014 04:49 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
BOB (12-19-2014)
chefgaz85 Offline

sounds straightforward!ive created some truly odd flavour combos over the years and id love to incorporate some into a juice!
19-12-2014 04:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes chefgaz85's post:
BOB (12-19-2014)
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
that's a great way to calculate the nicotine Don
I use an online  calculator but wont be needing that anymore

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
19-12-2014 06:34 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

I find it the easiest way to work it out. And you can use it to work out the resulting strength of mixing juices together. Sitting in front of me I have 130ml of 4mg juice, 100ml of 3mg juice and 75ml of 36mg juice.

What would I get other than a disgusting flavour if I mixed them all together?
I have (130x4)+(100x3)+(75x36)=520+300+2700=3520mg of nicotine. This is in 305ml so he result will be 3520/305=11.5mg juice.

There is no point in getting hung up on twenty decimal places - our measurements will at best be plus or minus 5% and that is if you are being really careful. When I see manual chemistry (Which is just what this is) with statistical errors of better than 5% I immediately suspect someone has been cooking their results. You can do it, but it needs awesome amounts of patience, money and technique.

This once happened to me - I ran the (hideous) statistics on the results and came up with errors of under 2%. Went straight to the boss and said, "I don't believe these numbers, what have I done wrong", he said, "I don't believe them either". Some time later he crunched the numbers - this was before organisations not made of money had computers, this was done with a great deal of tedious punching numbers into a calculator.

To cut a (very) long story short - it turned out that the measuring device which had cost about the same as a new high-end car - gave results that only depended on how long it had been turned on, not on what it was supposed to be measuring. Three months' work wasted Sad

19-12-2014 08:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
BOB (12-20-2014)
chefgaz85 Offline

i can see me eventually getting very nerdy about this as i am with my cooking! the process of taking simple ingredients and refining them could become equally addictive!i have a recipe for a stilton and white chocolate bread and old co worker of mine passed on to me from a very famous chef he worked with in the 80s(nowadays a famous stock cube peddlerSmile) if i could somehow get the seperate flavours into a vape i would die a happy man Tongue 
19-12-2014 10:47 PM