Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
kanthal wire help
Finster Offline

Likes Given: 36
kanthal wire help
I want to order some kanthal wire off the net. I'm not sure of the gauges. I want it for rebuilding my Kanger sub Mini I'm thinking 26 Gauge on that? I also want to rebuild the small disposable coils. Most of the are 1.5 ohm. Is 36 gauge the right choice for something like that?   

[Image: 1428256800_20_1_USD_5_default.png]
05-06-2015 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
RE: kanthal wire help
I have a 26 and 28 for my Mini, and have never needed anything else, although 24 wouldn't be bad to have on hand for a real cloud monster at some point.

24 is for getting more wraps but keeping it under .5 ohms and over 40 watts.  CLOUDZ.

26 is for "mid level" vaping, and makes awesome coils in the .6-1.0 ohm range, which I've found to be a sweet spot for the Sub.  This is also what I use for rebuilding the OCC's.  Works best between 15 and 30 or so watts.

28 is for what I call my "juice use reduction" coils, when I want to use less power and less juice but want a satisfying vape beyond what a pen can offer.  Best for .9 to 1.5 ohm coils and power between 9 and 18 watts.  Can also be good for the OCC's if you want a "weaker" version.  This is also what I use when I make crazy dual and even quad coil builds on the SubTank RTA that really wasn't intended for such things, lol.

Note that coil diameter also affects how this works, not only by changing the resistance but by altering the wick to coil ratio.  You'll get a feel for it pretty quick though.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
06-06-2015 12:44 AM
Finster Offline

Likes Given: 36
(06-06-2015 12:44 AM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  I have a 26 and 28 for my Mini, and have never needed anything else, although 24 wouldn't be bad to have on hand for a real cloud monster at some point.

24 is for getting more wraps but keeping it under .5 ohms and over 40 watts.  CLOUDZ.

26 is for "mid level" vaping, and makes awesome coils in the .6-1.0 ohm range, which I've found to be a sweet spot for the Sub.  This is also what I use for rebuilding the OCC's.  Works best between 15 and 30 or so watts.

28 is for what I call my "juice use reduction" coils, when I want to use less power and less juice but want a satisfying vape beyond what a pen can offer.  Best for .9 to 1.5 ohm coils and power between 9 and 18 watts.  Can also be good for the OCC's if you want a "weaker" version.  This is also what I use when I make crazy dual and even quad coil builds on the SubTank RTA that really wasn't intended for such things, lol.

Note that coil diameter also affects how this works, not only by changing the resistance but by altering the wick to coil ratio.  You'll get a feel for it pretty quick though.
What if anything do you know about rebuilding the throwaways? Like the little aspire coils? Certainly they are not 28? That wire (on the throwaway coils) is about twice as thick as human hair. Any idea what that gauge is?  I could swear the guy at the vape shop told me 36 but that doesn't seem right either. Not that I can't afford a $5 coil but I like to tinker.

[Image: 1428256800_20_1_USD_5_default.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2015 02:02 AM by Finster.)
06-06-2015 02:01 AM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Aspire?  I have no idea.  I have rebuilt the SubTank OCC's, I used 26 awg.  Most of the little coils for like ProTanks and the like,, if that's what you meant, I believe they use like 32; at least that's what I'd use if I wanted to rebuild those little things.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
06-06-2015 05:50 AM