Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
just sharing some way off-topic personal excitement
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 13,821
RE: just sharing some way off-topic personal excitement
Swampy likes potatoes (raw), turnip(raw), apples, plums (when he can steal them), onions if peeled, and just about anything else. It always impresses me the way he can crunch up and eat a turnip, those things are like wood.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
24-02-2019 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,203
(23-02-2019 10:29 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  
(23-02-2019 09:32 PM)paulS Wrote:  Nice. My little chi has never eaten commercial food. We cook her chicken, duck, sometimes a little pork. We don't go raw --- just boil or bake the meat.
Yayyy!  I hope you're not giving her cooked bones those are the dangerous ones. Did you know she can have veggies, too? And even some fruits. I'm absolutely tickled she's not eating commercial dog food, thank you!

She could have veggies but we need to sneak em in. She does not like fruit or veggies. Chihuahuas are very fussy eaters. And stubborn as all get out. Now befoore her we had a Great Dane (honest). She ate everything including the butter out of our fridge if she could. Only thing i saw her spit out were tomatoes. She got to a sald on the counter - ate it all but the tomatoes, lol.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
24-02-2019 04:37 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
ecignut (02-24-2019), TinWhisker (02-24-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 23,195
It may be that I am not giving my pups the diet of a royal, but I do love and take good care of my furballs. One thing I know... I lack the budget and the storage room to do a diet such as you suggest. They don't get chocolate and cooked bones, and other known baddies. They are always up to date on vaccinations and get annual checkups. I would like to pamper them further but it's not a logistically possible scenario. I figure, they get the odd squirrel and mole on occasion, that ought to supplement them enough! Lol

Passion can be lacking all too often, and you surely have plenty which is not a bad thing. Hopefully efforts like yours can lead to better oversight of the manufactured dog food industry so we can all benefit from your advocacy! That way those who can't manage a raw diet can still ensure that our hair-pals are cared for properly.
24-02-2019 04:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (02-24-2019), ShaggyKids (02-24-2019)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,889
Ah stuffed roast squirrel - I bet Chuck will have recipes for that - maybe mole too.[Image: tongue.gif]
24-02-2019 05:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
TinWhisker (02-24-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 23,195
(24-02-2019 05:56 PM)ecignut Wrote:  Ah stuffed roast squirrel - I bet Chuck will have recipes for that - maybe mole too.[Image: tongue.gif]

Tsk, tsk, Eddie. Raw only, you know!! Sleepy
24-02-2019 06:02 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (02-24-2019)
ShaggyKids Offline

Likes Given: 29
(24-02-2019 09:34 AM)Don Wrote:  I have fed the Assistant on raw, but it is a pricey proposition here.

At over £100 a month for him fed at the usual 3% of weight.
Here it's not really any more expensive than feeding high quality kibble. This is especially true when we look at the vet bills we don't have. They don't eat as much raw because they get more of what they need eating a smaller portion of raw than the recommended meal portion of commercial dog food.

I don't know how much this £100 is in U.S. currency but if it's around a hundred dollars a month for a dog the size of yours here that would be a drop in a bucket whether it's raw or commercial. Wink
24-02-2019 08:14 PM
ShaggyKids Offline

(24-02-2019 01:23 PM)Don Wrote:  Swampy likes potatoes (raw), turnip(raw), apples, plums (when he can steal them), onions if peeled, and just about anything else. It always impresses me the way he can crunch up and eat a turnip, those things are like wood.
Your pup must have an iron stomach and you've both been ***very*** lucky. If the seeds/pits are included in his fruits those are toxic. Potato skins are toxic and onions can kill. I've heard some dogs can handle these things but I'm not up for testing ours just to find out Wink
24-02-2019 08:22 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,889
Swampy can handle anything - he is one of the stars of the forum.[Image: smile.gif]
24-02-2019 08:24 PM
ShaggyKids Offline

(24-02-2019 04:37 PM)paulS Wrote:  
(23-02-2019 10:29 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  
(23-02-2019 09:32 PM)paulS Wrote:  Nice. My little chi has never eaten commercial food. We cook her chicken, duck, sometimes a little pork. We don't go raw --- just boil or bake the meat.
Yayyy!  I hope you're not giving her cooked bones those are the dangerous ones. Did you know she can have veggies, too? And even some fruits. I'm absolutely tickled she's not eating commercial dog food, thank you!

She could have veggies but we need to sneak em in. She does not like fruit or veggies. Chihuahuas are very fussy eaters. And stubborn as all get out. Now befoore her we had a Great Dane (honest). She ate everything including the butter out of our fridge if she could. Only thing i saw her spit out were tomatoes. She got to a sald on the counter - ate it all but the tomatoes, lol.
We had a fussy eater, too. We called her Diva Dog when she went into Diva mode. Yes, I believe you. We went from Yorkies to German Shepherds. She ate lettuce ????????? WOW! Amazing! I've never known a dog to eat lettuce. Good that she left the tomatoes alone, skins are toxic for dogs. She's no dummy Wink
24-02-2019 08:25 PM
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 13,821
(24-02-2019 08:22 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  
(24-02-2019 01:23 PM)Don Wrote:  Swampy likes potatoes (raw), turnip(raw), apples, plums (when he can steal them), onions if peeled, and just about anything else. It always impresses me the way he can crunch up and eat a turnip, those things are like wood.
Your pup must have an iron stomach and you've both been ***very*** lucky. If the seeds/pits are included in his fruits those are toxic. Potato skins are toxic and onions can kill. I've heard some dogs can handle these things but I'm not up for testing ours just to find out Wink

When you look at mg/kg, stuff that would kill smaller dogs doesn't affect him at all. He's stolen just about everything that dogs can't eat apart from chocolate and xylitol.

I used to spend my days working with really dangerous chemicals and have had (just) sub lethal doses of most of them back in the day. Cyanide is a potent intoxicant, but you do have to be a bit careful with the dose. Hydrogen sulphide and ozone are far, far nastier. When you stop smelling hydrogen sulphide, you are going to die.

Ozone I won't go near - that stuff is nasty.

There is no way he'll ever get anything even remotely dubious from me. But he'd learned to steal before I got him (He's a rescue) and it seems I can't train him out of it even with soaking everything he might even want to steal in Tabasco.

Apple seeds, he'd need to eat several tens of kilograms of - and not get the runs, to get a dangerous dose of cyanide. It isn't nearly as poisonous as most folks think. Heroin is more toxic (Not that he'll ever meet that.), the fastest recorded death from cyanide was a guy who fell into an electroplating tank. Cyanide is really useful for dissolving the metal of your choice by playing games with the pH. When the autopsy was done, turned out the guy had drowned, not died of cyanide poisoning.

Stones from fruits will normally pass through completely unaltered. And he doesn't get near things like mangos with monster stones he couldn't pass. I lived in Africa in a mango producing area back in the '80's and I'm completely mango'd out.

It is always the dose that makes the poison. My first degree was in Chemistry and I'm fully aware of the toxic risks to me and the Assistant. And am also aware that almost everything you have ever heard from any Public Health doctor type was completely made up.

I work with Public Health medics every day and those guys are so full of it it defies belief.

Take the Golden Paste craze.

Then take a good look at Retraction Watch and the physiological effects of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric. Every single paper has been retracted and the "researcher" sacked. Everything you have ever read about Golden Paste is simply a lie. All of the "evidence" was faked. And the responsible guy fired.

I work in a hospital and get very, very angry about 99% of health articles published. At best, they apply to 1% of the population. Mostly they are just plain wrong. And if published by a team of Public Health "doctors" they are utterly and completely made up as Public Health has forgotten what science actually is.

Feel free to substitute "vets" for "doctors" in this rant.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
24-02-2019 09:01 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (02-24-2019), Robjenko (02-25-2019), TinWhisker (02-24-2019)