Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how is your mixing going?
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
RE: how is your mixing going?
I am beginning to wonder about "steeping". It occurred to me that when I first got into vaping, I went to my local vape shop. I picked two flavors. Well she had the PG/VG base already in a 30ml bottle. She got the flavor I asked for, poured it in to the base, and shook it for a few minutes. The flavor was perfect, and it stayed that way until it was gone in a couple weeks. That being said, I just opened my two new bottles of home brew. They taste great, and have only been steeping for about 6 hours. I am beginning to wonder about steeping.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
03-06-2015 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
The other day I got two packages in the mail, one was a big bottle of 35mg nic (plus a few other cool things like kanthal and a bottle of juice) from jerryz, and a box of 30ml bottles of pre-made flavorless juice from 18sixfifty. I guess now I don't have an excuse, time to order a few flavors and get to mixing! 
03-06-2015 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Xprimentyl Offline

Likes Given: 402
(03-06-2015 12:17 AM)jerryz Wrote:  I am beginning to wonder about "steeping". It occurred to me that when I first got into vaping, I went to my local vape shop. I picked two flavors. Well she had the PG/VG base already in a 30ml bottle. She got the flavor I asked for, poured it in to the base, and shook it for a few minutes. The flavor was perfect, and it stayed that way until it was gone in a couple weeks. That being said, I just opened my two new bottles of home brew. They taste great, and have only been steeping for about 6 hours. I am beginning to wonder about steeping.

I’ve asked around behind this too, Jerry. The general consensus I’ve gotten is that some flavors benefit from steeping while others don’t; some need to steep longer than others and some are, like you said, good right out the gate. I’m certain a lot factors into it, but I’d have to guess primarily it’d be the quality and proportion of your ingredients. Perhaps when you mix up a batch, maybe split it into 3 bottles: one for immediate consumption, then let the other two steep for 1 week and 2 weeks respectively then compare? I jump around flavors so often that my bottles tend to steep just by default, though I’ve never returned to any one of them after a week to notice a resounding difference.

There's no ‘I’ in ‘TEAM.’ There’s no ‘U’ either. It doesn’t appear the TEAM needs us, so let’s go grab a beer!Drinks
03-06-2015 03:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Xprimentyl's post:
jerryz (06-03-2015), Michael (06-03-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

(03-06-2015 03:59 PM)Xprimentyl Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 12:17 AM)jerryz Wrote:  I am beginning to wonder about "steeping". It occurred to me that when I first got into vaping, I went to my local vape shop. I picked two flavors. Well she had the PG/VG base already in a 30ml bottle. She got the flavor I asked for, poured it in to the base, and shook it for a few minutes. The flavor was perfect, and it stayed that way until it was gone in a couple weeks. That being said, I just opened my two new bottles of home brew. They taste great, and have only been steeping for about 6 hours. I am beginning to wonder about steeping.

I’ve asked around behind this too, Jerry. The general consensus I’ve gotten is that some flavors benefit from steeping while others don’t; some need to steep longer than others and some are, like you said, good right out the gate. I’m certain a lot factors into it, but I’d have to guess primarily it’d be the quality and proportion of your ingredients. Perhaps when you mix up a batch, maybe split it into 3 bottles: one for immediate consumption, then let the other two steep for 1 week and 2 weeks respectively then compare? I jump around flavors so often that my bottles tend to steep just by default, though I’ve never returned to any one of them after a week to notice a resounding difference.
Well Ok..I will probably steep for a day or so, I just don't think a month is necessary. Did you guess JohnnieMac's Riddle correctly?

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
03-06-2015 04:46 PM
Xprimentyl Offline

Likes Given: 402
(03-06-2015 04:46 PM)jerryz Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 03:59 PM)Xprimentyl Wrote:  

Well Ok..I will probably steep for a day or so, I just don't think a month is necessary. Did you guess JohnnieMac's Riddle correctly?

Yessir, I did!! But I asked him to keep the contest going because I’m not a tobacco flavor fan and he wanted feedback on his recipe; figured it only be fair if that feedback came from someone with experience in and who appreciates tobacco juices!

There's no ‘I’ in ‘TEAM.’ There’s no ‘U’ either. It doesn’t appear the TEAM needs us, so let’s go grab a beer!Drinks
03-06-2015 05:06 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
The general consensus about steeping is like you said, some need it and some don't. But it doesn't matter how good the ingredients are, it all depends on the flavors. Custards and creams especially benefit from steeping, while fruity flavors are generally ready to vape as soon as they're mixed. From my experience, things like cinnabun, Apple pie, Custard, basically any bakery/dessert flavors all do very well when you let them steep for a while, and on the other hand things like piña colada, mixed berry, menthol, etc are good right away. I recently reviewed a menthol tobacco flavor from Real Extracts that had steeped over a year, and I got a very different flavor profile from what other customers reported after getting brand new bottles. So it definitely makes a difference, it's just more noticeable in some flavors than others. It's worth noting that some flavors can get really terrible if you let them steep too long, I've had some fruity flavors that were really good at first but I left them in my stash and forgot about them for a year and when I tried them again they tasted absolutely horrible. But in the end it all boils down to personal preference. I know that with Charlie's Custard, I love it straight out of the bottle, but if I let it steep for a week or two, it gets a little thicker and the flavor becomes more complex and richer. 
03-06-2015 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
jerryz (06-03-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Well Michael, I'm going to have to change my thoughts on steeping. I'm sure wine is pretty good right out the brewing vat, but much better when it ages. I guess my flavors were good enough, but they could be better. Back in the steeping box they go.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
03-06-2015 05:43 PM