Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
frustrating flavor problems
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,300
RE: frustrating flavor problems
Hi Deb - the .4ohm coil will vape really well at around 30W or even a bit lower - you may be surprised at the improvement in flavour as well. The coils will last longer at the lower power too - they advertise higher power to get you to use more coils and more power does not mean a better vape.
30-01-2019 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 22,351
(30-01-2019 07:00 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  On my SMOK screen it came set at 0.230 OHMS which is where I left it until a little while ago. It will go up to and stops at 0.280 which is where I have it set currently - not sure this adjustment made any difference.
OK... so it looks like you are adjusting the Ohm reading on the mod. That's a big no-no to be honest, as for our Vaping and custom settings, that is the one thing that actually doesn't change. (I've had mods with that ability and I don't like that it exists as an option, honestly, because it is terribly misleading.) And yes, it has made a big difference, at least to the mod.

Forgive me if you already know this, but for thread purposes I am going to say it. Our vaping world is governed by Ohm's Law, the same laws that govern all electric devices. Ohm's Law is the relationship between voltage, resistance, and amperage. All of their values are dependent on each other's values. And for our vaping purposes, resistance (Ohms) is the one variable we CAN'T change. That is simply the measurement of the resistance of electricity to flow through the conductor (the coil itself). That is a fixed value that depends on the physical properties of the coil itself.

The law states simply enough- I=V/R. I is amps or current flow, V is voltage, and R is resistance. As you can see from the formula, change one and the other two change. Some mods let you adjust the resistance, but it is only there in case your resistance reading is inaccurate compared to a voltmeter. It would only be a very small adjustment, and that's why you only have a small range to set. A thorough understanding of Ohm's Law is required before attempting to manipulate that setting, as it does have profound impact on the circuit, especially at the low Ohm values we use for vaping, which needs to be fully understood in order to attempt to modify a physical property. If you tell the mod that a .25 Ohm coil is actually a .4 Ohm coil, it will damage the coil or the mod, or the battery because it is not physically accurate. So don't ever change the resistance setting manually. I think it is dumb to have a manual resistance change feature available at all, but I've said that already.

Since the resistance of the coil is a fixed property, that leaves us with the ability to change the voltage (power setting), since the amps will take care of themselves thanks to the Law, and we needn't worry about that.

In short, the coil's resistance is fixed. The mod allows us to change the voltage (which you do by adjusting to the desired power), which will then change the amperage required to suit our desired setting. So never, ever change the resistance. Let the mod read it when you attach the coil, and use the mod's reported coil resistance to adjust your power level.

The coils have a range defined on them because that is the general range where the coil will perform best. So, for instance, if you are vaping a 70-80 watt coil at 50w, you are not getting the maximum flavor and vapor output that the coil was designed for. That would have some bearing on the experience you will get. If you want to vape at lower power levels, you must get a coil designed for your desired power level.
30-01-2019 07:25 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (01-30-2019)
ShaggyKids Offline

Likes Given: 27
(30-01-2019 07:22 PM)ecignut Wrote:  Hi Deb - the .4ohm coil will vape really well at around 30W or even a bit lower - you may be surprised at the improvement in flavour as well. The coils will last longer at the lower power too - they advertise higher power to get you to use more coils and more power does not mean a better vape.
Ok, thank you. I'll switch them out when I have less juice to lose in the tank, it's full right now. I'm scrimping on this new favorite juice until my order gets here and I have more, LOL! Wink
30-01-2019 08:20 PM
ShaggyKids Offline

(30-01-2019 07:25 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  
(30-01-2019 07:00 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  On my SMOK screen it came set at 0.230 OHMS which is where I left it until a little while ago. It will go up to and stops at 0.280 which is where I have it set currently - not sure this adjustment made any difference.
OK... so it looks like you are adjusting the Ohm reading on the mod. That's a big no-no to be honest, as for our Vaping and custom settings, that is the one thing that actually doesn't change. (I've had mods with that ability and I don't like that it exists as an option, honestly, because it is terribly misleading.) And yes, it has made a big difference, at least to the mod.

Forgive me if you already know this, but for thread purposes I am going to say it. Our vaping world is governed by Ohm's Law, the same laws that govern all electric devices. Ohm's Law is the relationship between voltage, resistance, and amperage. All of their values are dependent on each other's values. And for our vaping purposes, resistance (Ohms) is the one variable we CAN'T change. That is simply the measurement of the resistance of electricity to flow through the conductor (the coil itself). That is a fixed value that depends on the physical properties of the coil itself.

The law states simply enough- I=V/R. I is amps or current flow, V is voltage, and R is resistance. As you can see from the formula, change one and the other two change. Some mods let you adjust the resistance, but it is only there in case your resistance reading is inaccurate compared to a voltmeter. It would only be a very small adjustment, and that's why you only have a small range to set. A thorough understanding of Ohm's Law is required before attempting to manipulate that setting, as it does have profound impact on the circuit, especially at the low Ohm values we use for vaping, which needs to be fully understood in order to attempt to modify a physical property. If you tell the mod that a .25 Ohm coil is actually a .4 Ohm coil, it will damage the coil or the mod, or the battery because it is not physically accurate. So don't ever change the resistance setting manually.  I think it is dumb to have a manual resistance change feature available at all, but I've said that already.

Since the resistance of the coil is a fixed property, that leaves us with the ability to change the voltage (power setting), since the amps will take care of themselves thanks to the Law, and we needn't worry about that.

In short, the coil's resistance is fixed. The mod allows us to change the voltage (which you do by adjusting to the desired power), which will then change the amperage required to suit our desired setting. So never, ever change the resistance. Let the mod read it when you attach the coil, and use the mod's reported coil resistance to adjust your power level.

The coils have a range defined on them because that is the general range where the coil will perform best. So, for instance, if you are vaping a 70-80 watt coil at 50w, you are not getting the maximum flavor and vapor output that the coil was designed for. That would have some bearing on the experience you will get. If you want to vape at lower power levels, you must get a coil designed for your desired power level.
Wow, very complete response and to your favor this electric idiot can almost understand it, LOL! That's not a complaint so don't take that wrong. I really am an electricity idiot so what I'm getting out of your explanation is DO NOT CHANGE THAT STUFF so I'm not going to anymore. It's all been put back to where it was before I played. I really was kinda scared to do it cuz of the potential for danger ... I totally agree, if it's there it means you can play with it but since one shouldn't play it shouldn't be there. Idiot manufacturers.

I've tried going up higher than 50w on mine and hubby's devices and at least for now way to much for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it gets really hot really fast and I personally didn't get any enjoyment out of it and it made me cough. HOWEVER - since I wasn't getting any flavor I will try again once I have juice that I can actually taste. Currently I'm happy with both my SMOK and my Baby Snowwolf @ between 40 & 50w.

Vaping at higher watts will also make me go through juice faster, won't it?
30-01-2019 08:42 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ShaggyKids's post:
Don (01-30-2019), TinWhisker (01-30-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Vaping at higher watts means faster juice consumption, you bet. I was a 40-60w vaper but I am now in the 20's because I like the savings, personally.

My post there was a super high level, tiny scratch on the surface. There's TONS to know, and I'd love to just drone on and on, but I won't. There are so many aspects and variables to account for, it's a wonder any of us ever get it right. Lol
30-01-2019 08:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Don (01-30-2019), ecignut (01-30-2019)
ShaggyKids Offline

(30-01-2019 08:59 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Vaping at higher watts means faster juice consumption, you bet. I was a 40-60w vaper but I am now in the 20's because I like the savings, personally.

My post there was a super high level, tiny scratch on the surface. There's TONS to know, and I'd love to just drone on and on, but I won't. There are so many aspects and variables to account for, it's a wonder any of us ever get it right. Lol
That's for sure and why I'm so drowning in misunderstandings and research overload which is a bad habit I have. I've read (too) many an article and wind up confusing myself which is what typically happens. I'm not looking to be an expert just wanting to learn enough to get rid of my frustration and make vaping a pleasant habit.

Coming to this forum I've already cured my main issue about flavor Wink I'd tried numerous things that didn't work. Came here and the matter of a few hours I was on my way *in the right direction* to fixing.

What's odd is that when we went to the vape store with my problem they never once mentioned changing up the juice ratio. Now I'm wondering what they serve up for taste testing - something like 50/50 or 60/40 and then when you find flavors you like they grab a 70/30 bottle and that's what you get sold. You think you're getting the same thing you just drooled over in the store because when I put it in my own device it's not like it was in the store. A little Bait'n'Switch maybe?

THANKS SO MUCH you guys! After all this frustration and too much money spent on stuff that didn't work I'm sooooooooooo enjoying tasting my juice! I'm now wishing I'd swapped out cigarettes for vaping a long time ago.
30-01-2019 11:03 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like ShaggyKids's post:
Don (01-31-2019), Fatboy (01-30-2019), TinWhisker (01-31-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

(30-01-2019 11:03 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  I'm now wishing I'd swapped out cigarettes for vaping a long time ago.

Now *that* is what we like to hear. Really glad you've moved on to the enjoyment phase. We just have to get you and the Mr. along to the point where you get into DIY. It is then that all the Ohm's Law and deeper aspects come into play. And when you transition from smoking cessation to hobby. I'm sure we are all just holding back our tongues waiting to dispense all sorts of advice, tips, and tricks.

Here's to continued enjoyment of your journey!
31-01-2019 03:34 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Don (01-31-2019), ecignut (01-31-2019)
ShaggyKids Offline

(31-01-2019 03:34 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  
(30-01-2019 11:03 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  I'm now wishing I'd swapped out cigarettes for vaping a long time ago.

Now *that* is what we like to hear. Really glad you've moved on to the enjoyment phase. We just have to get you and the Mr. along to the point where you get into DIY. It is then that all the Ohm's Law and deeper aspects come into play. And when you transition from smoking cessation to hobby. I'm sure we are all just holding back our tongues waiting to dispense all sorts of advice, tips, and tricks.

Here's to continued enjoyment of your journey!
Me thinks you're gonna be waiting a very long time if ever for that. Wink 

I can't even figure out what tank the part of a tank I found on the floor this morning belongs to! Eeeeeeks! I fixed the one that wasn't working yesterday (had a bad coil) and as far as I know I have 3 working tanks so where this little doo-dad came from I have no idea but I know it belongs to one of them. 
31-01-2019 05:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShaggyKids's post:
TinWhisker (01-31-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

The tanks should come with instructions, or at least some guidance online that will help you sort it. Some tanks come with doo-dads, some come with bits and bobs. Hard to tell them all apart.
31-01-2019 05:57 PM
ShaggyKids Offline

(30-01-2019 08:59 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Vaping at higher watts means faster juice consumption, you bet. I was a 40-60w vaper but I am now in the 20's because I like the savings, personally.

Ok, so I really like what you said about saving money. I'm currently in the 40-60 range as well. Husband is even higher but he's fighting some pretty heavy duty nicotine demons - 50 years of smoking 3-4 packs a day so he's struggling but has made some significant improvements. 

I simply finished my last cig in December without any issues. I didn't start vaping until 2 weeks later and I didn't start because I was going nuts w/o caffeine. When I did start vaping I started at 0 nicotine and have remained there. I guess I must have been really ready to quit smoking or something because I don't miss it one bit. On the other hand I think I have created a vape monster in it's place. Scratch_one-s_head

Do you mind sharing the specifics of what you did to get down to 20's? Like a little step by step would be great unless it's too long to write out. I'm hoping I don't need to buy different devices to accomplish this. 
31-01-2019 06:25 PM