Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ever been told you cannot vape somewhere and agreed?
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
ever been told you cannot vape somewhere and agreed?
Ok. I go on a lot of sites around the country.

I've been places where there is accute concern about causing a hydrogen explosion (water bottle in aluminium foundry), I've fixed a fridge on an area designated "bomb test range two".

Sort of stuff you dont tend to encounter day to day.

Today was one of those days. I was on foulness island southend on sea, and you can see the tank I was working on on google maps, I've looked.

Anyway. At the security gate, I had to surrender any potential forms of ignition - phones etc for starters. I volunteered my ecigs. They are potential forms of ignition in a potentially explosive environment - contact arcing for starters. As I also demonstrated here.

So has anyone else been anywhere, and been told/volunteered they shouldn't vape for safety reasons? The guy there was a smoker and actually quite impressed, he also wasn't aware of the potential risk they posed so was greatful for the insight.
12-07-2014 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,986
RE: ever been told you cannot vape somewhere and agreed?
I've never been told that but kudos to you for being safe and responsible. I know people who would have ignored the rules regardless of what they were and did it just to be hip...

I think we develop a little more common sense situational awareness as we mature Tongue
12-07-2014 09:12 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
When you've been driving past area's such as ordinance magazine 4, it tends to focus your mind a little
12-07-2014 09:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
scotty8392 Offline

Likes Given: 8
I don't cape when I'm welding as I'd I leave a regulated mod on the bench or if it makes contact with my bench when welding I recon I'd fry the chip ilso oxy acetylene is highly conbustiable 
12-07-2014 10:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotty8392's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 987
I vape all the time welding. I just try to keep my mod away from hot areas. And not too worried about acetylene. If I can weld around it, I can vape around it. 

Can't say I have been in a situation where vaping could be potentially dangerous 

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
12-07-2014 11:04 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pulsar's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
I haven't but if I was still in the military I wouldn't have one on me while playing with C4. Well it's not the C4 but the detonators that can get you. Even static electricity can possibly set them off. C4 you can light on fire or toss it around. Just don't light it on fire and then stomp it out. It takes heat and pressure to go off.

We used to get to play with these and I wouldn't vape while setting one of them either. These warning used to crack me up. I also used to joke that if our position got over-ran I would tape one to my helmet and go out with a bang. I've got a few funny stories about these little buggers.

[Image: orig.jpg]

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
13-07-2014 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like 18sixfifty's post:
gords1001 (07-13-2014), Spasmod (07-13-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,986
So clearly I'm safe now since I can read the text telling me the front is towards the enemy ?
13-07-2014 10:00 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Spasmod's post:
18sixfifty (07-13-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
(13-07-2014 10:00 AM)Spasmod Wrote:  So clearly I'm safe now since I can read the text telling me the front is towards the enemy ?

Umm sure you could try it that way!Undecided I thought it was just funny that it needed to be stated, like you would point the front towards yourself. But then again everyone gets a case of the dumbshits once in a while.

One time in training our LT thought he would be smart and set his off first as a signal for everyone else to follow. Thing was that once his went off all the other ones fell over so when we hit our clackers there was a rain of BB coming down everywhere but on target. Another time we went to clear some wire and he had the bright idea of using C4 and those green posts for holding up wire fencing. We taped a pound of C4 on the inside of two of them stuck together and slid it under the wire and set it off. It worked alright, the wire blew sky high. So did the two posts and one came down and embedded itself in the ground about a foot from his head. Even under his camo you could see his face turn white.

Those are claymore mines by the way, the little feet fold out and you stick them in the ground to hold them up. Pretty flimsy. I think they were designed for Georgia red clay and definitely not sand. The detonators go in the top and you run a wire back to your position and use a clacker with a battery in it to set them off. Nasty little buggers really. I set them up in combat but thankfully didn't have to use them.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
13-07-2014 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like 18sixfifty's post:
BOB (07-13-2014), Spasmod (07-13-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
(13-07-2014 11:13 AM)18sixfifty Wrote:  
(13-07-2014 10:00 AM)Spasmod Wrote:  So clearly I'm safe now since I can read the text telling me the front is towards the enemy ?

Umm sure you could try it that way!Undecided I thought it was just funny that it needed to be stated, like you would point the front towards yourself. But then again everyone gets a case of the dumbshits once in a while.

One time in training our LT thought he would be smart and set his off first as a signal for everyone else to follow. Thing was that once his went off all the other ones fell over so when we hit our clackers there was a rain of BB coming down everywhere but on target. Another time we went to clear some wire and he had the bright idea of using C4 and those green posts for holding up wire fencing. We taped a pound of C4 on the inside of two of them stuck together and slid it under the wire and set it off. It worked alright, the wire blew sky high. So did the two posts and one came down and embedded itself in the ground about a foot from his head. Even under his camo you could see his face turn white.

Those are claymore mines by the way, the little feet fold out and you stick them in the ground to hold them up. Pretty flimsy. I think they were designed for Georgia red clay and definitely not sand. The detonators go in the top and you run a wire back to your position and use a clacker with a battery in it to set them off. Nasty little buggers really. I set them up in combat but thankfully didn't have to use them.
Awesome post! Big Grin
13-07-2014 01:10 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-07-2016)