Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
double clapton?
hukman Offline

Likes Given: 0
double clapton?
ok so as far as i understand claptons are wires wrapped in a smaller gauge wire then turned into a coil. what would happen if you used the clapton process to make a double clapton wire using a clapton wire as a base and another clapton as a wrap? ive never done this before but the thought of starting to build my own coils have many wacky designs come into mind lol. thoughts on this?
20-09-2018 11:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,986
RE: double clapton?
As long as it's vape safe wire, you can wrap and build almost anything provided that you know and fully understand ohms law!

Use Steam Engine to determine the number of wraps. Use a good Ohms meter to validate the end product.
21-09-2018 12:05 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
gentlydoingit* (09-21-2018)
hukman Offline

Likes Given: 0
(21-09-2018 12:05 AM)Fatboy Wrote:  As long as it's vape safe wire, you can wrap and build almost anything provided that you know and fully understand ohms law!

Use Steam Engine to determine the number of wraps. Use a good Ohms meter to validate the end product.
i understand i could do it but do you think it would be worth it. all i know about ohms law is not to go below .1 ohms or above 5.0 ohms on my mod and that a double coil reduces the ohms by half. still not sure how to determine what watts to vape at lol
21-09-2018 01:05 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,435
You'll have an awful lot of metal to heat up, even with 28g cores, you'll have a 'flavour coil' that'll be pretty girthy.. assuming I'm visualising your description accurately. 

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
21-09-2018 12:47 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Fatboy (09-21-2018)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,890
Claptons are popular because the extra surface area of the Claptoning (the outer wrap) holds more juice, so more flavor. Also, since the outer wrap is typically a lot thinner than the core, it doesn't change the electrical properties of the coil vs. the same core without the wrap (path of least resistance and all that). So, if you take that setup, then roll another entire Clapton setup on top of it, you're getting a little wonky and forcing the first (core) Clapton to participate in the circuit , rather than be just a flavor carrier as intended. So I don't know what that would do to your vape. But as Gently said, this would be a really meaty coil requiring a lot of power and retaining a lot of heat. In my mind I picture an uncomfortably hot and battery draining experience.

As long as you are doing your testing safely and working within the limits of the component designs, you're free to try anything. If you do this, let us know how it goes.
21-09-2018 02:16 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (09-21-2018), Robjenko (09-22-2018)