Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
discussion on vaping accidents?
ShaggyKids Offline

Likes Given: 27
discussion on vaping accidents?
Hi there,

I just reread the rules and it seems I can post this because safety is promoted here. Mods - if I'm wrong feel free to delete this. 

I'm wondering if any of you are keeping track of, have studied or researched, have any statistics (or know where to find them) or anything of the sort on vaping accidents like when a device explodes and hurts someone or worse? I just read an article today - it's scary what can happen. Obviously so is driving a car has it's dangers. I am wanting to be as safe as possible vaping and I'm curious so hoping for some discussion/feedback/thoughts.

Do these accidents seem to be more or less restricted to one one kind of device? The few stories I've read all seem to mention a vaping pen. The guy at the vape store's belief is that it's the build your own devices that aren't built safe enough or more precisely in his mind the builder goes overboard on his creation he's so proud of and it winds up blowing up. I've found myself doing what I think is called chain vaping, can that contribute? 

I'm just thinking out loud right now ... feel free to jump in!

Deb
05-02-2019 11:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 22,039
RE: discussion on vaping accidents?
Most, the vast majority- are improper use and handling of the devices.

Question... there are two documented cases of deaths related to vaping. How many deaths can be associated with smoking?
06-02-2019 12:32 AM
ShaggyKids Offline

Likes Given: 27
I do get your point, but where I'm going with this is (and I apologize if I wasn't clear) are there perhaps certain devices that seem to be more dangerous than others? Like pens for example. And maybe was it ever determined if the user mis-used it or wasn't following safety techniques.

The article I read today the man died - his was a pen that exploded. 
06-02-2019 12:58 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,573
From an article I linked in another topic earlier

"There were 195 separate e-cigarette fire and explosion incidents in the United States reported by the media between 2009 and 2016, according to a report by the US Fire Administration."

Most that I have read have been due to battery mishandling, li-ion cells can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Others have been poor quality built devices, perhaps they are cheap knock-offs or missed the factory quality control checks who knows.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
06-02-2019 01:28 AM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 20,880
There are many unknown facts regarding the incident currently in the media. I suspect that it could be a knock-off device or a defective device - cars get recalled all of the time, mechanical failure happens regardless of how careful or safe anything is - remember NASA and the shuttles?
I've watched MOST of the posted videos on device failure(s) and the absolute majority are directly attributed to poor handling of cells - still amazes me how after all of the media focus and all of the work done by so many people, I still occasionally see people doing stupid stuff.....when I call them out, each one knows exactly what is wrong with what they are doing, but do it anyway..... there is no cure for stupid....
That all said, many (quite a few even here) have experienced lithium cell or lipo failures....we need to always be vigilant as we are dealing with a mechanical device and a cylinder of mixed chemicals - many place cells on chargers and leave it there unattended for hours or days.....I can go on and on, we all need to be responsible for our own actions and our decisions....
06-02-2019 03:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
TinWhisker (02-06-2019)
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

As stated, that article is far too bereft of information for any of us to draw a conclusion. But based on everything I've read and seen, mishandling of the devices is far and away the leading cause of incidents and accidents. Faulty electronic devices do slip through and get into the mainstream, as is true in just about all aspects of manufacturing. But they are a small fraction of incident causes compared to misuse/mishandling. I doubt we will see much more information about that article from yesterday, but I would like to know more. Not to cast aspersions on the fellow, but rather to know what the device was and how it was being used, as well as his level of experience with vaping.

So, are there certain brands or types to be most worried about? Categorically, no. But mechanical mods are frequently cause for explosions and injuries that are reported, because they lack by nature the inherent safety features of regulated mods. That becomes an issue when vapers that do not comprehend or care about the safety aspects involved in vaping use them.

For your purposes, common sense is the best protection against a major issue. The 18650 battery you are using is generally safe when properly used, but when misused or mistreated it can get angry fast. So, charge them in an appropriate charger. Keep them in cases or sleeves when not in use. Do not drop them, do not toss them in your purse or pocket without a cover or case. Do not try to use them near or above the limits of their design abilities. Check them for nicks or tears in the battery wrap.
06-02-2019 02:39 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Smiling Ogre (02-08-2019)
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

OK, found a different article about that story...

https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/texas-man-...-vape-pen/

Says the device had "Smok-E Mountain Mech Works" written on it... They seem to sell only mechanical mods. If the guy was at the vape shop asking for advice on how to use it, this suggests the worst possible scenario- a new vaper using a mech mod. That is usually a very bad combination.
06-02-2019 02:51 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Don (02-06-2019), Fatboy (02-06-2019), gentlydoingit* (02-06-2019), mike.williams (02-07-2019), Robjenko (02-06-2019)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 13,090
What I’m about to say smacks of blaming the victim...

I’d bet money it was a “hybrid” mod. True hybrids are rare but safer. What are called hybrids often can easily hard short a cell. This is never good.

Look at something like a Golden Greek TS and Ithaka or an Aqua 1 in an Origin mod. Neither of those can hard short a cell.

That is hybrid done right. And is how they are intended to be used.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
06-02-2019 03:02 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
Fatboy (02-06-2019), Robjenko (02-06-2019), TinWhisker (02-06-2019)
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Article also says...

Quote:The newspaper also cited US Fire Administration statistics from 2017 showing that 133 acute injuries from e-cigarettes, vaporizers and other similar devices were reported between 2009 and 2016. Most of the fires and explosions occurred while the device was being used or stored in a pocket and none had resulted in death, according to the report.

A little perspective, to bring it all home...

Quote:Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.

For every person who dies because of smoking, at least 30 people live with a serious smoking-related illness.

That means that during the period where 133 acute but non-fatal injuries have been caused by vaping (accidents, not disease either, mind you), 3,360,000 people have *died* from smoking related illnesses, and 100,800,000 people have suffered illnesses related to smoking. And this is only in the United States. Worldwide figures are monumentally higher.

I know that's of little consequence when *you* are the one person killed by an exploding vape, but think of this when you hear people tell you that vaping is just as dangerous as smoking...
06-02-2019 03:28 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (02-06-2019), gentlydoingit* (02-06-2019), mike.williams (02-07-2019), Robjenko (02-06-2019)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,117
It is awful that this happened to the guy but it has to be put in context with the number of vapers there are - as already stated. I have been on the forum now for nearly four years and during that time we have lost a few members who were unhappy at us banging on about safety but none of the staff I am sure will make any apology about that. It is by far the most important duty of this forum and the staff to keep it in the front of peoples minds - all the time.
06-02-2019 07:14 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like ecignut's post:
gentlydoingit* (02-07-2019), mike.williams (02-07-2019), Robjenko (02-06-2019), TinWhisker (02-06-2019)