Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
coils and cotton wool
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
coils and cotton wool
This is the start of my playing.

I got my rsst today, it is a genesis style atomiser, so tank below, top deck with coil and wick.
Many set these up with stainless mesh and a coil, unfortunately mine didn't come with any and I dont have any here, bastos with and wrapping a coil proved an arse, so I decided to have a go at the drill bit method and cotton wool.

http://www.toddsreviews.com/2012/12/the-...e.html?m=1

I used four wraps of .3 kanthal around a terminal driver to make a coil,  it tested at 1.7ohm on my fluke and 1.3ohm on my vamo.

I then rolled out a needle point of cotton wool and wound it down through the coil to the bottom of the tank.

I did have to open out the rsst airhole to 1.5mm but other than that its working great, good flavour and looks awesome on my little private v2.

Very pleased with this set up and it should prove ideal for a day to day vape.

Has anyone else tried experimenting with cotton wool yet? I cant wait to get a micro coil in here now.
04-11-2013 09:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
Galaxyrider (06-30-2014)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
RE: coils and cotton wool
I played a little with it on my first Igo build but I didn't really do it right.

As soon as I get myself a blowtorch I'm definitely giving this a try

04-11-2013 10:28 PM
gords1001 Offline

That's a real good, interesting method, thanks for sharing, I can see my igo-w working very well with that on the vamo.

The rsst is working real well for me, no worries about having to drip and it suits the private perfectly. Big Grin
05-11-2013 10:23 AM
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
I've watched a lot of Rips tuts on making coils, I've seen coils wound on screws, and wicked with silica, and I just think cotton is going to be my preferred method. If someone would be so kind as to tell me the difference in "spaced" coils, and "compressed" I would really appreciate it.
I would like to know how to make a simple, "go to" coil that I can use that will be in the 1.7-2.0 ohm range until I get a little more versed in making coils.

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
30-06-2014 04:04 AM
gords1001 Offline

Micro coils and cotton here. They just hold together better during wick changes. I'll explain more later.
30-06-2014 06:59 AM
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(04-11-2013 09:29 PM)gords1001 Wrote:  This is the start of my playing.

I got my rsst today, it is a genesis style atomiser, so tank below, top deck with coil and wick.
Many set these up with stainless mesh and a coil, unfortunately mine didn't come with any and I dont have any here, bastos with and wrapping a coil proved an arse, so I decided to have a go at the drill bit method and cotton wool.

http://www.toddsreviews.com/2012/12/the-...e.html?m=1

I used four wraps of .3 kanthal around a terminal driver to make a coil,  it tested at 1.7ohm on my fluke and 1.3ohm on my vamo.

I then rolled out a needle point of cotton wool and wound it down through the coil to the bottom of the tank.

I did have to open out the rsst airhole to 1.5mm but other than that its working great, good flavour and looks awesome on my little private v2.

Very pleased with this set up and it should prove ideal for a day to day vape.

Has anyone else tried experimenting with cotton wool yet? I cant wait to get a micro coil in here now.
Could you give me a more in depth explanation about the top deck with coil and wick? I've seen that kind of set up, but have always leaned more toward the bottom feeders. I'm definitely a cotton wicking type I think Ive had silica in my EGOs and I think cotton would pass flavor better. Im hoping today to get a Kayfun to go on my Lavatube. This is a necessitated move as I no longer have a local supplier for the EGO type coils I need.
After all, learning something new is ususally a good thing, right?Good

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
30-06-2014 01:45 PM
gords1001 Offline

Essentially.

Make a micro coil. Feed in your cotton down into the tank. Jobs done. You have to do the genesis tilt still but it does work.

If I can make a recommendation.

Just get a fogger v4, it firmly kicks a kayfuns arse in every respect.

Here's a deck photo from earlier.

[Image: 20140630_193550_zpsoye421gl.jpg]

Thats .45 kanthal. So its fairly low resistance, but works well, gives great flavour and is cheaper than many kayfun clones and much much cheaper than genuine kayfuns.

Dual coil is no different to single coil. You just need to know that it halves the total resistance. So for a 1ohm build you need two 2ohm coils. I'm significantly below that with no issues yet but I intend to push it hard to try and melt some insulators.
30-06-2014 08:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
Don (06-30-2014)