Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
chart or ??? for buying replacement parts / compatibility & safety
ShaggyKids Offline

Likes Given: 27
RE: chart or ??? for buying replacement parts / compatibility & safety
(01-02-2019 04:05 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Deb, if you take just one word of my advice, that would be- Listen to Fatboy. This fellow knows his stuff in spades.
Ok will do! There is someone in every forum I've ever been a member at who is the designated favorite expert and it's always nice to know who that is Smile 
01-02-2019 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShaggyKids's post:
TinWhisker (02-01-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 22,351
He's definitely one of them! We're fortunate enough to have several here.
01-02-2019 05:08 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 20,924
(01-02-2019 04:51 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 03:58 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  Hi Deb, I don't think anyone addressed the "old/new" message. Anytime you swap out a tank or mod, the mod will read the newly attached tank and identify that a new tank with a different coil and ohms has been attached. When this happens click YES and the mod will adjust to the new tank automatically. In most cases the only limitation(s) on attaching any new tank to a mod is that some tanks may not fit on the mod due to design.

If you are looking for a decent tank, I would suggest the Vaporesso ESTOC that is available from most importers. Flavour is really good, coils are inexpensive and tank is extremely durable. I've used them at anything from 20W to 60W without issue.
Thank you so much for this info. I was going to inquire more on this tank stuff this morning and you already answered some of it Smile Great to know about the yes/no selection. Smile 

I am now wondering about is that although almost any (510) tank will fit our devices I still need to purchase tanks that are in the same watt range, correct? I like what I have and have tried higher power and don't like or need it. I'm asking only to learn and to keep safe.

If you see a tank you like, go to the manufacturer website (or even most importer sites) and the description will outline ranges of coils available. the LOWER the Ohms, the HIGHER the wattage required. I would avoid the cloud chaser tanks like the TFV8/TVF12 type tanks as they perform best in the 90+W range (I sometimes run my TFV8 @ 123W - yes a juice guzzler and a hot vape but I like my coffee and some pastry vapes hot. Smile

The selection of available tanks is almost endless - my suggestion is to read the thread on tanks and some of the reviews posted here on TVF - I generally avoid youtube as those reviewers rarely say anything negative (it's not in their best interest to review negative as the free stuff for future reviews will stop arriving)

My other suggestion is if you are planning on buying online, post here what you are looking at and chances are someone here has one or has used that particular tank. You'll at least have a better level of confidence on what you are purchasing.

You existing mods will work fine on 95% of the available tanks on the market.
01-02-2019 05:14 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
TinWhisker (02-01-2019)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 20,924
(01-02-2019 04:52 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 04:05 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Deb, if you take just one word of my advice, that would be- Listen to Fatboy. This fellow knows his stuff in spades.
Ok will do! There is someone in every forum I've ever been a member at who is the designated favorite expert and it's always nice to know who that is Smile 

Thank you but I'm no expert - I'm approaching 3 years vaping (kicked 35 year habit) and have been through my journey as others have. Like you, I was determined to vape (and $$$$ was secondary) and I too made some impulse purchases in my quest for decent gear.

I'm the resident OCD member. Tongue
01-02-2019 05:30 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Fatboy's post:
Don (02-01-2019), ShaggyKids (02-01-2019), TinWhisker (02-01-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Don't let FB tell you he's no expert. He's quite got a knack for pairing gear to people, and I haven't seen one time where someone didn't like a recommendation.

In summary- It is not the *tank* that you need to worry about with the desired power ranges. It is the *coils* that are available with the tank that will matter.
01-02-2019 05:55 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Don (02-01-2019), Fatboy (02-01-2019), ShaggyKids (02-01-2019)
ShaggyKids Offline

Interesting ... "the LOWER the Ohms, the HIGHER the wattage required" ... somehow I managed to wind up with two sub ohm tanks, apparently I was not paying enough attention. I read in several places that sub ohm tanks are more dangerous which has been bothering me. Anyone care to give me some feedback on this?
01-02-2019 06:41 PM
ecignut Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,300
(01-02-2019 06:41 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  Interesting ... "the LOWER the Ohms, the HIGHER the wattage required" ... somehow I managed to wind up with two sub ohm tanks, apparently I was not paying enough attention. I read in several places that sub ohm tanks are more dangerous which has been bothering me. Anyone care to give me some feedback on this?
Hi Deb - they are no more dangerous than any other tank. They need more power to run them so that any danger is not from the tank but the mod and using a regulated mod takes away most of the danger as it will not fire under conditions that could make it dangerous. It is the batteries that make the danger but the way you will vape it will be only from damaged batteries  that would be dangerous - always inspect batteries regularly - any damage to the casing should mean new batteries unless you want to re-wrap them.
01-02-2019 06:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ecignut's post:
TinWhisker (02-01-2019)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

(01-02-2019 06:41 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  I read in several places that sub ohm tanks are more dangerous which has been bothering me. Anyone care to give me some feedback on this?[/font][/size][/color]

Sub-ohm, by literal definition, means "less than one Ohm resistance". That is common in vaping, and not dangerous. Typically, a coil built under 1 Ohm is used for DL or Direct Lung vaping, whereas you draw straight to your lungs. 1 Ohm and up is typically for MTL or Mouth To Lung vaping, which is more typical of how you smoke a fag. Draw into the mouth, then inhale to the lungs.

DL and sub-ohm is not dangerous. The dangers come when DIY builders on mechanical mods build extremely low Ohm, like 0.1 and below. Care and comprehensive safety knowledge is required for that sort of thing. I don't do it and have no intention to. You will not find a disposable coil built to dangerous levels.
01-02-2019 06:56 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (02-01-2019), ShaggyKids (02-01-2019)
paulS Online
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,187
(01-02-2019 04:51 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 03:58 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  Hi Deb, I don't think anyone addressed the "old/new" message. Anytime you swap out a tank or mod, the mod will read the newly attached tank and identify that a new tank with a different coil and ohms has been attached. When this happens click YES and the mod will adjust to the new tank automatically. In most cases the only limitation(s) on attaching any new tank to a mod is that some tanks may not fit on the mod due to design.

If you are looking for a decent tank, I would suggest the Vaporesso ESTOC that is available from most importers. Flavour is really good, coils are inexpensive and tank is extremely durable. I've used them at anything from 20W to 60W without issue.
Thank you so much for this info. I was going to inquire more on this tank stuff this morning and you already answered some of it Smile Great to know about the yes/no selection. Smile 

I am now wondering about is that although almost any (510) tank will fit our devices I still need to purchase tanks that are in the same watt range, correct? I like what I have and have tried higher power and don't like or need it. I'm asking only to learn and to keep safe.

Most mods list the minimum ohms for the coil it will support. It will not fire a coil that is too low. However, some devices like DNAs fire quite low builds and coils. So yes, purchase a tank that is meant to be vaped at the wattage you like. Most tanks list the available coils and the recommended wattages for the coil. You need only be careful with RTAs and RBAs which you build yourself.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
01-02-2019 07:01 PM
ShaggyKids Offline

(01-02-2019 05:30 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 04:52 PM)ShaggyKids Wrote:  

Thank you but I'm no expert - I'm approaching 3 years vaping (kicked 35 year habit) and have been through my journey as others have. Like you, I was determined to vape (and $$$$ was secondary) and I too made some impulse purchases in my quest for decent gear.  

I'm the resident OCD member. Tongue
Maybe OCD is my problem or at least part of it, LOL! After I quit smoking I didn't panic when I didn't have a cig in the house. In fact I didn't even think about it much. and didn't even start vaping until like 2 weeks after quitting smoking and that's only because I happened to run across a very old vaping device when I tried it probably 10 years ago and didn't like it. In those two weeks I was fine, no issues. But now I do find myself panicking if I forget to grab a device. Weird, heh?
01-02-2019 08:07 PM