Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
challenge/game - please play along
Fatboy Online
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,012
challenge/game - please play along
Okay so you just became the front counter employee at a local vape shop. (got a PT job to help a friend who just opened the shop, just inherited some $$$ and decided to open a place of your own - reason you are behind the counter isn't the point)

Customer walks in and in chatting you determine the following:

50ish female customer
smoked for 30 years, a pack a day
really wants to quit and has friends who have quit by vaping
indicates money she will save as a non smoker more than will justify investment costs
business executive without a lot of time to be visiting vape shop on a daily/weekly basis

It's a decently well stocked shop, juices/mods, etc...

What do you recommend/suggest, or questions you may need to ask before making/getting to that step?
06-06-2016 01:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 3,001
RE: challenge/game - please play along
I'll play, purely from what I've read on this board. 

Does she want something that just plugs in to recharge, like an eGo?  I wouldn't recommend an ego because of future thread issues.  Kanger subvod

Is she OK with rechargeable batteries. The Balrog 70w starter kit.  An IPV D3 and Nautilus tank. 
06-06-2016 01:57 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bibliora's post:
Fatboy (06-06-2016)
phlash Offline

Likes Given: 264
  The first thing I usually ask is what style smoker they are. If they don't know, I explain the differences in mtl and dtl, then I show them the different price levels and explain the learning curve with each. I also throw in a five dollar discount anytime they give me their cigarettes. We have three levels of starter kits, we try to change these out monthly. One thing we do not offer is the big tobacco cigalike crap.
06-06-2016 04:54 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes phlash's post:
Fatboy (06-06-2016)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,279
I've outlined several times here my standard questionaire for people looking to quit smoking by vaping.  I don't have time to lay it out here, but there are 6 or 7 questions that can point you toward the right equipment and nic level very quickly.  From there, encourage her to take the time to test a bunch of flavors.  Good flavor selection is key for first time vaping quitters.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
06-06-2016 04:15 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
BOB (06-13-2016), Fatboy (06-06-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,353
I would have a few different recommendations depending on what she wants to get out of it. 

If she wants the feel of a cigarette, go with the Juul. It's a cigalike, but unlike any other cigalike I've tried. It hits hard and fast, just a few puffs feels like you just smoked a cigarette. The downside is it only has four flavors and the refills aren't cheap. Still, awesome if she wants to feel like she's smoking. It's the easiest "plug it in and vape" I've used. 

One step up from there would be a MTL tank/mod combo. That's for if she wants the vape to feel like a cigarette, with a tight draw, but able to refill and have better battery life and flavor than the Juul. My recommendation for this would be a small mod like the Mini Volt, with a Nautilus Mini tank on top using BVC coils for the Nautilus. For this, I'd recommend 18mg juice, or maybe 12mg depending on how hard she wants it to hit, and the juice would need to be 70VG/30PG or thinner. Too much VG would make a Nautilus (or similar tanks) dry hit. 

If she wants the best vaping experience and isn't against trying a new method, I'd recommend a DTL setup. The Balrog 70W starter kit fits the bill nicely, as does the Subox. Starting her with 6mg juice or lower, at around 70VG/30PG would give the best vape, but it wouldn't feel as much like smoking since it's a different style of vaping, more like breathing in through a straw. 

No matter what, I'd recommend staying away from tobacco flavors. They never taste like an actual cigarette, unless you spend the money for NET flavors from Real Extracts in Seattle (the best tobacco flavor I've ever tried in my life, but not cheap and only suited for low wattage MTL vaping). Vaping is much more effective when you find a good flavor that tastes and smells great, such as vanilla custard, cinnabun, apple pie, etc. 
06-06-2016 08:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (06-07-2016), Fatboy (06-06-2016)
Fatboy Online
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,012
Okay so now the reason why I asked for some thoughts on how you would have handled the situation:

I visited a shop I had never been in, was just sampling a few new flavours not available at my local shop and that customer came in. She and I started chatting and she indicated she was had been smoking for 30 years, a pack a day, had tried all of the failed ways and wanted to try vaping. Indicated she doesn't have time to be running back to the shop everyday with issues, is prepared to spend the equivalent of a few cartons of smokes ($250-300). A young sales guy starts talking to her and takes her to the equipment section and shows her a complete entry level $25 e-cig pen. I listen as I then expect him to keep talking about some of the better bigger unit - he doesn't. Tells her that is what she needs and she just needs to choose some juice....

Of course me being the quiet, shy type -- I interjected and asked why she should be starting on something that basic knowing full well that she doesn't want to return in a week or less, a 30 year smoker who smokes a pack of 25 per day won't get the required hit...a better unit can be run on lower W and V and serve the same purpose but she won't outgrow in 2 weeks.... she asks what I suggest (I almost said she needs to go to my local vape shop where they will treat her right) but instead suggested the Kangertech Topbox 75W and a crown tank - she suggested getting 2 tanks so she can switch between juices (great idea) and also if one tank has a coil issue, she doesn't go into withdraw mode.... she said she really liked what I had (eLeaf 100W with same crown tank) but told her I also had the eLeaf mini. They only had the mini. Buddy then walked over and started showing her some juices (she selected the 75W mod) and I left....

From those of you who have been doing this far longer than me, am I wrong in gently swaying her into a decent mod that will last her far longer to outgrow or should I have left it to the "local in-the-know" kid? Wish I'd had a business card on me as I would have liked to know how she made out....
13-06-2016 01:06 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Fatboy's post:
bibliora (06-13-2016), Don (06-13-2016), Michael (06-13-2016)
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 3,001
Fatboy, why weren't you around when I bought my POC starter kit.  The lady would have been just as frustrated as I am.  I hope she also got coils for her tank.  Good job.  I don't think anyone here would want a dissatisfied new vaper, that road leads back to smoking.
13-06-2016 01:31 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like bibliora's post:
Fatboy (06-13-2016), Michael (06-13-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,353
I'd say you definitely did the right thing, mate. I don't know why pen-type ecigs still exist honestly, and I'm glad you were able to help that lady out getting what she needed. The kid probably didn't mean any harm, just thought "oh, this lady's old and doesn't understand tech stuff so I'll sell her the simplest thing we have." Unfortunately I see that a lot, younger folks just assuming the older folks have no idea what they're doing, but think about this: the VAST majority of people on this forum are at least 35-40, I think there's only two or three of us in our twenties, and the older folks know way more than I do. 
Basically, what I'm trying to say is I think stereotyping is the big problem, I've seen it happen too. 
13-06-2016 01:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Fatboy (06-13-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 9,224
Yep - I'm over 50 and any oxygen thief sales type that tries to steer me to an eGo type device will ensure I'll never be back. Or if it is a bad day......

Their loss, not mine.

On the other hand, if my 84 year old mother wanted to vape, she'd find an eGo type device over complicated. My mother is infamous for failing to operate any known gadget. I lent her my Kindle for 3 months before getting her one. But I still have to help her buy books on it. Two years later...

Fortunately she never smoked.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
13-06-2016 07:38 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 9,224
Actually, I have never, ever been in a vape shop.

They didn't exist round here till quite recently. And I make my own juice and source my mods and atomisers from where's cheapest which is not going to be local shops. That said, where possible, I prefer to source stuff from the UK so I get it the same month/quarter/year I ordered it. But if FT is cheaper.....

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
13-06-2016 07:41 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post: