Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Young Vapers
jackywingfield Offline

Likes Given: 6
Young Vapers
I'm only 18 so obviously I'm pretty new to the vaping world. I didn't really vape when I was underage I just occasionally tried it thanks to a friend who was of legal age. However, when I turned 18 I bought a mod and I've been in love with vaping ever since. Even though a lot of people think otherwise, I don't do it to feel or look cool. I do it because I just generally like the feeling and taste. I'm not doing it to quit smoking I've actually never smoked a cigarette before in my life and I always use 0mg juice. Lately though I've felt really insecure about vaping. I see YouTube videos of vapers who seem to just hate younger adults who vape just because. Also when I walk into vape shops I always feel insecure and the workers always acknowledge my age and seem less friendly about it. So my question is; what are your thoughts on young vapers? Not like stupid 13 year olds who think breaking the law is cool, but people like me who just generally like vaping and are of legal age to do it. I don't want to feel insecure about it, but I just feel like people like me are frowned upon in the vaping community and I can't help but get nervous about it. I think people who turn to vaping to quit smoking are great, but I feel like vaping shouldn't be limited to just that.
18-01-2016 06:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Xprimentyl Offline

Likes Given: 402
RE: Young Vapers
Welcome to TVF.

This is a hot button issue, particularly because vaping is largely unregulated which has led to the proliferation of a lot of misinformation and illogical fear; you’ll find people in myriad positions and extremes on both sides of the pros/cons fence as with pretty much anything that requires users be of a certain age to partake, i.e.: drinking, smoking, etc. A big one for the anti-vaping camp is basically your case: belief that non-smoking youth are being led “astray” by a new, untested, unregulated threat to their otherwise unsullied innocence and health and/or that vaping is a “gateway” to smoking and more harmful extracurricular activities. Sadly, to that point, you are a case of that very fear: a non-smoker who came upon the habit/hobby via underage consumption, something that NO ONE advocates. You’re likely coming upon some flak simply because, assuming you look roundabout your age, 1) vendors are wary about selling to someone underage and getting fined or shut down which is the last thing those folks and the entire vaping culture need, and 2) anti-vapers see you as a misled youth, knowing more than likely (and correctly in your case) that you’ve probably been vaping longer than you were legally allowed and that someone introduced you to it then; young smokers get the same rap for the same reasons. At the end of the day, you’re of age now; if vaping is something you’ve chosen to do, you’re going to have to determine how important that feeling of insecurity is to you and if vaping is worth it. Personally, I don’t have any strong feelings about young, of-age vapers, no more than I do another person’s preference in favorite color or food, so long as they’ve chosen to do it safely, responsibly, understand that vaping does carry health risks (“safe” and “safer than” are not synonymous) and aren’t encouraging their underage friends to do it because ultimately, those are the areas which can and do affect the vaping community at large.

There's no ‘I’ in ‘TEAM.’ There’s no ‘U’ either. It doesn’t appear the TEAM needs us, so let’s go grab a beer!Drinks
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2016 07:59 PM by Xprimentyl.)
18-01-2016 07:55 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Xprimentyl's post:
ADIE37 (01-18-2016), Almost Jaded (01-18-2016), Don (01-18-2016), gentlydoingit* (01-18-2016), jackywingfield (01-18-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I'm a young vaper too, I'm 23 and started vaping when I was 20 to quit smoking. There's a stigma against us from both sides of the aisle, as Xperimentyl said. Some older vapers see us as a threat, since the media likes to make exaggerated claims about how vaping is corrupting the youth" and "getting kids addicted to nicotine," and when the media prints stories like that it can harm public perception of vaping. Other veteran vapers might also see us as "those crazy kids" who don't know anything. And then non-vapers are scared when they see younger people vaping, because to a lot of the non-vaping public, vaping is the same thing as smoking so they think we're throwing our young lives away, because they have no idea that vaping is actually much safer than smoking. 

Here's what I think: vaping is way safer than smoking, especially for you since you don't use nicotine. So don't let people judge you for it. It's something you enjoy, a hobby, the only difference between vaping and other hobbies is that it looks like smoke, but it's not smoke. Personally, I think it's great when younger people vape, because in some cases it keeps them away from smoking. If I had known what vaping is back in college, I would have never started smoking in the first place. 

So yeah, some people will look down on you. It's ironic that vaping has a more negative stigma than smoking these days, even though it's way safer. But if you're having fun, and it's a safe hobby, then don't let them get to you. 

Welcome to the forum, we're always here and if you have any questions or just want to chat, hit us up! Wink 
18-01-2016 08:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Michael's post:
ADIE37 (01-18-2016), Almost Jaded (01-18-2016), jackywingfield (01-18-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016), Xprimentyl (01-18-2016)
ADIE37 Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 280
I'm 36 nearly 37 and when I'm out and about vaping yes I feel that I'm being judged in some way the way I look at things is the frowners only go by what they read or see on the news they never ask stop to ask me my storey if they did they may look at it differently at the end of the day vaping as a whole at the moment is under a huge spotlightSorry2
18-01-2016 09:01 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like ADIE37's post:
gentlydoingit* (01-18-2016), jackywingfield (01-18-2016), Michael (01-19-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
jackywingfield Offline

(18-01-2016 08:48 PM)Michael Wrote:  I'm a young vaper too, I'm 23 and started vaping when I was 20 to quit smoking. There's a stigma against us from both sides of the aisle, as Xperimentyl said. Some older vapers see us as a threat, since the media likes to make exaggerated claims about how vaping is corrupting the youth" and "getting kids addicted to nicotine," and when the media prints stories like that it can harm public perception of vaping. Other veteran vapers might also see us as "those crazy kids" who don't know anything. And then non-vapers are scared when they see younger people vaping, because to a lot of the non-vaping public, vaping is the same thing as smoking so they think we're throwing our young lives away, because they have no idea that vaping is actually much safer than smoking. 

Here's what I think: vaping is way safer than smoking, especially for you since you don't use nicotine. So don't let people judge you for it. It's something you enjoy, a hobby, the only difference between vaping and other hobbies is that it looks like smoke, but it's not smoke. Personally, I think it's great when younger people vape, because in some cases it keeps them away from smoking. If I had known what vaping is back in college, I would have never started smoking in the first place. 

So yeah, some people will look down on you. It's ironic that vaping has a more negative stigma than smoking these days, even though it's way safer. But if you're having fun, and it's a safe hobby, then don't let them get to you. 

Welcome to the forum, we're always here and if you have any questions or just want to chat, hit us up! Wink 

Thank you for your opinion it made me feel a lot better!(: I understand the frustration when underage kids get used as the poster child for anti vaping campaigns. That would really annoy me too. My intentions obviously aren't to give vaping a bad name, I just really enjoy it. I definitely didn't vape as much when I was underage for legal reasons of course, but now that I'm of age it's definitely become a hobby of mine. I guess I just don't like the fact I get criticized and people see me as a poser. 
18-01-2016 09:11 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like jackywingfield's post:
ADIE37 (01-18-2016), Michael (01-19-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
jackywingfield Offline

(18-01-2016 09:01 PM)ADIE36 Wrote:  I'm 36 nearly 37 and when I'm out and about vaping yes I feel that I'm being judged in some way the way I look at things is the frowners only go by what they read or see on the news they never ask stop to ask me my storey if they did they may look at it differently at the end of the day vaping as a whole at the moment is under a huge spotlightSorry2
Thank you for your opinion!(: I wish people would just talk to me about it too instead of being so quick to judge. I feel like they assume I'm just as bad as someone who smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day but that's definitely not the case.
18-01-2016 09:14 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like jackywingfield's post:
ADIE37 (01-18-2016), Michael (01-19-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
If the anti-vapers did actual research instead of reading headlines, this wouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
18-01-2016 11:29 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
ADIE37 (01-18-2016), Don (01-19-2016), jackywingfield (01-19-2016), Michael (01-19-2016), Spasmod (01-19-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I agree, AJ, but what non-vaper would ever do research? They just take the media sensationalism at face value, because after all, if it's on TV or in the newspaper, it must be true, right? *smh*

I just read (and posted on the "Advocacy News" section) an article about an anti-vaping hate rally in NYC, where the chief aim was to point accusatory fingers at the vaping industry by claiming that e-cigs are just a product of "Big Tobacco" trying to get kids to start smoking. It's depressing sometimes, how the people in authority can be so blind in their hatred for things they don't know about. And when a proponent tried to defend vaping after the rally, he was actually drowned out by anti-vaping chants. They aren't willing to listen to reason, they're out for blood. 

Sorry for steering this thread slightly off topic, I guess I still needed to rant a bit. It's just so frustrating, the immediate reaction to any change is "but think of the children!" and sure, I can understand wanting to protect kids. Hell, I'd do absolutely anything to protect my nephews. But that doesn't mean I should throw out any semblance of reason and just wildly swing about in the dark at anything that's perceived to be a threat. But there's no reasoning with these people: if you try to tell the truth, the answer in their minds is "you hate kids!" 
19-01-2016 02:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (01-21-2016)
Skyray Offline
The Little Squonklet
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,315
(19-01-2016 02:32 PM)Michael Wrote:  I agree, AJ, but what non-vaper would ever do research? They just take the media sensationalism at face value, because after all, if it's on TV or in the newspaper, it must be true, right? *smh*

I just read (and posted on the "Advocacy News" section) an article about an anti-vaping hate rally in NYC, where the chief aim was to point accusatory fingers at the vaping industry by claiming that e-cigs are just a product of "Big Tobacco" trying to get kids to start smoking. It's depressing sometimes, how the people in authority can be so blind in their hatred for things they don't know about. And when a proponent tried to defend vaping after the rally, he was actually drowned out by anti-vaping chants. They aren't willing to listen to reason, they're out for blood. 

Sorry for steering this thread slightly off topic, I guess I still needed to rant a bit. It's just so frustrating, the immediate reaction to any change is "but think of the children!" and sure, I can understand wanting to protect kids. Hell, I'd do absolutely anything to protect my nephews. But that doesn't mean I should throw out any semblance of reason and just wildly swing about in the dark at anything that's perceived to be a threat. But there's no reasoning with these people: if you try to tell the truth, the answer in their minds is "you hate kids!" 
That seems to happen with all things people don't like, they don't want to hear evidence/proof if they don't like something ban it! it doesn't matter if they have been proved wrong lol Even if it was a fact that it was produced by "Big Tobacco" as long as its safe to use it doesn't matter who produces them at least if it was the Big Tobacco company's they would be showing some responsability with steering people away from Tobacco
19-01-2016 03:31 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Skyray's post:
Almost Jaded (01-21-2016), Michael (01-19-2016)
cikoleko Offline

Likes Given: 0
(18-01-2016 06:32 PM)jackywingfield Wrote:  I'm only 18 so obviously I'm pretty new to the vaping world. I didn't really vape when I was underage I just occasionally tried it thanks to a friend who was of legal age. However, when I turned 18 I bought a mod and I've been in love with vaping ever since. Even though a lot of people think otherwise, I don't do it to feel or look cool. I do it because I just generally like the feeling and taste. I'm not doing it to quit smoking I've actually never smoked a cigarette before in my life and I always use 0mg juice. Lately though I've felt really insecure about vaping. I see YouTube videos of vapers who seem to just hate younger adults who vape just because. Also when I walk into vape shops I always feel insecure and the workers always acknowledge my age and seem less friendly about it. So my question is; what are your thoughts on young vapers? Not like stupid 13 year olds who think breaking the law is cool, but people like me who just generally like vaping and are of legal age to do it. I don't want to feel insecure about it, but I just feel like people like me are frowned upon in the vaping community and I can't help but get nervous about it. I think people who turn to vaping to quit smoking are great, but I feel like vaping shouldn't be limited to just that.
Don't pay attention to that, it's normal. It's the same problem for everyone with other stuff like buying alcohol and so on. Some people that are 30 years old still are asked to show ID sometimes. It doesn't depend just on your age, it depends how you look and how tall are you, for example I was able to buy alcohol at many places when I was 16 years old. As long as you behave like an adult people will think that you are adult.
19-01-2016 03:54 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like cikoleko's post:
jackywingfield (01-19-2016), Michael (01-19-2016)