Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wismec 2/3 battery dillema...what am I doing wrong?
DamianSicks Offline

Likes Given: 1
Wismec 2/3 battery dillema...what am I doing wrong?
I have been using the same batteries on rotation for a long time and they were in desperate need of replacing. I took advantage of a labor day sale and bought 4 Brillpower IMR18650 3.7V 3100MAH 40A High Drain rechargables. The first issue I noticed was that they were not charging in either of the 2 "2 battery capacity" chargers (both plug into outlet and are not USB). The new batteries worked in my Wismec 2/3 without any problems so I tried to charge them in the MOD with the usb cable but the batteries would not charge. I decided to leave a set of batteries charging overnight and was awoken to the smell of the plastic in my charge burning! the batteries were fine but the same thing happened with my other charger!

What am I doing wrong? I thought I purchased the correct battery needed for my mod. Could it be that the batteries are bad? (I doubt it)
Do I need a special charger to be able to use these batteries or did I just waste my very limited funds on 4 useless batteries?
10-09-2017 12:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 3,001
RE: Wismec 2/3 battery dillema...what am I doing wrong?
Here's a more indepth article about batteries from the FAQ Section?
... Which batteries should I use?

I've not heard anything about Brillpower batteries. The folks in forum recommend LG, Samsung and Sony. They are best reviewed and have been tested, their power is as advertised. The majority of other batteries are rewraps of batteries that did not meet the quality requirements. These rewraps have a higher percentage of venting, dying early, not charge properly or damage your mod.

It is also recommended to never charge multiple batteries in your mod. They will charge unevenly. Most folks recommend never charging even a single battery in your mod.

I suggest buying the batteries recommended in the FAQ. LG HE2, Samsung 25R, or Sony VTC3, 4 or 5. They are safer and more reliable choice.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
10-09-2017 12:53 AM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,809
I'm not the cell expert by any means but I can tell you, there are many recent articles on Brillipower cells not living up to claims - first of all, no 18650 is capable of doing 40A so any manufacturer who makes such a claim, leads some of us to be suspicious about anything else they claim....

I do have a Brillipower 26650 and it appears to be living up to the expectation but I purchased it at a local B+M in case it wasn't going to function properly I could always return it.... if possible I would try and get the seller to exchange your 18650s for SONY, SAMSUNG or even LGs.
10-09-2017 12:56 AM
paulS Offline
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,027
(10-09-2017 12:56 AM)Fatboy Wrote:  I'm not the cell expert by any means but I can tell you, there are many recent articles on Brillipower cells not living up to claims - first of all, no 18650 is capable of doing 40A so any manufacturer who makes such a claim, leads some of us to be suspicious about anything else they claim....

I do have a Brillipower 26650 and it appears to be living up to the expectation but I purchased it at a local B+M in case it wasn't going to function properly I could always return it.... if possible I would try and get the seller to exchange your 18650s for SONY, SAMSUNG or even LGs.

The brillipower 26650 is the only brillipower that Mooch approved. I have used it. That said I would use an Ijoy over it any day - and the I joy 21700 (use as 20700) is also brilliant. The 18650 brillipowers are not all that at all. unfortunately. It's a shame that new vapers need to go through this. I bought gear early on that I trashed because I listened to the self promotion of the suppliers. Go any online site and whatever mods they are selling they will tell you what a bargain they are and how they perform flawlessly. In this case the hype is not real.

Hopefully you will find a B+M with knowledgeable staff you can frequent. I found one when I started and that is where my true vaping journey began.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
10-09-2017 03:17 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

(10-09-2017 03:17 PM)paulS Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 12:56 AM)Fatboy Wrote:  I do have a Brillipower 26650 and it appears to be living up to the expectation but I purchased it at a local B+M in case it wasn't going to function properly I could always return it.... if possible I would try and get the seller to exchange your 18650s for SONY, SAMSUNG or even LGs.
The brillipower 26650 is the only brillipower that Mooch approved. I have used it. That said I would use an Ijoy over it any day - and the I joy 21700 (use as 20700) is also brilliant. The 18650 brillipowers are not all that at all. unfortunately. It's a shame that new vapers need to go through this. I bought gear early on that I trashed because I listened to the self promotion of the suppliers. Go any online site and whatever mods they are selling they will tell you what a bargain they are and how they perform flawlessly. In this case the hype is not real.
Hopefully you will find a B+M with knowledgeable staff you can frequent. I found one when I started and that is where my true vaping journey began.

Sadly yes it is far too common that online vendors and some shops only care about $$$$ and nothing else.

Local shop mentioned same thing about Mooch and the 26650 but I was talking to one of the owners I know that if I had any issues, he would ensure I was happy....and he would have simply told me not to take it if he wasn't sure of it. Tongue
10-09-2017 04:46 PM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 3,001
I found this, it really makes battery safety easy to understand.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
10-09-2017 09:28 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like bibliora's post:
Fatboy (09-10-2017), yonner (09-11-2017)
DamianSicks Offline

Likes Given: 1
(10-09-2017 09:28 PM)bibliora Wrote:  I found this, it really makes battery safety easy to understand.
ok well I emailed the vendor and told them that despite my understanding that these batteries were to work with my wismec 2/3 they did not charge via usb and broke all my chargers (also causing a very serious fire risk) and they e-mailed me a return slip of some sort and it asks what I would prefer instead so I am going to put down the LG's that I know already work fine so hopefully this all means they will take these nightmare batteries back and send me the other ones because vaping has been a nightmare without proper batteries and charger during this whole thing.

As for the pic with the "Battery safety" guidelines I can proudly say I follow all those rules except for the "watching amperage on charger" but that's only because I don't have any chargers that display any info for me to monitor. I do plan on investing in one to replace my broken chargers, hopefully I will have the funds by the time I can get new batteries.

Thank you all for your help and I will only go with the tried and proven batteries from now on, the Brill's had specs that looked like they trumped the other ones but I now know that was all bs. Keep your fingers crossed that I am able to get a swift, simple exchange.

I do have to add that I find "reputable" shops to be a myth so far. Let me first say that I have gone to some great shops with very nice and helpful people but most shops (and there are a surplus of them in my city) have very rude and cocky staff and I'm sorry to say that even at the good shops I get told different and contradicting information from each and every shop. I try to avoid them because they all charge double for what an item on the internet goes for but whenever I have an issue I can go to 5 different shops and get 5 different answers so I am not getting any special service to justify the price hike. There needs to be some sort of official, proven information that these people should learn because it just seems like a guessing game to be honest and that is a dangerous business practice. A million of these places popped up over night without a clue, just trying to make a buck and now to compete with each other they will gouge your wallet and say anything. Anytime I go in with a issue 99.9% the time the solution is "it can't be fixed/solved so you must buy a new one" or "We don't know what to do so contact the manufacturer". These damn mods never seem to last over 1 year no matter how well I take care of them anyways, so I try to avoid going to a physical store unless its absolutely unavoidable.

There has to be a better source for people like me. I'm not a "cloud chaser", I'm not into the culture surrounding Vaping nor do I feel the need to get every new thing that hits the market. I switched to vape to get off of cigarettes, I have 2 or 3 flavors bought in bulk I ever use and I like to keep any upkeep costs low so I'm not throwing money away like I did with cigarettes. I just want to have a reliable mod and tanks that work the way should and stay on the shelves because they have proven to be good products. The business seems to be geared to making whatever you buy obsolete ASAP so longevity is never in the cards. If a vendor would have explained to me the info I had to learn the hard way from the time I got the starter pen to the crown tank and wismec mod I now have I could have avoided many headaches and saved a ton of money but its always about pushing the latest and greatest tech and keeping people coming back for tiny, expensive boutique flavor bottles.
13-09-2017 08:58 AM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Make sure you request LG HG2's and not just LG's.

We all have stories of great mods, mediocre mods and crappy mods...some last a few months and some have been going strong for years.

My best mod (HEX OHM) came with lifetime coverage - but that is a series mod and costs more than the average mod on the market.... but honestly, worth every nickel!

As for mixed messages from local shops and passing you off, after the purchase is made, many shops no longer care about your business, unless you are looking to replace it, at which time they will care about you until the end of that transaction....

I'm surprised though, with 5+ local shops, that competition would compel at least one of them to offer exceptional service to leverage the edge in their favor...
13-09-2017 07:42 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Fatboy's post:
Raymcconn (09-13-2017), TinWhisker (09-13-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,345
I actually love his last post. It shows clear, concise, independent thought from someone that sounds quite like myself. I never bought into the 'culture' aspect of vaping, and I never will. I began vaping to get off analogs, period. I never wanted to take part in, and in fact am a bit offended by, the whole 'vape culture' concept. The image I have of that is Gen-Y's with Jesus Beards in skull caps, with piercings and tattoos, sitting at a coffee shop, nose up to the non-vapers who just 'don't get it'. That's off-putting.

The vape world I embrace is not a culture at all; rather it is a community. And rather than put up with the attitude, cost, and conflicting information at any of the local shops, I get my information right here. This forum houses many fantastic resources who are brimming with knowledge and wisdom, and all too happy to share it, to further the enjoyment of all who choose this hobby of ours. This is my vaping community, and I'm blessed to be part of it.

As for your battery experience, that is also exactly how I would have approached it in my early vaping days, too. Not knowing much about cells, I would have gotten the ones that were either cheapest or highest output rated. And when I did find out the truth, like you did, I would and did embrace the resources available to ensure I was properly educated on what to look for. So, well done.

When you say.... "There has to be a better source for people like me" believe me when I say, you have already found it. Any one of the great minds here could be your go-to and only resource, but here there are many of them, as mentioned, all more than happy to help with anything.

And for the record, I'm not one for constant upgrades either. I'm nearly a year now on my current setup with no plans to change anytime soon. So stay here, ask away, and be part of the family. Not everyone is a cloud chaser, not everyone is a vape snob, and everyone is friendly here, guaranteed.
13-09-2017 08:32 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like TinWhisker's post:
DamianSicks (09-14-2017), Don (09-13-2017), ecignut (09-13-2017), Fatboy (09-13-2017), Toopizard (09-14-2017)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,925
      The above is most definitely Post of the day. Wow.
13-09-2017 08:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ecignut's post:
Fatboy (09-13-2017), Toopizard (09-14-2017)