Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is it so hard to find Authentic RDA's?
amsage Offline

Likes Given: 1
Why is it so hard to find Authentic RDA's?
Either most of the vaping merchants have yet to discover the power of SEO, or clones are just waaay too popular, but I'm having a very hard time hunting down authentic RDAs.  For example, I just tried finding an authentic TOBH.  Luckily, they have a website, but when you click "buy now" it takes me to retailer that doesn't appear to stock it anymore.

Even using search engine refining tricks, I still can't seem to track down reliable sources to buy authentic stuff from.  Then, if I happen to stumble upon a website that does, like VaporDNA, everything is sold out.

Is it just a tough time in general finding stuff that isn't a clone?  I've now purchased and used three RDA's that were clones, and none of them have really lived up to the hype (an Infinite Magma, a Tobeco Plume Veil, and a Stillaire whose manufacturer I can't identify) that youtubers and reviewers give to the authentic versions.  I'm willing to plunk down $100 if it means I'll actually enjoy an atomizer, rather than keep spending 10-20 bucks at a time and not liking what I'm getting.

Anybody have any favorite websites?  Or is there a database of good retailers?

In the same vein, is there a good database for locating B&M stores?
15-04-2015 07:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
RE: Why is it so hard to find Authentic RDA's?
IMO, Clones seem to be bigger sellers, and for the dollars saved the inventory for them move faster.
Welcome to TVF, Nice to meet you amsageSmile
15-04-2015 08:16 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,149
Hi and welcome amsage!

I'd buy a real Mutation X if anyone would sell me one.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
15-04-2015 08:24 PM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,115
Hi amsage welcome to TVF. I wouldn't worry about authentic or clone because if the TPD in Europe and other regulatory bodies get there way you wont be able to buy either Tongue

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
15-04-2015 08:50 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Welcome to the TVF family, amsage!

I think the reason you can't find any authentic RDAs is because almost all the makers manufacture limited quantities. I think it's to keep the prices up but I don't understand it. They can certainly sell even more at the prices they are asking.

This is the main reason I refuse to accept the idea that clones steal their business. If the day comes that they can't sell all they make then they may have a legitimate argument. Until that day happens I wish they'd quit their whining.
15-04-2015 11:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
The "Clone Wars" have been a hot topic in the vaping community for quite a while, and you'll find people on either side of the fence anywhere you go. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with yours, unfortunately that's a risk you have to take when buying clones. However, there are some authentic mods and atties that aren't as well made as their clones, so it's a double-sided argument. I personally prefer clones for most RDAs since they're much cheaper and often just as good or better, but I do run across occasional duds. But with the money I've saved over buying authentic, I just chalk it up as a loss and move on. Tobeco usually makes good clones, though I haven't tried their Plume Veil. 
If you're looking for a b&m shop near you, the best way I can think of is to just tell us the general area where you live and see if someone has some experience in that area. We've got a lot of members from the UK and the eastern USA, and a growing group of members from other areas as well. If you're looking for a shop in the TN, AL, MS, FL or GA area let me know and I'll pm you my favorite shops.
As far as websites go, I'm not really sure where would be the best place to find authentic gear. As Johnny said, authentics are usually made in limited numbers and you're more likely to find them in b&m shops, because most of the popular online shops like FastTech sell clones. Some of our forum's supporting vendors sell authentic gear, so you might want to check out their websites to see if you find anything you like. Though most of their authentics are tanks or variable wattage mods, I don't think there are many that sell authentic RDAs or mechanical mods. 

In case you haven't noticed, I'm the talkative one Tongue

Welcome to the forum! 
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 03:49 AM by Michael.)
16-04-2015 03:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
bcfos (04-16-2015), BOB (04-16-2015)
Haze Kraze Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 8
You first need to verify it and that's the hard path Girl_witch

(15-04-2015 11:06 PM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  Welcome to the TVF family, amsage!

I think the reason you can't find any authentic RDAs is because almost all the makers manufacture limited quantities.  I think it's to keep the prices up but I don't understand it. They can certainly sell even more at the prices they are asking.

This is the main reason I refuse to accept the idea that clones steal their business. If the day comes that they can't sell all they make then they may have a legitimate argument. Until that day happens I wish they'd quit their whining.
I totally agree even I want to have a diversified range !
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 09:36 AM by Haze Kraze.)
16-04-2015 09:34 AM
amsage Offline

Likes Given: 1
Wow, thanks for all the replies and warm welcomes guys!

Turns out, I just got lucky yesterday, and found an unlisted B&M in my area that sells authentic RDAs.  Had a couple hours to kill before an appointment I arrived early for, saw an "E-Juice" side on the sidewalk, and walked in to find dozens of authentic RDAs.

Except, now I'm just kind of bummed...I went ahead and purchased an authentic Dark Horse.  The proprietor built it up for me, and I was on my way.  After a couple of hits, I noticed that the flavor was starting to get very harsh.  I opened her up when I got home, and right off the bat, I noticed that one of the negative posts was cockeyed...very nearly touching the middle post.  I didn't try too hard, for fear of making it worse, but I couldn't wiggle it at all...it's just in there that way.

Over the course of the rest of the night, I tried a couple of other builds, single and dual coil, between .3 and 1.2 ohms, and I swear...I couldn't get anything to taste right.  It all just tasted like I was vaping nothing.  Very disappointing.  I guess I'm a little off-topic here, but I guess the moral of the story is...authentic isn't always better!  An expensive lesson learned, I suppose.  I'm going to try and take it back today...he did have a clone Dark Horse, but also several sub-$50 authentics like the troll, freakshow, CLT, and mutation.  Hoping to find something that works...being unsatisfied with your vape is the worst.
16-04-2015 04:20 PM
Breazy_Com Offline

Likes Given: 32
Welcome amsage ! I have 2 Dark Horses and I love them. The negative posts are part of the base so you cant move them. Maybe contact Steam Angel about it. There should be a card in the box with their contact informaton. Mainly wide open it's for blowing clouds. If you want more flavor close down the air ring. That's what I do with mine. I'm also using dual coil 24 gauge Kanthal 12 wrap. I have variable voltage/wattage boxes. If it was on a mech mod I would use dual coil 24 gauge Kanthl 5 or 6 wrap. Sorry about your trouble hope this helps !
16-04-2015 06:03 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have a Dark Horse clone and it's my favorite RDA out of the dozens I've owned. On my clone, the negative post had a similar problem but it's not actually part of the base on mine, it's held on by a screw. I don't know if the authentic is that way but it would be worth taking a look, just check the bottom of the 510 and if there's a slot, that means you can position the post where you want it then tighten it down with a screwdriver. I used a mini screwdriver through the post hole to hold it in place while I tightened it. 
The Mutation X is a great atty, I have an authentic and it's one of my favorites when I don't feel like using the Dark Horse. I've heard good things about the Troll and Freakshow as well, sounds like you've found a gem of a shop. 
When you get harsh hits from an RDA, it usually means you're using juice with too much PG or that the build is messed up in some way. It could be a short or one of the coils could be disconnected, causing only one to fire. Or you could just have too much wick in the coil. And then of course there's the problem of dripping, if you're not used to RDAs then you might just not be dripping often enough. I usually have to drip after every 4-5 hits, but it varies depending on your wattage settings and your build resistance. 
16-04-2015 06:41 PM