Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which batteries should I use?
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Which batteries should I use?
Update 2016-08-21:

Just wanted to update this with a new list of the best 18650s currently available. The rest of the post still contains good information about cell safety, but here's a list of the only cells I would trust. 
  • Samsung - there are several that are acceptable for vaping, depending on the mod you're using. But Samsung 25R 18650s are still the best the company has to offer. 
  • LG - there are several good models from LG: the HE2, HE4, and HG2. 
  • Sony - the VTC models: VTC3, VTC4, and VTC5. However these cells are commonly cloned and it can be very difficult to tell a clone apart from an authentic (even if the site you're buying from says they are authentic) so I would recommend going with Samsung or LG. 

I hear this question a lot, and I also hear a lot of people using terrible cells without even taking the time to ask. So here's some information to clarify what you should be using and why. 

First of all, most vaping mods don't use "batteries" in the technical sense. A battery is a group of cells, so the 18650 or 26650 things we use are actually cells. So really the only things that can be truly called "batteries" are the mods that take more than one cell, such as a box mod that takes two 18650 cells. In this post, I'll be talking about the best cells for vaping.

The cells that you use are much more important than many people give them credit for. Using cells that are not properly designed and rated can cause problems such as venting and overheating, which can potentially be very dangerous. So it's crucial that you use good cells for vaping. Basically anything that says "made in China" on it can be ruled out, since even many Chinese manufacturers will admit that cells made in China are not as good as those made elsewhere. I've heard stories and seen pictures of supposed 18650 cells made in China that were really nothing more than a tiny button cell with a couple of wires connecting to the ends of an 18650 sized tube and filled with flour to make it feel like a real 18650 cell. Things like that are all too common, so it's safest to just avoid Chinese cells entirely.

To make a long post a little bit shorter, the best cells that you can use for vaping are Sony VTCs, Samsung 25R, and LG HE2. If you need high amp limits, the Sony VTC series (VTC3, VTC4, and VTC5) are the best, as they can perform well at up to 30A. The Samsung 25R and LG HE2 will actually perform better than the Sony cells up to 20A, so if you're going for a good cell with a slightly lower amp rating those are the best currently available. 

One problem many vapers run into is cloned or rewrapped cells. For example, Sony VTC5s have been plagued by terrible clones as companies try to make money by making cheap crappy cells and labeling them as VTC5s. I've been told that it's best to get VTC4 cells instead, because there are far fewer bad cells claiming to be VTC4s so you're much safer with them. Some brands, such as the popular purple Efest cells, are simply cells made by Sony, LG, or Samsung and then rewrapped with the Efest wrapper and logo. This can be problematic, as many of these cells are overrated. An example of this is the Efest 35A 2500mAh cell, which in actuality is a rewrapped LG HE2 cell. These can perform very well up to 20A or so, but they are nowhere near the 35A advertised. On the other hand, the Efest 30A 2100mAh cell is a rewrapped Sony VTC4, which can actually do the 30A advertised.

So how do you pick a good cell to use? I highly suggest sticking to known brands, especially the Sony VTC4, Samsung 25R or LG HE2, depending on how much power you need. The 25R and HE2 have a higher mAh capacity than the VTC4, meaning they last longer between charges, so they are great for vaping at normal levels. If you're getting into silly sub-ohms, use a VTC4 and remember to be careful and safe with your builds. 

If you have any questions about other cells, ask around the forum as there are many guys on here who know a lot about them and can steer you in the right direction.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out with the research required for this post! Especially Don and Spasmod, you guys are great Smile
27-12-2014 05:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (12-27-2014), JEFF (09-09-2015), JohnnyMac (12-28-2014), tuftony352 (08-25-2015)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
RE: Which batteries should I use?
I really don't consider the sonys a 30amp cell.

Not one on its own. To get the 30amps the cell sags to 2.7v under load. Which is imo dangerous to do constantly. A bank of them in parallel might get close to 30amps.

The samsungs for me, work well. They hold up the voltage under load better than sonys or lg cells. There are also some 20amp sanyo cells and there is a Hitachi cell out there reported to hold voltage under load better than samsung cells. It is only 1500mah. And very hard to get hold of.
27-12-2014 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like gords1001's post:
JohnnyMac (12-28-2014), Michael (12-27-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Yeah I mainly use the Samsungs myself, I only have 2 Sonys and a few LGs. I don't really notice much difference in them, but that might be because I tend to play it safer these days on builds, I very rarely go under about .4 ohms. 
27-12-2014 06:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
JohnnyMac (12-28-2014)
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
thanks Michael
I got sucked in by the efest purple 35A
as soon as they were on sale I stopped buying the efest 30A presuming the 35A was a better cell

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
28-12-2014 07:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Same thing happened to me, and then with Spas updating the vendor rules to take a stand against fake batteries it seemed like a good time to give everyone a bit more info on the subject. 
28-12-2014 10:19 PM