Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where should I set my VV/VW mod?
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 976
RE: Where should I set my VV/VW mod?
One of teh reasons I like the iSticks so much is their form factor is so portable.  I bought the eGo-C in teh beginning specifically because "I don't want to carry around one of those big ass heavy things".  I eventually graduated to an MVP2, and while I totally adjusted to it, I hated the bulk and ergonomics.  Frankly, I find the i30 with a decent tank on it to be about as perfect as perfect gets.  Something like the SubTank Nano on that thing is the epitome of portability; it's shorter than the pen types and not bigger to the point that it matters.  The shape is convenient and ergonomic, and it doesn't' weigh a lot.  Even my 50 with the Mini on it - significantly larger than the 30/nano combo - is very easy to work around.  I think that with the massive success these devices are seeing, the next generation is going to follow these types of form factors more and more.  I for one, am looking forward to it!  

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
04-05-2015 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Michael (05-04-2015)
DearyDarling Offline

Likes Given: 23
(28-11-2014 10:57 PM)Michael Wrote:  Finally coming back to this post after forgetting about it for over a month. Here's the chart I mentioned: 

[Image: unled66-1.jpg]

This chart outlines the good, the bad and the ugly...
Thank you so so much for posting this!  You're absolutely right about newbs and all this - hubby treated me as a present for quitting smoking (and our annual tax-return holiday we call Taxmas lol) and has bought me some very nice vaping toys compared to the gas station rechargeable logic i was using and soaking some really cheap e-juice into the cartridges by dunking them in juice in the silicone caps lol so this is awesome but now i have an innoken itaste and a kanger aero (and hopeeefully tomorrow my long awaited coils for my freakshow rda!)  but i have had NO idea and some very nasty tastes coming from my new kit that made me worried that i'd spent money on something that wasn't as good as the setup i was using!  i had NO idea how to properly enjoy them or any clue what range to shoot for so thank you for this! 
[url=//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/][/url]
19-05-2015 11:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes DearyDarling's post:
TinWhisker (06-19-2016)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
Deary..If you are getting nasty tastes, be sure you are priming the coils and wick. Take whatever juice you are using and slowly soak the wick. Then draw on it about 10 times (without power), and let it sit for a few minutes.

(04-05-2015 08:55 PM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  One of teh reasons I like the iSticks so much is their form factor is so portable.  I bought the eGo-C in teh beginning specifically because "I don't want to carry around one of those big ass heavy things".  I eventually graduated to an MVP2, and while I totally adjusted to it, I hated the bulk and ergonomics.  Frankly, I find the i30 with a decent tank on it to be about as perfect as perfect gets.  Something like the SubTank Nano on that thing is the epitome of portability; it's shorter than the pen types and not bigger to the point that it matters.  The shape is convenient and ergonomic, and it doesn't' weigh a lot.  Even my 50 with the Mini on it - significantly larger than the 30/nano combo - is very easy to work around.  I think that with the massive success these devices are seeing, the next generation is going to follow these types of form factors more and more.  I for one, am looking forward to it!  
My little Istick 30watt with my Atlantis tank is what I take pretty much every where. It slides right in my pocket, and I hardly know its there.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 12:01 AM by jerryz.)
19-05-2015 11:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like jerryz's post:
Almost Jaded (05-20-2015), DearyDarling (05-22-2015)
DearyDarling Offline

Likes Given: 23
(19-05-2015 11:59 PM)jerryz Wrote:  Deary..If you are getting nasty tastes, be sure you are priming the coils and wick. Take whatever juice you are using and slowly soak the wick. Then draw on it about 10 times (without power), and let it sit for a few minutes.

Thank you!  i will definitely try that - i think you're right - i havn't been priming them correctly - i think we discovered another problem - hubby had gotten pre-wicked coils for my freakshow rda but the wire is ridiculously flimsy and the wicking is terrible quality so he's sent off for the proper wire for making your own and some Japanese cotton lol - the learning curve can be a bit overwhelming but it also makes it exciting - so much to learn and discover!  lol this is one thing vaping has far above smoking!  So much variety and so many different experiences to be had
22-05-2015 08:15 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like DearyDarling's post:
Almost Jaded (05-23-2015), jerryz (10-13-2015)
Xprimentyl Offline

Likes Given: 402
(28-11-2014 10:57 PM)Michael Wrote:  Finally coming back to this post after forgetting about it for over a month. Here's the chart I mentioned: 

[Image: unled66-1.jpg]

This chart outlines the good, the bad and the ugly of variable voltage and resistance. To use this chart, find your coil's resistance on the left-hand column, then go along the voltage columns until you find the point where it intersects with a green square. This is the optimal voltage for your coil. Anywhere in the green will be strong enough to produce vapor without burning up your coils, so just play around in the green area until you find a setting that feels right to you. For example, when I was using a Kanger T3S I used 1.8ohm coils. For those coils, I needed to set the voltage to about 3.75 V to produce as much vapor as possible without burning the coils. Of course you can play around with it, and I usually used more like 4.1V with mine, which caused the coils to wear out more quickly, but this is a good starting point from which you can experiment to find your perfect vape. As mentioned before, there are a lot of factors that go into the settings on your device, so don't be afraid to try new things and mess up every now and then. There is no perfect formula for a perfect vape that will work for everyone, since I might like different things than you. Just be safe and have fun Smile

Ok, being an Excel geek, I remade this chart expanding the X-Y axes into Sub-Ohm territory. While I can’t quite deduce the reasoning behind color-coded zones, one might logically deduce that there’s NO “green” zone for Sub-Ohming much above 10W, give or take? Have I been burning up 0.4-0.6 Ohm coils at my preferred 20-26W on my iSticks??

There's no ‘I’ in ‘TEAM.’ There’s no ‘U’ either. It doesn’t appear the TEAM needs us, so let’s go grab a beer!Drinks
13-10-2015 07:44 PM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

(22-05-2015 08:15 PM)DearyDarling Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 11:59 PM)jerryz Wrote:  Deary..If you are getting nasty tastes, be sure you are priming the coils and wick. Take whatever juice you are using and slowly soak the wick. Then draw on it about 10 times (without power), and let it sit for a few minutes.

Thank you!  i will definitely try that - i think you're right - i havn't been priming them correctly - i think we discovered another problem - hubby had gotten pre-wicked coils for my freakshow rda but the wire is ridiculously flimsy and the wicking is terrible quality so he's sent off for the proper wire for making your own and some Japanese cotton lol - the learning curve can be a bit overwhelming but it also makes it exciting - so much to learn and discover!  lol this is one thing vaping has far above smoking!  So much variety and so many different experiences to be had

Yes I have seen those factory made coils and wicks. I know he is a bit of a Character, but check out YouTube videos by Ripp Trippers. IMO he is the coil building guru. He is entertaining?

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
13-10-2015 08:35 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

You know, going back and looking at this chart - it's pretty much useless and full of bad information, lol.

First of all, it starts at like 1.2 ohms.  Almost everything is "sub ohm" nowadays.  

Secondly, it goes to 6.5 ohms.  I have literally never seen a mod with a coil over 2.8 ohms.  I'm sure they exist, but really?

Thirdly - it's just bad information.  I'll explain.  He seems to be targeting a certain wattage range for an "optimal" vape.  The thing is, that wattage range will vary according to how the heat is transferred and how the coil heats, as well as how hot it ultimately gets.  It doesn't factor in wick size and juice feed or coil surface area, etc.  So while pumping 8 volts into a 6 ohm coil is a great idea if that coil is an inch in diameter and made of 18 awg wire - the fact is, it's more likely to be 12 wraps of 32 awg wire at a 2mm diameter, and 8 volts will melt it like butter.

Needs better info.  

13-10-2015 09:20 PM
jerryz (10-13-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

(13-10-2015 09:20 PM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  You know, going back and looking at this chart - it's pretty much useless and full of bad information, lol.

First of all, it starts at like 1.2 ohms.  Almost everything is "sub ohm" nowadays.  

Secondly, it goes to 6.5 ohms.  I have literally never seen a mod with a coil over 2.8 ohms.  I'm sure they exist, but really?

Thirdly - it's just bad information.  I'll explain.  He seems to be targeting a certain wattage range for an "optimal" vape.  The thing is, that wattage range will vary according to how the heat is transferred and how the coil heats, as well as how hot it ultimately gets.  It doesn't factor in wick size and juice feed or coil surface area, etc.  So while pumping 8 volts into a 6 ohm coil is a great idea if that coil is an inch in diameter and made of 18 awg wire - the fact is, it's more likely to be 12 wraps of 32 awg wire at a 2mm diameter, and 8 volts will melt it like butter.

Needs better info.  

If you take an Arctic, Atlantis, Sub tank plus, Triton whatever, Just look at the specs. It will tell you the wattage range. Here is a cut and paste from an Atlantis site.

Specifications

Measurements:

22mm x 70.3mm
Stainless Steel Materials
Pyrex Tank With 2ml Of Capacity
Wide-Bore Style Drip Tip
Adjustable Air Flow
510 Threaded
Anti-Leak Safety
BVC Coil Resistances: 0.5ohm (20-30W)
Wires Made in United States.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
13-10-2015 10:05 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Correct.

The problem is, that coil could read as high as .6 or as low as .4.  Which would change things dramatically.  People need to realize the role that voltage and resistance play in this game.  Wattage is a measure of output only.  How you get there matters.

14-10-2015 06:16 AM
JEFF (10-14-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

(14-10-2015 06:16 AM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  Correct.

The problem is, that coil could read as high as .6 or as low as .4.  Which would change things dramatically.  People need to realize the role that voltage and resistance play in this game.  Wattage is a measure of output only.  How you get there matters.

Agreed..I have found that on all my sub tanks, if I stay between 20 and 25 watts, I get nice clouds and flavor, and no burny taste.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
14-10-2015 03:49 PM