12-01-2016 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
gentlydoingit* (01-12-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: What to buy for $100-200??
Since you said you're totally new to vaping, I'd just like to make a quick suggestion. Building your own coils is kind of difficult until you've had some practice, especially if you decide to build complex coils like the Clapton gentlydoingit suggested, so I'd recommend starting out with a tank that you can buy pre-made coils for instead. Now I've got a question for you: do you smoke? If you're a smoker trying to quit, you might want something that will give you the mouth-to-lung hit like when you puff on a cigarette, but if you're not a smoker you might prefer just inhaling it straight into your lungs, which allows you to use more powerful tanks. For mouth-to-lung, I suggest a Nautilus Mini tank. It's a great tank with awesome flavor, and you can buy coils at pretty much any vape shop because it's a common tank. If you'd rather go with a more powerful tank for straight to lung inhale, then I recommend the Arctic tank or the Herakles. Both are really good tanks, great flavor and big clouds, and you can buy coils for them pretty cheap online or at some stores. 

As far as the mod you put under the tank, that too depends on your preference. If you're wanting the mouth-to-lung hits, then you won't need a more powerful mod. For that I suggest something simple like an iStick 50W, which is a good inexpensive device with a built-in battery that will easily last all day on a full charge, sometimes I get 2-3 days out of mine. Or if you prefer the more powerful option, then my favorite mod of all time (so far) is the Sigelei-100W. The Great thing about the Sigelei is that it has a very low minimum resistance, which means if you're building your own coils and adjusting them, the mod will still fire even if the coils aren't perfect yet. And it can use anywhere from 10W—100W, which means you can use it with literally any tank, high or low powered. I use mine every single day, out of all the mods I own it's my go-to and it's awesome. 

So recap: 

If you want a mouth-to-lung hit, I suggest a Nautilus Mini ($30) with an iStick 50W ($70). No need for batteries or a charger with this one since the battery is built-in and it charges with a standard micro USB. 

For deeper lung hits (and honestly, a better vape all around imho) I recommend an Arctic tank ($30) or Herakles (also about $30) with a Sigelei-100W ($80) and three pairs of batteries ($60) and a battery charger ($25). You don't necessarily NEED three pairs, but it's nice to have a couple spares. I have four pairs for mine, but you could get by with just two. The idea here is to keep one pair charged while you're using the other, so when you run out of power you can just switch them out instead of having to wait for them to charge. Three pairs is a good idea just in case you forget to charge one, you aren't stuck with two drained pairs and no way to vape, since that third pair is charged. 

I know all these words and suggestions can be overwhelming for a new vaper, so let me just say it really all boils down to personal preference. I just want to give you some other options that are my personal favorites, but really it's hard to go wrong with anything from a reputable seller since vaping technology has gotten so good lately. I would recommend staying away from RTAs for now, since rebuildable tanks have a steep learning curve so in my opinion, it's best to have a good tank that doesn't need rebuilt, that way you've got something that definitely works, and if you decide you want to learn to build your own coils then you can just get an RTA later and you've still got your first tank to use while you're practicing building coils. 

Anyway, welcome to the forum and to the world of vaping! Be sure to check out our FAQ section for safety information and other fun stuff, and if you have any questions or anything you know where to find us Wink 
13-01-2016 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
LongDong Offline

Likes Given: 1
(12-01-2016 07:41 PM)paulS Wrote:  I built a 26/32, 316 SS Clapton build for a TC mod or to vape in power mode for my aromamizer last time out. I plan on putting thatb build in my mutation x. Vapes fantastic. You don't buy these copils. You build them. That is why I suggested a tank with prebuilt coils. Get one with an RBA deck and learn slowly if you want. Otherwise you will need to learn how to build your own coils. You can by prebuilt clapton coils online. Google it. They are always on ebay for sale and some local B=Ms stock a few as well. You still need to learn how to insert and wick them though - very easy. As for cotton - I prefer cooton bacon 2. Others like muji squares. Some even buy balls from walmart.

Mike and I are seasoned coil builders. For us RDAs and RTAs are a given. That is what we vape. But you can happily vape on a sub ohm tank with prebuilt coils too. You will have a learning curve with the grifin. It is not plug and play. Worth the effort though.
I know you build them. I am ok with that. I've watched people build them in-person. It doesn't look extremely intimidating. I feel I will be capable of learning. It will be an RTA but I guess and RTA is still an RBA just with a tank. I'm excited to learn actually. It seems like a fun little project. I think my mother bought some cotton from Walmart for her vape. I'll try that first. I'll probably buy some cotton bacon though just to try it. THanks for replying!!
(12-01-2016 09:34 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Hey Longdong, I've replied to your pm with the specifics, though if your not already a coil builder it'll be a steep learning curve. Like Paul said though, once you learn it's well worth the effort Smile

Longdong.. haha. I might change mine to Hugh Chang
Thanks so much!! I understand it is a steep learning curve, but I am ready! If it's worth it, then that is what I'm going to do. 

Lol I just thought of this name the other day when I was picking out a team name for 2k.
(13-01-2016 03:50 PM)Michael Wrote:  Since you said you're totally new to vaping, I'd just like to make a quick suggestion. Building your own coils is kind of difficult until you've had some practice, especially if you decide to build complex coils like the Clapton gentlydoingit suggested, so I'd recommend starting out with a tank that you can buy pre-made coils for instead. Now I've got a question for you: do you smoke? If you're a smoker trying to quit, you might want something that will give you the mouth-to-lung hit like when you puff on a cigarette, but if you're not a smoker you might prefer just inhaling it straight into your lungs, which allows you to use more powerful tanks. For mouth-to-lung, I suggest a Nautilus Mini tank. It's a great tank with awesome flavor, and you can buy coils at pretty much any vape shop because it's a common tank. If you'd rather go with a more powerful tank for straight to lung inhale, then I recommend the Arctic tank or the Herakles. Both are really good tanks, great flavor and big clouds, and you can buy coils for them pretty cheap online or at some stores. 

As far as the mod you put under the tank, that too depends on your preference. If you're wanting the mouth-to-lung hits, then you won't need a more powerful mod. For that I suggest something simple like an iStick 50W, which is a good inexpensive device with a built-in battery that will easily last all day on a full charge, sometimes I get 2-3 days out of mine. Or if you prefer the more powerful option, then my favorite mod of all time (so far) is the Sigelei-100W. The Great thing about the Sigelei is that it has a very low minimum resistance, which means if you're building your own coils and adjusting them, the mod will still fire even if the coils aren't perfect yet. And it can use anywhere from 10W—100W, which means you can use it with literally any tank, high or low powered. I use mine every single day, out of all the mods I own it's my go-to and it's awesome. 

So recap: 

If you want a mouth-to-lung hit, I suggest a Nautilus Mini ($30) with an iStick 50W ($70). No need for batteries or a charger with this one since the battery is built-in and it charges with a standard micro USB. 

For deeper lung hits (and honestly, a better vape all around imho) I recommend an Arctic tank ($30) or Herakles (also about $30) with a Sigelei-100W ($80) and three pairs of batteries ($60) and a battery charger ($25). You don't necessarily NEED three pairs, but it's nice to have a couple spares. I have four pairs for mine, but you could get by with just two. The idea here is to keep one pair charged while you're using the other, so when you run out of power you can just switch them out instead of having to wait for them to charge. Three pairs is a good idea just in case you forget to charge one, you aren't stuck with two drained pairs and no way to vape, since that third pair is charged. 

I know all these words and suggestions can be overwhelming for a new vaper, so let me just say it really all boils down to personal preference. I just want to give you some other options that are my personal favorites, but really it's hard to go wrong with anything from a reputable seller since vaping technology has gotten so good lately. I would recommend staying away from RTAs for now, since rebuildable tanks have a steep learning curve so in my opinion, it's best to have a good tank that doesn't need rebuilt, that way you've got something that definitely works, and if you decide you want to learn to build your own coils then you can just get an RTA later and you've still got your first tank to use while you're practicing building coils. 

Anyway, welcome to the forum and to the world of vaping! Be sure to check out our FAQ section for safety information and other fun stuff, and if you have any questions or anything you know where to find us Wink 
I just wouldn't buy pre-made coils. My personality is one where I want the best of something, especially if it requires more work/effort than the lesser alternative. Yes, I am a smoker who is trying to quit. I haven't had a cigarette in 11 days. I completely understand the two things you're describing. When I smoke a cigarette, I definitely do the mouth to lung hit. I enjoy the feeling in your throat after that type of hit. However, when I vape, I usually like to inhale straight to the lungs for a big cloud. My interest alternates. I actually ordered the Griffin RTA tank last night before reading your post. Was that a good choice? It was recommended by a few people online, and it looked really nice, so I went ahead with the order. 

I've used the iSticks, but only the 30W version. I think they are a piece of shit. The 50W is probably way better. I definitely want something of higher quality. Now that Sigelei you described sounds like my type of mod. I actually already ordered the Wismec Reuleaux RX200 last night. I have to get a vape quick as quitting cigarettes cold turkey is killing me. Do you think I made an OK choice?

I bought 6 LG 18650 batteries for the RX200. 3 fills the device, so I should be good with that. And my mom already has a charger apparently that will charge my 18650s, so that's cool too. 

I already went with purchasing an RTA. If it's going to provide the best experience, then that is what I want. I can't see myself owning a whole bunch of vapes. This will be my vape and that is probably it for a long while. But who knows? Maybe I'll get addicted and turn this into a full-fledge hobby. It's possible now that I've given up alcohol and cigarettes, lol. And remember, TONS of vape shops will help you completely build your vape for you. They want to make you a customer for juice, coils, etc. So they do not care where you got your equipment from. They'll even give you advice on what to buy and you can go home, get it online, then bring it to them and they'll build it for you. Free of charge! Lol. I definitely won't be stuck with a bunch of shit I can't use because I can't figure out how to build the coils lol. And they'll be teaching me at the same time. Better than youtube huh? Haha.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I really appreciate it!
13-01-2016 08:32 PM
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,719
For coil building, a set of Kuro Koilers makes awkward greenies like me look like good builders. Super cool little unitaskers.
13-01-2016 08:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Don (01-13-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,344
Again agreed TW. I'm completely rubbish at building coils - Kuro devices make it easy. 

Just don't bother using them with nickel wire (far too soft) or thicker titanium wire (far too stiff). They are usable with up to 0.5mm titanium wire and just usable with 0.8mm Kanthal. They prefer Kanthal wire in the 0.3mm to 0.7mm range.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
13-01-2016 09:47 PM
LongDong Offline

(13-01-2016 08:51 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  For coil building, a set of Kuro Koilers makes awkward greenies like me look like good builders. Super cool little unitaskers.
You mean this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXzCcvk0aYo (8:20)

That whole video made me feel 10x better about building. I think I'll be OK. 
13-01-2016 10:01 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,344
Take your pick from this lot.
https://www.fasttech.com/search?kuro

They are fine from around 0.3-0.7mm Kanthal and are useless with nickel wire and just about impossible with titanium wire above 0.5mm.

I've never tried them with stainless steel wire as I've never used any so don't know how well or otherwise it works.

But it is well worth dropping a few dollars on a set.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
13-01-2016 10:09 PM
LongDong Offline

Wooooooooooooooo!! I'm vapin like a boss now!
[Image: IMG_00151.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0014.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0016.jpg][Image: IMG_0024.jpg]
21-01-2016 01:34 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like LongDong's post:
Almost Jaded (01-21-2016), gentlydoingit* (01-21-2016), Michael (01-21-2016)
LongDong Offline

This thing blows CLOUDS!!!! And tastes AMAZING! Thank you all so, so much for helping me!! I brought everything to our local vape shop and the guys there taught me as they built it. I picked up some Bird Brains juice. It tastes like cereal[Image: clear.png] They also told me everything I have is 100% authentic. This thing has a very high quality feel to it. It is comfortable to hold. The black on black looks awesome. I couldn't be happier
21-01-2016 01:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongDong's post:
gentlydoingit* (01-21-2016)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
I was going to say "lap dances", but I see you already blew the dough on something stupid.

Tongue

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
21-01-2016 03:42 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
LongDong (01-21-2016), Michael (01-21-2016), TinWhisker (01-21-2016)