Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What is the best wicking material
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,104
What is the best wicking material
So lately I have been using Texas Tuff raw cotton for wicking. I find it is heat resistant and does not burn as quickly (lasts longer) and has a really good taste. This cotton is just sterilized. Nothing is added. It is organic and natural. In the past I have used a number of different materials. My issues are break in time (some cotton needs to vaped awhile before it really starts tasting good (cotton bacon, cotton balls, muji). Some cottons are not very heat resistant. Here is a breakdown.

Japanese cotton

I've used Muji squares and Koh Gen Do squares. These were my go to for awhile but I found I prefer to just pull the cotton off and not cut it, pull off the outer layer, twist it. Taste was good but i found myself changing wicks often ( burnt too quickly). They are made from cotton that has not been chemically treated or pigmented. The squares are sold in packs of course and relatively cheap. This cotton is not bleached but it is not raw like Texas cotton.

Cotton Bacon 2 

Really popular brand. They claim it is also organic and it appears to be so. It does a good job similar to the Japanese cotton squares. I find it very easy to handle myself and have some on hand.

Walmart cotton balls

This is your cheapest cotton. You want to buy organic untreated cotton balls or another form of untreated cotton. You can get big bags and they last forever.

Silica Wick

This was my first wicking material and it still comes with some attys. Silika wick is also pretty easy to use. You can either build a coil and thread the silica threw it or you can wrap a coil around the silica. Pushing a pin threw the silica will make it easy to wrap with a coil. This was how i started and I still occasionally wrap wire around it.

So these are the most common forms of wicking but we have others.

Ekowool

This seems similar to braided silica wick. But it is more absorbent. Some even have a cotton center. This stuff is expensive. If it was cheaper I would use it.

Hemp

WTF??? I know a few guys who use this. They biol it and wick with it because they vape tobacco flavors and this stuff works well with those flavors. I don't like it.

Native Wick

Another USA made cotton like Texas cotton. I like it. It is very absorbent like the Texas stuff. Like the Texas cotton it is also heat resistant - so burns less. I like it but it has more prcessing than the Texas variety.

Rayon Celluloid

Some guys like this stuff. I am scared to use it quite frankly. You cannot convince me it is safe.

Drago Cotton Roll

I'm going to give this a thorough test. It is Egyptian cotton made in Italy. I tried it once in a dripper ... the flavor was really superb. It costs a bit more. But it starts tasting good right away (like the Texas stuff). Now Drago is a premium cotton and comes in roll that looks like a cinnamon bun, lol. You have to unroll it, break it into a few smaller sheets and store in a plastic baggie. You have to pull and roll the piece you are using. Too much work for me but an excellent vape for sure.

Bottom line - Texas Tuff and Drago are the two best for flvor and break in the fastest (virtually on the first pull). For competition - cotton bacon or japanese cotton will produce more cloud.

So guys - add yopur favorites and give us some details.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 03:35 AM by paulS.)
03-02-2016 02:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like paulS's post:
Chuck-Drl (02-03-2016), Fatboy (06-25-2016), gentlydoingit* (02-03-2016), peter-k (02-03-2016), TinWhisker (06-25-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,436
RE: What is the best wicking material
Cellu cotton.. I saw some made from seaweed, although acid derived I doubt it's unsafe. Normal stuff is OK until the dry hit, when it tastes like a burned news paper!
Native is OK but I find it too thin with no body. You need to back comb the tails quite a bit. Plus it doesn't condense, so getting it through the coil is a pain.
Pima cotton tastes like ass for the first 20 minutes but really works well.

My faves are Scottish wicking muji or bacon v2.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
03-02-2016 02:24 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Fatboy (06-25-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
Thanks you for the useful overview, Paul. What are the concerns regarding silica wick?

While I don't mind to wick or even building the coil, I think the best wicking material would be no wicking material. Or one that needs to be changed only every few weeks or months or so for hygenie purpose, one that does not burn.
03-02-2016 02:47 AM
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,736
the Drago is uber absorbant , the drawback is it's random fiber and has no grain . on the pluss side there is a lot of cotton to work with . if you use vape donuts , stove top coils or nano dragon its the cats @$$ . a bit awkward to get into a small diameter coil .
over all it's a nice product

Burbon comes from Kentucky , scotch comes from Scotland . Others deserve no bottle .
03-02-2016 03:08 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Chuck-Drl's post:
Eggza (07-19-2016), Fatboy (06-25-2016), paulS (02-03-2016)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,104
Silica is what it is. It is not terribly absorbent but it has no health concerns if that is what you are asking. It is easy enough to work with but unlike cotton you cannot mold it. Just not my favorite taste also as cotton is clearly better flavor and as I said it really absorbs poorly. It lasts longer than cotton though. I also find silica cannot be chain vaped like cotton.

Yep muji and cotton 2 are both decent enough. Yep both Texas Tuff and Native Wicks are thin. You need to use a bit more. I find putting it through the wicks easy enough though. And I don't comb either. Cotton is malleable. Of course mike likes cotton 2 and muji - they are the best cloud producers Thank_you2

I never mentioned cellu cotton (safety issues maybe) or ss mesh because they both clearly have problems, lol. Also forgot to mention VCC (vapor's choice cotton) made in the USA with supima cotton. This is tough and absorbent as well. I used this until my shop stopped carrying it. It is much tougher than the Texas or Drago. And I should have mentioned this - always wash your hands before you wick. And make sure the cotton is snug but not tight. I like to twist both ends when inserting then push back and forth a bit then fluff up the cotton after cutting it. Yes, most of you guys know this. But maybe some newcomers don't.

The best wick is the wick you like best.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 01:45 PM by paulS.)
03-02-2016 03:11 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
Fatboy (06-25-2016)
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,736
just don't use body wash ,the perfumes in body wash tend to transfer . morning rain may smell good ,but it tastes horrible.

Burbon comes from Kentucky , scotch comes from Scotland . Others deserve no bottle .
03-02-2016 03:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chuck-Drl's post:
Fatboy (06-25-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I've been using rayon (cellucotton) for quite a while, and to me it's the easiest to work with and it tastes great. I've tried organic cotton and silica wick but never had much luck with either. Rayon is easier to work with in my opinion simply because you don't have to guess as much with how much to use, you can pack it in there a little tighter than cotton and it seems to wick much better. But like you mentioned, I don't really have any idea what's in it or if it's 100% safe, I just don't really care because it tastes good and it has to be better than smoking Tongue
03-02-2016 04:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Fatboy (06-25-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,935
I've been looking at Ekowool lately, wondering if I should try it. As I understand it, it comes in pre-made diameter measurements so it is super easy to slide into the coils. I'm seeing reviews that are saying it lasts a lot longer than cotton bacon, which is appealing if true. Any downside to it aside from cost? Anyone have any lengthy experience with it?
25-06-2016 08:51 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
If I'm reading correcty, Ekowool is essentially the same as braided silica wick, right? 

If so, I've used that stuff before. Never much cared for it. It can be dry burned without damaging the wick, which is kind of nice, but the flavor is lacking compared to Muji or rayon. 

That is, if I'm right and it's the same thing. It looks the same from my cursory Google search, but looks aren't everything and I don't think I've ever used anything under the name "Ekowool" just generic braided silica wick. 
25-06-2016 09:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Fatboy (06-25-2016)
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,887
Ekowool is just grossly overpriced silica. I've used it and I used to use nothing else (silica - not Ekowool specifically). These days I only use Muji cotton. There are other cotton brands out there, but if I live to 200 years old I may run out of Muji cotton pads. the box of the stuff I bought a couple of years ago was half the size o9f my smallest (80lb) dog.

I believe the current Muji stuff is not so good for vaping but I'm not about to run out of the good stuff.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
25-06-2016 09:05 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Fatboy (06-25-2016), Michael (06-25-2016)