Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 3.88 Average
What did you get today?
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,575
RE: What did you get today?
Well today I got my Kraken clone with a special thanks to JohnnyMac (our bromance is strong - according to his wife and mine Wink)

I also have to thank Johnny for putting up with my bitching and moaning about the darn thing!! Big Grin Big Grin

E-juice everywhere, the SS mesh went in the bin and back out a few times... Umpteen different coils and wicks none of which worked, even with a 2.3 ohm coil the wicking couldn't keep up!!

Well as usual Johnny calmed me down and walked me through different things, assuring me the whole time that it could be done.

So after about 4 hours solid with an untold number of expletives - I took a break and thought it through, taking into account some of the things Johnny told me.

Conclusion = Now finally figured out that I'm an idiot and should have listened in the first place as my wicks were all too tight in the holes including the mesh. The shorts were happening because I hadn't oxidized my mesh enough (sigh)

Now I'm over the moon because I'm Vaping it with a 1.1 ohm single micro (not nano) coil with a mesh + 2x cotton wicks feeding the coil. The flavour is the best yet and the plumes of Vape are incredible!!

Well chuffed now - in fact I AM the cow that jumped over the moon! Big Grin
07-12-2013 12:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
(07-12-2013 12:02 AM)Spasmod Wrote:  Well today I got my Kraken clone with a special thanks to JohnnyMac (our bromance is strong - according to his wife and mine Wink)

I also have to thank Johnny for putting up with my bitching and moaning about the darn thing!! Big Grin Big Grin

E-juice everywhere, the SS mesh went in the bin and back out a few times... Umpteen different coils and wicks none of which worked, even with a 2.3 ohm coil the wicking couldn't keep up!!

Well as usual Johnny calmed me down and walked me through different things, assuring me the whole time that it could be done.

So after about 4 hours solid with an untold number of expletives - I took a break and thought it through, taking into account some of the things Johnny told me.

Conclusion = Now finally figured out that I'm an idiot and should have listened in the first place as my wicks were all too tight in the holes including the mesh. The shorts were happening because I hadn't oxidized my mesh enough (sigh)

Now I'm over the moon because I'm Vaping it with a 1.1 ohm single micro (not nano) coil with a mesh + 2x cotton wicks feeding the coil. The flavour is the best yet and the plumes of Vape are incredible!!

Well chuffed now - in fact I AM the cow that jumped over the moon! Big Grin
W00T!!! So good to hear you like it. Big Grin
07-12-2013 12:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,575
(07-12-2013 12:07 AM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  W00T!!!  So good to hear you like it. Big Grin
Thanks man! couldn't have done it without your calming influence Tongue
07-12-2013 12:14 AM
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 12,199
I don't get on with SS mesh either despite all but melting the stuff. Wrap it in a Rizla tightly and set fire to the Rizla. Works (sorta/kinda) for me. Still shorts every chance it gets... It's easier to coat the stuff in carbon (Which is what is really meant by "oxidising" in this context.) than  to really "oxidise" half-decent or decent stainless steel. If it really is a good grade of SS (18% nickel/8% chromium/bugger-all everything else other than iron) you aren't oxidising it short of ludicrously high temperatures and pressures (Temp below the melting point of iron (around 1500C)) And you'll still need some carbon. Get the temp and pressure high enough and you could diamond coat it. Which would work very, very well as long as you don't mind the price - think around $/£200K per square inch.

Time for some chromic acid - more or less the most potent oxidising agent known to man (It's green, it fumes lethal fumes, it'll eat pretty much everything including gold) - till you get into fluorine chemistry (just don't!). If it doesn't eat your face, it'll give you cancer instead. But very, very good at oxidising stuff... And so nasty that nobody sells it, you have to make it for yourself. Since it'll eat most containers pretty quickly.

Used to use it in bucketloads at work when I was a chemist.

But I'd go for the cigarette paper wrapped round it and burned every time. A lot safer and a huge amount cheaper.  If you can "oxidise" it with a flame it wasn't stainless steel anyway...

Pure iron mesh would be a lot easier if anyone sells it. Just dip it in household bleach (or even seawater) for a few hours then wash it and it won't conduct electricity any more. Which is a big deal for vapers. Anodised aluminium mesh would be better. Hard anodised aluminium mesh would be perfect - it'd basically be aluminium oxide mesh which doesn't conduct electricity at all. But would cost a lot. And would be about as delicate as a Coleman/Tilley lamp mantle that'd been burnt.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
07-12-2013 12:25 AM
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
I got a rocket rba yesterday.  The only leaking issue I've had so far is when James got hold of it and unscrewed the tank.....

Shoved in a 1ohm .5mm ribbon micro coil and some cotton,  I've put a tank and a half through it, vapes great, wicks great. I need a kayfun.....
08-12-2013 08:52 AM
the little puffer Offline

Likes Given: 0
Hows the ribbon working for you graham
09-12-2013 11:48 PM
gords1001 Offline

Spot on from my limited testing, its in both the rocket and fogger, the .5 size, both are between 1ohm and 1.4ohm micro coils, both haven't been put down since I got them, neither one leaks or floods eitherCool
10-12-2013 09:08 AM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Nice, Graham!  I have the 0.8mm ribbon and it is too wide.  Best I can get is about .5 ohms with it.  I really need to order up some 0.5mm.  Thanks for the tip! Cool
11-12-2013 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline

I think ive got .3 .4 and .5, the .5 seems to be the sweet stuff for most buoods I've tried so far.

You want to see the picture wayne just posted on Facebook. ....

My PayPal is going to be broken....
11-12-2013 02:42 PM
gords1001 Offline

https://m.facebook.com/FacebookUK?_rdr#!...1322243917

For those of you with Facebook,  I just got myself in trouble.....
11-12-2013 04:13 PM