Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What am I doing wrong?
ambro Offline

Likes Given: 5
What am I doing wrong?
I bought myself a 30W Eleaf Istick, and a nautilus mini clearomizer tank, because of all the rave reviews I've read.

I set everything up and am either vaping too harsh or too little. I can't seem to find that middle ground between too much and too little, and there is no flavor, or burnt flavor. Despite reading all I can find online, I still don't understand the whole voltage and watts and all that. Maybe I should have stuck with my beginners EVOD.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone have any suggestions? Because I've gone back to full time smoking because of the disappointment.
10-02-2015 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: What am I doing wrong?
I'm sorry to hear you went back to smoking, I hope we can clear up the problem for you so you can ditch the stinkies. I don't have that particular tank, so I'll try to give a little general troubleshooting until someone who has one comes along. What's the PG/VG ratio of your juice? Sometimes tanks can't get the juice to the wick fast enough with high VG juice, so it gives dry hits at too high wattage and hardly anything at lower wattage. Are you using a brand new coil? Old coils can act the same way. What's the resistance on your coils? Certain power settings tend to work better with certain resistances, so we might be able to help a little better knowing that. 

Sorry I can't give more specific information, I hope that helps! 
11-02-2015 12:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ambro Offline

Troubleshooting is good!!

Ok, so the stuff I bought was from Ultramix, which says it's 100% VG, and the local stuff I have is from Darkside Creations, and from what I can find online, it says never below 70% VG. So maybe I need to look for some different juice? I am trying to find a good strong menthol flavor if that makes a difference.

I just got this setup in the mail so it's all brand-spanking new Smile

I didn't get an option as to resistance on the nautilus mini, but the one that I ended up with is 1.8 Ohm.

Just glad I can get some help with this!
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 12:45 AM by ambro.)
11-02-2015 12:43 AM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Michael is right, Ambro, VG content makes all the difference with a BCC clearo. There are little to none that can handle high VG properly. I've found that nothing higher than a 50/50 ratio works with BCC atties and I doubt that the Nautilus Mini is any different. I rarely use clearos these days except for the Atlantis but when I did I found that the Chinese juices like Hangsen, or Dekang and even Liqua work best as they are 70/30 PG/VG in content.
11-02-2015 03:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
Michael (02-11-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I'll agree with Johnny, Hangsen juice is great. There are also some great juice manufacturers here in the states, I personally recommend Mountain Oak Vapors as they're what I've used ever since I started vaping. They have a great juice called "Cool Berry" which is mixed berry with menthol, used to be my favorite juice before I started dripping. Hangsen's Tobacco flavor is great, I actually reviewed it here on the forum. Hangsen is a bit cheaper than Mountain Oak's juice, one of our vendors here on the forum (www.cvapor.com) sells Hangsen at good prices and pretty fast shipping.
11-02-2015 03:18 AM
Robjenko Online
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,265
JohnnyMac and Michael have more or less covered it . I've never used the juice but I have a nautilus and the juice holes on the head are tiny I have to mix my juice at 55/45 PG/VG in order to vape with the nautilus when I do use it. Hope this helps

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
11-02-2015 06:17 AM
bubba Offline

Likes Given: 0
Good advice from all the above.  I had an istick before along with a nautilus mini tank.  In my opinion, the istick hits alittle harder when setting your watts compare to other regulated mods, for example, if I set the istick at 20 watts it will feel like I was vaping at 22 watts .  Setting it lower may help a bit.  The nautilus mini was my first tank and still have it laying around.  The standard coils for those tanks should be 1.9 ohms the lowest, so, if you wanted to keep the set up that you have... maybe setting the istick between 11 -18 watts should be the max for the coil of the nautilus (just my opinion).  You would definitely have to put a couple of drops onto the top of the coil and not in the 2 holes and give it 1 to 2 minutes to soak up before putting your tank together.  Then again, you mentioned that your juice is 100% vg.  100% vg would not really work on that tank.  The 2 holes are too small for that thick of a juice.  I use to use 60vg/ 40 pg on that tank and it did ok.   Hope that makes sense.  I was cutting and pasting on what I wrote.
On another note, Just out of curiosity, were you vaping while you were laying down?  If so, that would possibly cause the harsh/dry burnt taste.  Bottom coil set ups are best vaping vertical, lol
11-02-2015 12:59 PM
ambro Offline

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I've switched out the 100%VG for the 70%VG that I have in the house (because if I buy more right now my husband will kill me) and lowered the setting to 15W, and its performing much better!

No more burnt taste, no longer so harsh that I'm coughing.

Could go for more throat hit, but things are better.

In the future I'll check the VG and PG percentages before purchase!

Thanks for the troubleshooting help!!
11-02-2015 10:54 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like ambro's post:
BOB (02-11-2015), Michael (02-11-2015), Robjenko (02-11-2015), Spasmod (02-12-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Getting higher PG juice will give it a stronger throat hit, so once you get more juice you should be fine. 
11-02-2015 11:04 PM
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
Here's a really important question....are you using the Nautilus at 30 watts?  If you are, that is WAY too high for a Nautilus.  The Nautilus is effective from 5 to around 12 watts....anything more and you'll burn the coil every time.

Another thing about Nautilus tanks...when you put in a new coil...drip 4-6 drops of juice directly onto the head of the coil through the top.  This will speed up the soaking.  This actually goes for the Nautilus, ETS, and Atlantis tanks. 

I hope this helps a bit.
12-02-2015 06:27 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Nihilum's post:
Michael (02-12-2015), Spasmod (02-12-2015)