Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wannabe vaper...help me decide!
Chase_the_Clouds Offline

Likes Given: 0
Wannabe vaper...help me decide!
As a slight intro, my name is Chase and I have been a huge fan of smoking hookah and cigars. I don't really know how I got interested in vaping, but I now have an instagram account totally devoted to vape mods. Unfortunately though, up until now, I haven't had the money to get into it. I have just been enjoying the pictures and videos and have been doing a ton of contests to hope i can wun a mod. No luck to this point. With a supposed bonus and tax refunds coming up, I am hoping I can finally get my first mod. 

Now that I have you caught up, I am hoping for some advice on what to get. I am hoping to jump right into everything and want to get one mech or box mod and one RDA and one RBA so I have some options. I probably won't have a ton of Money to spend so the RDA will probably have to be a clone. 

I was thinking maybe the IPV3, an Atlantis and maybe a Mutation clone. Thoughts? I generally know all of the accessories I need, but if you want to provide advice on that too, it will be appreciated. 

I'll be honest, I will mostly be doing it for fun and attempting to blow some intense clouds. It isn't a quit smoking thing for me but I have huge respect for the people that do it for that reason. 
(This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 02:10 PM by Chase_the_Clouds.)
24-01-2015 02:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,057
RE: Wannabe vaper...help me decide!
hi Chase welcome to TVF
if its clouds you are after I would recommend a RDA
I have the doge, mutation and atty  all RDA and they all work great
the batterys are very important and the sony VTC 4 or 5 from a reputable dealer are probably your best bet
as far as clones vs originals I own both and have found the clones I have are just as good as the originals and at a fraction of the price
if its in your price range the sigellie 100w box mod is an excellent bit of kit
I don't have the IPV3 or an atlantis so I cant say about those
I am sure some of the other guys will be here later with their advice

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
24-01-2015 02:41 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BOB's post:
Michael (01-24-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,986
Some good advice from Bob there, and also yeah an IPV3 coupled with an Atlantis tank will give a decent output for sure, especially for the new vaper.
24-01-2015 02:58 PM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,393
(24-01-2015 02:09 PM)Chase_the_Clouds Wrote:  As a slight intro, my name is Chase and I have been a huge fan of smoking hookah and cigars. I don't really know how I got interested in vaping, but I now have an instagram account totally devoted to vape mods. Unfortunately though, up until now, I haven't had the money to get into it. I have just been enjoying the pictures and videos and have been doing a ton of contests to hope i can wun a mod. No luck to this point. With a supposed bonus and tax refunds coming up, I am hoping I can finally get my first mod. 

Now that I have you caught up, I am hoping for some advice on what to get. I am hoping to jump right into everything and want to get one mech or box mod and one RDA and one RBA so I have some options. I probably won't have a ton of Money to spend so the RDA will probably have to be a clone. 

I was thinking maybe the IPV3, an Atlantis and maybe a Mutation clone. Thoughts? I generally know all of the accessories I need, but if you want to provide advice on that too, it will be appreciated. 

I'll be honest, I will mostly be doing it for fun and attempting to blow some intense clouds. It isn't a quit smoking thing for me but I have huge respect for the people that do it for that reason. 
Hi Chase welcome the TVF. As Bob said the sigellie 100w box mod would be a good choiceGood. I have an Atlantis and you can produce some decent clouds with the sub ohm head. Big Grin

You say it not about quitting smoking for youSmoke, but once you start vaping I for one think you will end up quitting at least I hope you will.

Let us all know how you get on..Good3

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
24-01-2015 04:03 PM
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,341
Welcome to the forum! As others have stated, the Sigelei-100W is a spectacular device. I've got a review of it lying around here on the forum someplace, if you want to see a detailed look at it. With any box mod, you need to properly handle the batteries and make sure to only use them together, don't ever use them separately since they need to be exactly the same for safety purposes. Same goes for charging, always charge them at the same time and make sure they have the same voltage when charged. 

The Mutation X RDA is a great atty, and it's one of the few authentics that are affordable. Of course, you can get a clone even cheaper. For clouds, my favorite RDA is the Dark Horse. It has a ton of airflow options, and it's really easy to build on. Another option is a Doge, which is also a great RDA with a ton of airflow, possibly even too much airflow (which is saying a lot, since I like a really really airy draw). If you're wanting to blow big clouds, then I guarantee that after you try an RDA you'll never want to use a tank again. I have several rebuildable tanks, but I can't even remember the last time I used them. The only exception is a Big Dripper, which is an RDA with a tank on top so you get the flavor and clouds of an RDA, with the added bonus of not having to drip all the time. 

I agree with Robjenko, I started vaping just as a way to get some nicotine in those times when I couldn't smoke, but I ended up dropping smoking altogether without even meaning to. There's a lot of benefits to quitting, and for me vaping is much more enjoyable than smoking. But we don't judge here, so if you want to keep smoking we won't preach at you too much Smile
24-01-2015 07:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chase_the_Clouds Offline

Sorry, I wasn't clear... I don't smoke cigarettes...that's why I'm not using it as a way to quit. Haha. Just as a hobby be cause I enjoy cigars and hookah. The cigars are few and far between. I used to be into them a lot more but not as much the last couple years. 

Thanks for the advice so far. The Siglei is actually the other one I was looking into. 

For the sake of clouds, do you think those box mods would be better or should I just go with a standard mech mod (stick)? What is the advantage of one over the other? I was thinking possibly the new tugboat mod or possibly a cartel or Manhattan clone. Any other thoughts? 

Also, what can be done to limit the throat hit when vaping? I will be going in at 0 nic, I know that helps some. Is it even possible when cloud chasing?
24-01-2015 09:53 PM
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,419
Don't use PG at all.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
24-01-2015 10:17 PM
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
Hey there Chase, Welcome to TVF

[Image: tumblr_mpic3sgfM91rexoi3o1_250_zpsd2fc522a.gif]
24-01-2015 11:56 PM
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,341
(24-01-2015 09:53 PM)Chase_the_Clouds Wrote:  Sorry, I wasn't clear... I don't smoke cigarettes...that's why I'm not using it as a way to quit. Haha. Just as a hobby be cause I enjoy cigars and hookah. The cigars are few and far between. I used to be into them a lot more but not as much the last couple years. 

Thanks for the advice so far. The Siglei is actually the other one I was looking into. 

For the sake of clouds, do you think those box mods would be better or should I just go with a standard mech mod (stick)? What is the advantage of one over the other? I was thinking possibly the new tugboat mod or possibly a cartel or Manhattan clone. Any other thoughts? 

Also, what can be done to limit the throat hit when vaping? I will be going in at 0 nic, I know that helps some. Is it even possible when cloud chasing?

For the sake of clouds, a powerful regulated box mod like the Sigelei is perfect. Mech mods are good, but the power is taken directly from the battery so they slow down pretty quick when the battery is discharging. The Sigelei-100W, on the other hand, regulates the power output so it's consistent whether the batteries are fully charged or almost drained. 

Throat hit depends on a couple of things: flavor, PG/VG ratio, and nicotine strength. The flavors you use are important, I'd suggest you stick with things like bakery flavors and mild fruits. Citrus and cinnamon hit hardest from my experience. My personal favorites are custard or apple pie, both of those seem to always be mild no matter which brand of flavors I try. You always want to use high VG juice for clouds, and VG doesn't have nearly as much throat hit as juices with higher PG. One of my local shops sells juice that's 98% VG, which is about the highest you can get and it's awesome. The trade-off is that VG doesn't carry flavor as well as PG, so most high-VG juices will be more like 70VG/30PG or 80VG/20PG. And nicotine strength does affect it as well. I personally use 6mg juice most of the time, sometimes 3mg. I don't like 0mg, since the flavor just seems a bit "off" to me. I think nic-free juice just doesn't taste as good for some reason, perhaps the nic has its own flavor or something, but it always just seems like I'm vaping water with 0mg juice.

TL;DR - Sigelei-100W with a nice RDA, high VG juice, low nicotine, in a mild flavor.
25-01-2015 04:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chase_the_Clouds Offline

Thanks for all the help so far  I am kind of leaning towards the Sigelei100, an authentic Mutation atty, an Atlantis and an authentic Mutation mech mod. That will kind of cover everything for like $200ish...plus all the extras. If I can come in around $300, that may be perfect. Might spend the extra $50 to get the tugboat mech mod. Any thoughts on the Mutation mod vs the Tugboat mod?
25-01-2015 05:02 AM