Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vapers In Power introduction
jessica Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 243
Vapers In Power introduction
Vapers In Power is a UK political party, registered with the Electoral Commission.  It was set up to defend vaping against the clause in the Tobacco Products Directive which appears to forbid public discussion about vaping.  

We intend to put two candidates up for the UK Parliamentary election this May.

We do not expect to get our deposits back - we are using the election to get publicity to raise awareness of vaping.  We do not expect to  our candidates to be elected.   

Please look at our website for more information:  www.vapersinpower.co.uk

Please ask any questions you have in here.

And - a very big thank you to The Vaping Forum for making Vapers In Power so welcome Smile
11-01-2015 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like jessica's post:
Diche (01-12-2015), Robjenko (01-27-2015), Spasmod (01-12-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Vapers In Power introduction
I'm very impressed by what you guys are doing. It seems to me that just by having your party as a candidate in the election will put pressure on the "powers that be" to reconsider their stance to some degree. It's not often that people are so adamant about a single issue as to make an entire political party named after that issue, and it shows that you have some influence and people willing to pay to publicize your stance. Bravo, Vapers in Power! I just wish I could vote for you, though that would be pretty hard what with having the Atlantic Ocean between us and all Tongue
12-01-2015 04:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Spasmod (01-12-2015)
Diche Offline

Likes Given: 55
(12-01-2015 04:09 AM)Michael Wrote:  I'm very impressed by what you guys are doing. It seems to me that just by having your party as a candidate in the election will put pressure on the "powers that be" to reconsider their stance to some degree. It's not often that people are so adamant about a single issue as to make an entire political party named after that issue, and it shows that you have some influence and people willing to pay to publicize your stance. Bravo, Vapers in Power! I just wish I could vote for you, though that would be pretty hard what with having the Atlantic Ocean between us and all Tongue

We certainly hope we can draw attention to the issues at hand Smile

We came into existence due to the wording of Article 20, Section 5 of the TPD. There is no constitution in the UK so we don't have the same First Amendment Rights that you have across the pond. Freedom of Speech and the Right to Peaceful Assembly aren't enshrined in law here the same way they are in the states. There are some interesting rights with regards to political parties though Wink
12-01-2015 06:48 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Diche's post:
jessica (01-13-2015), Michael (01-13-2015), Spasmod (01-12-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,460
Nice to have someone who knows how to properly elaborate on some of the differences between national law. Thanks Diche Good2
12-01-2015 09:04 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Diche (01-13-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I typed out a big reply to that, but it got boring. Basically I took some political science classes in college and we briefly discussed the UK, but not in any depth so I'm pretty out-of-touch with how things work there, so thanks for the clarification. Here in the US, Freedom of Speech is a somewhat flawed institution. The problem is that there are stipulations on it such as inflammatory remarks, libel and slander, anything that might incite rebellion or violence, etc. And while it might seem like a good idea to suspend free speech in those cases, some of them are possible to interpret very widely to further political goals. So yes, technically we have free speech, but it's concerning to me that politicians may be influenced by big tobacco and/or big pharma to restrict discussion about ecigs, since it wouldn't be too hard for them to say "promoting ecigs is clearly inflammatory, so we have to keep people from talking about it." At least, that's the worst-case scenario as I see it. I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to government, which is one reason why I often avoid the topic entirely, but as a vaper and a staff member here I've begun to feel more and more that it's my duty to confront these problems and try to help in whatever small way that I can. 
13-01-2015 06:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
jessica (01-13-2015)
ElectronicEmily Offline

Likes Given: 93
Nice idea Jessica, I've shared it on our Twitter (@thesmokersangel) to help raise awareness Smile
27-01-2015 01:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ElectronicEmily's post:
Spasmod (01-27-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,270
(11-01-2015 09:42 PM)jessica Wrote:  Vapers In Power is a UK political party, registered with the Electoral Commission.  It was set up to defend vaping against the clause in the Tobacco Products Directive which appears to forbid public discussion about vaping.  

We intend to put two candidates up for the UK Parliamentary election this May.

We do not expect to get our deposits back - we are using the election to get publicity to raise awareness of vaping.  We do not expect to  our candidates to be elected.   

Please look at our website for more information:  www.vapersinpower.co.uk

Please ask any questions you have in here.

And - a very big thank you to The Vaping Forum for making Vapers In Power so welcome Smile
I'll be voting for you.. Good there is an estimated 2Million vapers in the UK so by my reckoning you should have 2Million Votes Boast

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
27-01-2015 01:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
Diche (01-29-2015)