Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vape Karma - or something...
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Vape Karma - or something...
The weirdest thing happened last night, it's like the vape Gods are watching me or something.

I went to a party for a couple of friends I haven't seen in a while, saw some other friends I don't see very often - great times.  One of these people is the one that originally got me into vaping, and we're comparing stories about our experiences quitting smoking and the mods we're using now, etc...  A few other people we know but see infrequently appear and they're vaping, pretty soon we have a little vaping corner going on at the bar - everything from an eGo and an MVP1 to my i50 and his monster mech mod.  And of course, we're talking about how we progressed to what and how and why.

I mention that I'm looking into making my own juices and that I've really gotten into making unique coil builds and modifying my parts.  One guy says "I started to get into modifying things and doing my own and it was just too tedious.  I bought all the stuff too - wire, cotton, an ohm meter, and a bunch of stuff.  You can have it if you want it, it's just sitting in a box in my garage".  Wouldn't let me pay him for it, either.  Then another one speaks up "I started mixing my own juice but it was a PITA and a vape shop opened like right across the street so I just buy juice from them.  You can have all my old stuff if you want, it's just sitting in my closet".

Literally in one night, I was just GIVEN an eLeaf ohm meter, a coil of 28awg Kanthol, all his "old useless tanks that I don't use anymore" - 2 old ProTank2's and a KayFun.  I gotta go to the other person's house to pick up the liters of VG and PG, nicotine juice, bottles, and "a bunch of fruity flavorings, I hope that's your thing".

In other news - if anyone wants a ProTank 2 or 3, because I had a few before and he handed me that bag, I now own like, 4 or 5 Pro2's and 2 Pro3's, LMAO....

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
26-04-2015 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
BOB (04-27-2015), CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-27-2015), JohnnyMac (04-26-2015), Michael (04-26-2015), TinWhisker (06-07-2018), Xprimentyl (04-28-2015)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,152
RE: Vape Karma - or something...
Can't be bad.

DIY mixing is easy and fun. OK, I used to be a chemist so am well used to doing such stuff.

There are a few posts of mine on how to go about it.

If you are mixing in bulk, buy and use a decent balance (scales). It is quicker and vastly easier for mixing up a pint or two of juice...

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
26-04-2015 09:24 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Almost Jaded (04-26-2015), BOB (04-27-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

So I just started going through all the stuff in that bag.  In addition to the 28 awg wire spool and ohm meter, there are: 

(1) KayFun Lite with box and all accessories and spare parts.  Wasn't the KayFun like, a thing that a lot of people had?  It seems awful to me, lol.  Air holes are tiny, wick holes are tiny, housing has too many parts...  Am I missing something, or does this thing kinda suck?  Regardless, I think I'm gonna try it out for a bit, since I was gonna get the wife a "real" tank for her i30 anyway.  We'll see how it goes.  Maybe I'll just end up modifying the hell out of it cuz it was free, lol.  Could be fun.

(2) ProTank2's.  Complete with boxes and all accessories.  Cool - now I own like 4 of these.  And I don't use any of them.

(2) iClear tanks of unknown model.  No boxes or anything.  I've heard people talk about the iClear, I've never used them.  Based on the design, I think I'm glad I've never used them.  What are these even good for?  Where does one get coils for them?  Why do they use an octopus for a wick?

(1) - unknown cartomizer.  No box no accessories.  This is a really interesting design.  Very simple and seems like it'd be effective, but I don't even know where the coils go.  Took me 2 minutes to figure out how it even came apart.  The design seems like it'd be a cheap plastic throw away - but then it has a real pyrex tank.  Two black plastic end caps and a carto that goes full length through it with 510 threading on the bottom.  The "wick" seems to be a foam of some kind?  No idea what to make of this thing.

Anyone have KayFun advice, and/or input on the mystery piece?  Should I just throw away the iClears, or are there people that could get some use out of them?  

26-04-2015 10:13 PM
Breazy_Com Offline

Likes Given: 32
Not bad Jaded ! Maybe you'll come up with a good juice mix and give those guys some !
26-04-2015 10:34 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Breazy_Com's post:
Almost Jaded (04-27-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
The Kayfun used to be really popular, before good rebuildable tanks became the norm. Now, it's a hunk of shit disguised as metal and glass. Some people might still use theirs and like them, but honestly I never got much use out of mine even when I first bought it. It's a pain in the ass to build, and it doesn't perform much better than a ProTank or any of the dozens of other clearomizers that are way easier to use. If I were you I'd try it out, just because it was free, and see if you like it more than I did, but don't expect too much out of it. It's just totally outclassed in every way these days. 

That's really awesome that your buddies just gave you that stuff! Sounds like you got some good stuff, and you can't beat the price Tongue 
26-04-2015 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Really great deal you stepped into last night!

The iClears are actually very nice atomizers for those who use vape pens and prefer a tight draw. They make good flavor. The reason for the "octopus" wicking is simple. The coil is at the top of the atomizer to avoid the gurgling and flooding that occurs easily with regular bottom coil clearos. The many wicks are to ensure enough juice gets pulled up to the coil(s) when the juice is lower in the tank.

The Kayfun was the shit back in the day ( just a year ago. LOL!) but has been surpassed by newer designs. It's the grand daddy of RTAs. Believe it or not there are still many who love and swear by them but those folks prefer the tight draw. They can be opened up for a bit more airflow but in my opinion they still suck and aren't worth the trouble. I have three of them because at the time they were the best available but I couldn't find one that worked well IMO and gave up after 3 tries. They leak and gurgle and can't feed a low ohm coil. A real PITA! Tongue
26-04-2015 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
Michael (04-27-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Hmm.  My wife is still using a ProTank3 which is an insanely tight draw, and requires that I buy coils for it (because screw trying to rebuild those microscopic things).  She never gets north of about 7.5-8 watts.  Is the KayFun Lite good for say, a 12-15 watt 1.2 ohm build?  Is the limitation just with the tiny holes, or are there other issues?  I'm certainly not against drilling it out, LMAO...

(This post was last modified: 27-04-2015 01:05 AM by Almost Jaded.)
27-04-2015 01:04 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I had a couple problems with the Kayfun. First of all, flooding can be an issue. The damn thing looks like it wouldn't wick juice very fast, because it has just tiny little slits to allow the juice through, but it actually floods very easily. But the main problem is the stupid build deck with screws that are scientifically engineered to spit your wire back out instead of trap the wires like they're supposed to. Also after a few months of normal use, the insulator underneath the positive post melted so I had to make a makeshift insulator out of some ABS plastic. Not fun, and probably not entirely safe, but to me it wasn't worth it to buy a new one. 

If you replace the screws with something a little less rounded on the edges, a Kayfun might be worth building. Just don't let it get too hot, cuz the insulator is very close to the coil.
27-04-2015 01:17 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (04-27-2015)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Okay.  So this thing has the top piece, the tube/shroud thing - then the build deck that seems like it wants to remain on the base.  Then there are 2 screws in the base.  One for refilling?  NICE!  I like that.  The other one - is that to step off the deck for old non-sprung posts, or is it for "adjustable airflow"?  Is there any downside to just taking the damn thing out?  

Also - the plastic center piece won't come off the top part.  It is STUCK.  And there's a spare metal piece and a longer plastic piece?  I'm assuming the spare metal piece allows you to eliminate the window completely..?  

What is the longer plastic cylinder for?  The center tube is CLEARLY not long enough to use it??

Is the center tube/shroud supposed to have a seal on it at the bottom, or is there supposed to be a seal at the bottom of the deck base?  Looks like the threads themselves are the only thing to prevent juice from getting in from directions other than the channels.

Sorry so many questions.  The thing came complete with everything except any manual or papers, LOL!  

27-04-2015 01:38 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

The adjustable airflow is to the side of the air hole, there's a little grub screw with an allen head that adjusts the hole. The bottom of the Kayfun has a little phillips head screw for refilling, I'm not sure what other screw you're talking about unless you mean the one in the middle of the 510, which is just the post itself. 

Forgot to mention, there are a couple different versions of the Kayfun so yours might not be the same as mine. Do you know which version it is, or could you post a couple pics of it so we can figure that out?
27-04-2015 01:54 AM