Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
VG or Not PG that is the question
KingJohn Offline
On finer pastures

Likes Given: 29
VG or Not PG that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or would you recommend a 50 50 mix.

Well I read up on it vegetable glycerin  or propylene glycol, and as normal PG is the best on one site and VG on another.

I was using a 36mg (70% VG) nicotine in a e shisha clearmizer, within a week had dropped to 24Mg, but now cant use it at all in the Kanger, far too strong. The shop tells me at one stage not to use higher than 6Mg nicotine.

So right now have a cheap 12mg nicotine tobacco, it came with a vype pen I also bought. I had got use to the 24mg flavor, now have to start again.

I just made a 1.5 ohm coil in the RBA, to see how it performs against the Kanger 1.5 supplied. Immediately its crackling very bad, and have gone down from 15W to 11W

Im wondering if the liquid isnt so good for these box mods.. that is the one they supplied for the vype pen.

So do you see a lot of changes if you use a higher VG one?
09-02-2016 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes KingJohn's post:
vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 12,226
RE: VG or Not PG that is the question
The issue with higher VG liquid is that it is much thicker. The wicks in things like a Vype are tiny and can't shift the liquid into the coils fast enough except at very low power.

Basically, thicker liquid needs different wicking and often more of it.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
09-02-2016 02:58 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Almost Jaded (02-09-2016), vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,354
To sleep, perchance to dream, aye there's the rub, for in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil music give us pause... 

I like Hamlet Smile 

PG/VG ratio all depends on the tank and how you vape. I think I've got a thread about it in the FAQ section, but basically, if you're using a sub-ohm tank, you want low nicotine (6mg or less) and a little higher VG (around 60-70%VG). 
09-02-2016 05:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
KingJohn Offline
On finer pastures

Ok, but should my 70% VG cause the crackle? I have re done the wick with Japanese cotton, more of it, and dropped power a little, but still a bit of crackle, can no longer use it like a cigarette, now must do direct to lung, air fully open too

Oops another post, but if I go low nicotine wont I want to start using cigarettes again

P.S well the sub ohm tank is 0.3 to 16ohms so your saying a normal tank would work better while im using 1.5 ohms ? (subox mini, Kanger)
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 05:59 PM by KingJohn.)
09-02-2016 05:51 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
There are two "styles" of vaping.  "Mouth To Lung", or "MTL, and "Direct To Lung", or DL or "lung Hits".  Lower power vaping is conducive to MTL; you suck in with your tongue like a cigarette, and then gulp it down with fresh air.  Higher power vaping involved pulling straight in from your diaphragm like a hookah in order to supply adequate airflow across the coil.

At high Nic levels - above 6 mg - you're in MTL territory.  The nic levels are higher because you're inhaling less vapor.  At low power levels you're also generally using a very small coil with a very small wick - so you use thinner juice; 60/40 or even 50/50.  At higher power levels, you use less nicotine because you're inhaling much, much more vapor - try taking even one strong pull at 80 watts at even a 12 mg nictoine and you're in for a helluva buzz, lol.  High levels of PG at high power levels can cause an uncomfortable feeling in your throat, and can overheat in the coil - so you use a larger coil and a larger wick, with thicker juice - 70/30 or more - for lung vaping.

The crackling isn't a big deal, but if it's excessive, you might have under-wicked the coil a bit.  Air gaps betwen wick and coil will cause that.

Hope that helped.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
09-02-2016 06:15 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
ecignut (02-09-2016), Michael (02-09-2016), vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
KingJohn Offline
On finer pastures

Thanks, understood, I have bought some new liquid 11mg and 8 mg and a better flavor, waiting for it to come. A quick test using the 24Mg almost killed me, head spinning....

Meanwhile I switched back to the Kanger coil (Square shape) its also 1.5ohms and it works perfect again...

So dont know.. Ive not had any wire to play with so been using pr-made coils and straightening them out, some experimenting to get 1.5 ohms out of some 1.8 (pre made but too large.)

I just never thought about the amount of vapor giving a lot more nicotine.. darn Ill be broke at this rate, have to order more 6mg stuff now...

So whats up with this RBA and my coils, both 1.5 Ohms, same 15W, same liquid, and the original Kanger coil dont look like it has much cotton in it
09-02-2016 06:28 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
Michael Offline

AJ, nice job explaining the difference between MTL and DL. 

The crackle is just a normal part of vaping, it can be caused by air bubbles in the wick or it can also happen from a pocket of juice heating up and exploding, since basically you're boiling the juice to make it vaporize. But it's nothing to worry about. Pre-made coils sometimes don't do it as much as rebuilt coils just because they're made in factories and are 99% perfect, but even then they still do it sometimes, no big deal. 
09-02-2016 07:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
ecignut (02-09-2016), vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
KingJohn Offline
On finer pastures

So I want to make 99% perfect coils Smile

Ive bought that much stuff from China now I know I can do it Smile

Thanks, the original coil is working very well, no crackle at all, so Im now thinking about these different flavors, Ive always laughed at people using bubble gum, dead rat and what ever, but with 6Mg nicotine, perhaps I will need a flavor other than tobacco
09-02-2016 07:55 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like KingJohn's post:
Don (02-09-2016), gentlydoingit* (02-10-2016), Michael (02-09-2016), vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
KingJohn Offline
On finer pastures

Just watched a great youtube video on a larger 0.5 ohm XPnWGpLvhok already I spotted lots of mistakes I made, had the coil upside down, wick inside and more.

"How to Wick and Coil New RBA Subtank Mini for beginners" hes using the Kanger RBA that I have, so look foward to getting some 24AWG as well now

So might have been a bad build not the liquid
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 08:15 PM by KingJohn.)
09-02-2016 08:14 PM
vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)
Michael Offline

I must say, I've never been a fan of tobacco juices at higher power settings. For my taste, tobacco works best in a high resistance flavor tank like the Nautilus or Protank, at 15W or less. Higher than that, it just starts to taste weird and not like tobacco. 
If you're thinking about trying other flavors, I'd definitely recommend you do. I personally prefer dessert flavors, things like custard, pie, coffee, etc. Some folks prefer fruity flavors too. Fruit flavors with menthol can be a very good mix too. Half the fun of vaping is in finding juice flavors that work for you. Many folks start out with tobacco flavors to try to replicate smoke, but after a while most people find that there's no need to replicate smoke since a vape will never taste exactly like a cigarette, and trying other flavors can really open up a new world of vaping for you. 
Of course, if you like tobacco flavors and want to keep using them, that's great. But I do recommend at least trying some others to see if you like them better. 
09-02-2016 08:34 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
vapejuiceuk (05-20-2016)