Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unusual request
Davidpsr Offline

Likes Given: 1
Unusual request
Hey guys,

This will be an awkward request on wiring, and I'm not sure where else to ask it. I know a lot of vaper's are very knowledgable in building systems and electronics, so I hope someone here can help. First, I would like to ensure you that this is not going to be for vaping or human use lol. This is solely an experiment using a standard Arctic tank with .5ohm dual coil setup. 

This is what I need to accomplish. I need to wire this up to run off of one or two 18650 batteries with a rotational potentiometer to adjust wattage from 20-40 watts +/- . There will be no push buttons and no on/off switch except for a separately controlled on/off switch wired to another device. When the separate device is on, this system needs to be continuously on with only the potentiometer controlling its output to the coil in the tank. Can I simply wire a standard 200ohm vape mod pot, or some other pot in line and nothing else? Or do I need an in line resistor somewhere? 

Thanks guys!
25-09-2016 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,480
RE: Unusual request
Hey david, welome

There's no 7-9a pot that I know of, most top out at 25w or around 6a. You could try a pwm controller and a 1k pot, I'm sure they're good for 10a 

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
25-09-2016 08:45 PM
Davidpsr Offline

Likes Given: 1
Thanks!

So this diagram in this video should work? https://youtu.be/YmPziPfaByw
I'm pretty useless when it comes to electronics, so I understand the basics but not why there are so many resistors or diodes in the schematic he shows. But it sounds like this setup is what I'm looking for to me unless someone says otherwise.
25-09-2016 09:35 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,480
In theory yeah, youll need a heavier duty mosfet to run a .5 coil from a 4.2v source though, anything that can comfortably run 10a without heatsink and has a ~5V gate will work. Not being entirely sure what your making its hard to say exactly but have a look here, I'm sure there's somthing you can use, they also have some simple wiring diagrams that may help you chose components Smile

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
25-09-2016 10:13 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Davidpsr (09-26-2016)