Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Two pods and a starter kit - Part 1
Don Online
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 13,720
Two pods and a starter kit - Part 1
All three of these devices are aimed at the beginner/easy to use market. Two, the Smoant Pasito and the Bohr Flask are marketed as pods, the Vapefly Galaxies MTL Starter Kit as (believe it or not) a starter kit.
Front View Bohr Flask pod on the left, Smaont Pasito in the middle and the Vapefly Galaxies Starter Kit on the right.
[Image: 48363485026_3045a05f80_b.jpg]

Side View - same order of mods.
[Image: 48363456326_f82e332df0_b.jpg]

All three use prebuilt, disposable coils though the Pasito has an RBA option which I have exercised. These are all tiny devices, the Bohr being the smallest and lightest and is in power provided the most flexible of the three. It is variable in 0.1W increments from around 9-20W. The Vapefly starter kit has two options plus passthrough, the Pasito has 5 options from 11-25W.

However, for airflow the Bohr is the worst of the three with no adjustability of airflow and a tight draw with the MTL coil. At some point I'll try the DTL coil to see if it also is like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose. The Pasito as its most restricted is much airier than the Bohr. The Vapefly starter kit has the best range of airflow options though it isn't as airy wide open as the Pasito is. You can drastically reduce the airflow on the Pasito by putting your thumb over the airflow slot. I've done this accidentally quite a few times, and deliberately quite a few more.

Battery capacity is a wash, the Vapfly claims 1400mAh, the Pasito 1250 and the Bohr 1150. All are entirely adequate for a day's MTL use. If these were being used DTL, you'd need more than one to get through the day at the Smoant's peak of 25W and the Bohr's at 20W.

Juice capacity, the Pasito is 3ml the others are 2ml. But with low-power MTL devices that's a day's worth anyway so this really isn't an issue. Weight is no big deal either, all three of them together fit in a jacket pocket - that is how they got to my desk today...

The Bohr is the smallest and lightest, and arguably the most ergonomic.
[Image: 48363438861_39126d414c_b.jpg]

The Galaxies is next with a very familiar shape and size. I actually find this easier to hold and use while steering a car though this my be just because it is a form factor I've very familiar with.
[Image: 48363585222_a146491dd3_b.jpg]

The heaviest is the Smoant Pasito which slightly surprised me. Not that it is even slightly heavy, my phones weigh 300 and 261g in their cases.
[Image: 48363470561_2843502fdd_b.jpg] So the "enormous" 90g that the Pasito weighs with a full load of juice really isn't an issue.

All three of them are well capable of stealth vaping. Don't ask me how I know that Wink

Ergonomics are a large part familiarity so the Vapefly starter kit scores highly here. I'm still trying to decide whether I prefer it or the Bohr. The Pasito comes a distant last on this, it is a square shape and the button placement could be better. I tend to fire the Bohr and the Vapefly with my thumb, the Smoant with my middle finger.

There is a lot more to play around with and think about. None of these are in any way bad. All three are easy to fill, the Smoant and Vapefly from the top and the Bohr from a rubber bung on the bottom of the pod. None of them are hard to fill. There's more to think about and say and I will write more once I've had a think and play.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
24-07-2019 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (07-27-2019), mike.williams (07-24-2019), Robjenko (07-24-2019), TinWhisker (07-24-2019)
Don Online
Senior Staff

RE: Two pods and a starter kit - Part 1
Thinking about it, the only one of these I am likely to continue to use is the Pasito.

All other considerations aside, it is rebuildable so I can put a new coil in it with about 6cm of 0.25mm/30ga Kanthal and a scrap of cotton. All the others require the purchase of coils. The coils for the Pasito aren't cheap (A big chunk of this is postage but at least I can get the coils from the UK), but I've not investigated the prices of coils for the others. Which I will do.

I'm too cheap to buy disposable coils Smile

25-07-2019 07:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
TinWhisker (07-25-2019)
Don Online
Senior Staff

Having checked the usual suspects, the coils for the Galaxies starter kit are reasonable at $7.41 for a five pack.

The Pasito MTL coils are $4.79 each, the DTL ones $4.8. the RBA had however is only $4.77. IMO that makes the coils impractical as they are too expensive. You can get a 5 pack of RBA heads for $22. If the replacement pods are cheap this might be a good plan so you could have a bunch of pods (They don't appear to leak) to hand with different flavours. The pods are about $8 each shipped. Since the pod+coil is essentially an atomiser, these prices aren't too bad.

The Bohr Flask pod appears to be too new, I can't find coils for it at any of the usual suspects. Which does rather limit its usefulness. Some places are saying the mods will ship in August-September. Well, the coils I got with it might just last that long... If the coils are in the $1-2 range each this wouldn't be to terrible, more than that, well it wouldn't be for me.

25-07-2019 08:27 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
TinWhisker (07-25-2019)
Don Online
Senior Staff

The way I'm leaning at the moment, I really want to like the Bohr Flask Pod more. But the MTL airflow is far too tight for me. One nice thing about it is that when you install the pod, it automatically sets an appropriate wattage though you can change it to what works best for you in the range of 1W (really?) to 20W. At 1W it is completely cloud free though there is some taste. Time to try the DTL coil. With the 0.4 ohm "DTL" coil it is far, far airier and it starts at 12W which is actually a rather hot vape. Knocking it back to 9W it is a far, far better vape than the MTL coil at any wattage I've tried it at. It can do a restricted DTL at 4W! 8W using it MTL is a massive improvement.

This coil has dramatically changed my outlook on this device. It has improved beyond all recognition. Flavour is still good though there is very little flavour below 5W. It is now down to how much the replacement coils are going to cost. I'd really like to see the 1.2 ohm coil with the airflow of the 0.4 ohm DTL coil. Or an 0.8 ohm coil again with way more air than the 1.2 ohm option. The Bohr is now a contender.

I wouldn't say it actually is a feasible DTL device but at 7.4W MTL (Which sounds crazy for an 0.4 ohm coil but it works well for me) I'm getting acceptable cloudage and good flavour. The vape becomes too hot for my taste above 9-10W. Oddly it needs far fewer watts than the MTL coil. I wonder if the MTL coil I was using (I've dumped it in a pot of PG for the time being) was faulty.

By the end of a 2 second MTL draw, the vape is getting a bit too hot for my liking.

Bohr need to pay more attention to their coils, an 0.8-1.2 ohm coil with the airflow of the 0.4 ohm coils would be great.

I've gone from not recommending this to seriously considering it. It really does depend on what the replacement coils cost and their quality. I'm going to use it exclusively for a few days and see how I get on with it.

Things are definitely looking up though.

Don't chain vape it, a 2ml pod isn't enough coolant and the vape gets far too hot for me.

25-07-2019 08:23 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (07-27-2019), TinWhisker (07-25-2019)
Don Online
Senior Staff

Bohr coils aren't too expensive at $12.99 for 5. I'll need to get some to see if the 1.2 ohm coil that I got with it was faulty or not.

The draw on it was impossibly tight.

14-08-2019 09:21 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (08-14-2019), TinWhisker (08-14-2019)