Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tragedy
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Tragedy
New York toddler dies after ingesting liquid nicotine

A quick summary of the above article: "A vaper had his juice in a non-childproof bottle, and apparently not in a secure place. His child found the bottle and drank it, and subsequently died of nicotine poisoning." 

Please, for the love of God, keep your juice in childproof bottles and out of reach of children or pets. This is claimed to be the first reported death attributed to ecigs, and I hope it's also the last. Nicotine is a poison in high doses, and should be handled with care. This is a tragic accident, but one that could have easily been prevented if the seller and/or vaper had put the juice in a proper bottle and kept it in a safe place where the child could not get it. 

I can't stress this enough, if you have any children in your life, whether it's your own kids, your nieces and nephews, or just neighbor kids who come to visit, put your eJuice up high on a shelf or in a locked box. There's a reason these things are not intended for use by people under 18. Preventable accidents like this should never happen. 

I don't want to make light of the sad story above, but I feel like I should also point out that this could have a huge impact on the vaping industry as a whole. The media has already begun to twist the story against vaping, by claiming that the flavorings in eLiquid cause them to be attractive to children. This appeal to reader's emotions could easily cause repercussions in the political realm, as voters gain a more negative view of ecigs in general thanks to accidents like this. 

Please don't think I'm trying to turn this tragedy into a political rant, I just thought that needed to be said.
09-01-2015 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (01-09-2015), TinWhisker (05-27-2017)
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,932
RE: Tragedy
This has been a much sensationalised issue here. AFAIK all the deaths have been of pets. But nothing remotely close to the number of deaths caused by household cleaners and medications every year.

Keep dangerous stuff away from kids and pets and make sure you have somewhere safe to put them.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
09-01-2015 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
BOB (01-09-2015), Michael (01-09-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Unfortunately, this story will likely become sensationalized (if it hasn't already: I only read the one article) since it's on such a "hot topic" issue. Nobody even thinks about banning cleaning products or medications if a child dies from them, but ecigs are a much more debated issue and it's disconcerting to think that things like this could be used as propaganda for the sheeple who are easily swayed by emotional arguments without thinking logically.
09-01-2015 08:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Almost Jaded (05-04-2015)
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
Also look up how many children were killed or poisoned last year by eating the laundry detergent tablets, you know the ones that look like candy inside a plastic cover?
09-01-2015 05:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Whiskey's post:
Almost Jaded (05-04-2015)
Cloudwalker Offline

Likes Given: 3
I was unaware e-liquid was so dangerous until some recent research into DIY e-liquid; I think e-liquid merchants should inform buyers of the danger. I figured it would make you sick perhaps but had no idea it could kill a child, I was not well-informed. I will be locking my juice up!
04-05-2015 08:06 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
It depends on the liquid in question.  If I recall correctly, didn't it come out in this case that the child had ingested the pure nicotine additive and not the actual "ejuice"?

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
04-05-2015 08:33 PM
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,932
Anyone who will sell you pure nicotine without asking a lot of questions should be locked up. The limit for use without a poisons licence in the UK is 75mg/ml, I believe it is 100mg/ml in the US.

Pure nicotine is dangerous. 100mg/ml is about as dangerous as washing up liquid unless you drink the stuff - you'd have to drink 20ml plus to kill yourself though.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
04-05-2015 08:53 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Michael (05-04-2015)