Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Today I learned...
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,945
RE: Today I learned...
I am not left handed but sometimes when I am fitting coils I wonder whether I am right handed either[Image: smile.gif].
03-04-2016 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like ecignut's post:
BOB (04-03-2016), Don (04-03-2016), Eggza (07-29-2016), gentlydoingit* (04-03-2016), Michael (04-03-2016)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,719
My mum and sister are left handed. It is the oddest thing to see! I once spent some time trying to make myself ambidextrous; figured I could then become a pitcher and be a star. I got to where I could throw a ball and not look like a girl, and could write in cursive and look almost polished. However, I stopped when life got in the way, and now the progress is all but gone. The thing about the pitcher was- I forgot that along with being able to pitch from both sides, talent is also required. That is one thing I could never quite acquire. It's a shame you need to have accuracy and velocity to be a pro ballplayer.
03-04-2016 01:10 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (04-03-2016), Michael (04-03-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I learned this before today, but it deserves sharing. Did you know that left-handed people are more likely to die in random accidents than right-handed people? I can't recall the exact numbers but a few thousand more lefties die each year than righties, and the reason is that we live in a right-handed world. There are so many things tailored for right-handed people, that lefties end up actually dying because of it. 

Me personally, I'm a lefty but I do a few things right-handed. I play guitar right-handed, that was a logistical decision since there are very few lefty guitars so I wanted to be able to play any guitar, if I got a lefty one I'd never be able to borrow a friend's around the campfire or whatever. It's funny, there are a disproportionate amount of lefty guitar players, since lefties are generally speaking rather creative people, but fewer lefty guitars because we all know it's easier to learn playing right-handed. 
03-04-2016 05:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Today I learned that there's a good reason why some murderers are sentenced to multiple consecutive life sentences. I had always wondered, why/how could there be such thing as more than one life sentence? 

Turns out, a convicted felon serving a life sentence can get parole after 25 years on good behavior. So the consecutive life sentences actually serve a practical purpose by keeping the very very bad people from ever getting parole, because the sentences are consecutive so even if they have good behavior and can get parole after 25 years, the second life sentence kicks in and adds another 25 years before they have that option. Also, it can be useful in case one of the sentences gets overturned in appeal, since hopefully the other one would stick. 

Wow, that sounds really confusing when I actually say it. Here's a Wikipedia article if what I said doesn't make sense. I find it absolutely fascinating. 
29-07-2016 06:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Fatboy (07-29-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,320
I went to school with a lad who was always a wrong un.. during the last year of senior school he and his friends had an argument with a guy, he ended up horrifically killing him with a curb stone. The prison system has done its best to keep him in, he is regulary in trouble in there, adding time to his sentence. During hearings he maintains he killed the guy because he deserved it, trouble is they're running out of reasons to hold him.. He'll be out soon. 
I feel sick thinking about it! When I knew him he was a sadistic bastard, can't imagine what a stretch in prison has evolved him into, and that he'll be on the streets soon enough. 

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
29-07-2016 09:03 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
BOB (07-29-2016), Eggza (07-29-2016), Michael (07-29-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,596
Not something I learned as much as something I have come to accept - I'M OLD!

I have been looking around as I need to replace my refrigerator....this morning I'm walking through a large retailer and I am checking out different models, styles, sizes, etc... have to decide on whether I want one with an ice maker, one with filtered water dispenser, programmable, etc....then I look at the back of it and it has internet coaxial cable at the back....

WTF ---- what has happened to the good ol' days where my only decision had to be the fridge width, maybe height, sf capacity and colour.....and wasn't going to cost me more than my first 5 automobiles combined!

Okay I'll stop the rant - feeling better but I know the pain will return as soon as I head back to the store and select one.... Sad
29-07-2016 04:06 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
BOB (07-29-2016)
Eggza Offline

Likes Given: 1,117
(29-07-2016 04:06 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  I look at the back of it and it has internet coaxial cable at the back....
There do exist "smart" refrigerators, but AFAIK all of them are WI-FI only. I wonder if what you saw was, in fact, the nut that houses the water hose for the dispensers? BTW, if you get one with a water connection, do be sure it is designed for changing filters without shutting the water off. It never crossed my mind while shopping, but it's an important convenience.
29-07-2016 04:37 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I want one of those refrigerators with cameras inside. That would make shopping so much easier. 

Of course, if I had one it'd make shopping super easy, since I just wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything Tongue
29-07-2016 04:40 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Don (07-29-2016), Fatboy (07-29-2016)
Eggza Offline

Likes Given: 1,117
(29-07-2016 04:40 PM)Michael Wrote:  I want one of those refrigerators with cameras inside. That would make shopping so much easier. 

Of course, if I had one it'd make shopping super easy, since I just wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything Tongue

I don't. For some reason, everybody that makes software believes it is their vested right to collect data and periodically phone home. LG, the preeminent "smart" refrigerator manufacturer, has been busted in the past for collecting and reporting the viewing habits of smart TV owners. I have almost no doubt that their "smart" refrigerators report back to LG re: how often you open your 'fridge, at what times you open it, uploading photos, and all manner of things that have absolutely no bearing on the proper operation of the device. I am not saying it is necessarily harmful, but there's no way to opt out and they don't exactly share the profit your data generates. Technological advances have, sadly, outpaced ethics and regulation.
29-07-2016 04:52 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Eggza's post:
Fatboy (07-29-2016), Michael (07-29-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,596
(29-07-2016 04:37 PM)Eggza Wrote:  
(29-07-2016 04:06 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  I look at the back of it and it has internet coaxial cable at the back....
There do exist "smart" refrigerators, but AFAIK all of them are WI-FI only. I wonder if what you saw was, in fact, the nut that houses the water hose for the dispensers? BTW, if you get one with a water connection, do be sure it is designed for changing filters without shutting the water off. It never crossed my mind while shopping, but it's an important convenience.

Egg, I said I was OLD, not ancient and senile! Smile When I return to the store I will snap a pic of it... Smile

I agree that I don't want any more of my personal data being shared than I have to....as is my smart phone, my digital camera, my vehicle, all transmitting data to big brother....they even have mods that are blue tooth.... Sad
29-07-2016 05:07 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
Michael (07-29-2016)