Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To Drip or Not To Drip
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 16,681
To Drip or Not To Drip
That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...

Alright, that's enough of Hamlet. On to the topic at hand: why drip? 

When I first started vaping, I saw friends dripping and thought to myself "wow, what a pain. Why the hell would anyone do that?" 

The answer to that question is rather complex, but as I've recently become infatuated with dripping, I figured it was time to attempt an answer as best I can.

When using a tank, there's not a lot of work to be done. You fill it up, you screw on the lid, and you vape to your heart's content until all the juice is gone, and then you repeat the process. With dripping, you have to constantly maintain the atty, making sure that the wick is wet enough not to dry hit, while not getting so saturated as to start leaking or gurgling. 

However, from my experience, dripping is definitely worth the trouble, and I now almost exclusively drip when I can. Of course, it's hard to drip while driving, and I definitely do not recommend it, but when I'm not driving I'm definitely dripping. There are several reasons for this: my drip atties are better than my tanks, dripping gives me better flavor and cloud production, and it's also just kind of fun. 

Dripping atomizers have a potential to be better than tanks at a cheaper price. The reason for this is because it's easier and cheaper for manufacturers to make high quality RDAs, since they don't have to worry about a glass or pyrex or plastic tank to hold the liquid, and there's no worries about airflow or flooding. An RDA is nearly impossible to flood, because any extra juice that might get on the coils either drips off into the small reservoir under the wick or is vaporized very quickly. It's also easier to have a dual coil or even bigger build on a drip, since there isn't as much worry about the space inside the atty. In tank atomizers, the coils and wicks must be smaller and restricted, since they have to fit in just one small portion of the overall size of the atomizer. With an RDA, the only space constraint is to make sure the coils don't touch the walls or the base. 

The size of the coils and the overall space inside the atty contributes to the flavor and vape production as well. Since you have a lot of room to work with, you can make the coils however you like to accommodate your own tastes for cloud size and flavor. In contrast, imagine the coils inside a Kanger Protank. One little tube, with a tiny coil stuffed inside and a tiny wick running down the middle. The juice has to work hard to get inside that coil, and even in a rebuildable like the Kayfun, it is much more difficult to get the airflow, coil size, and wicking just right to be perfect all the time with all the juice in the tank. RDAs, on the other hand, can be dripped all over with juice, and all that extra juice that would normally flood a tank actually makes the RDA work better, since it vaporizes easily and maintains its flavor rather than burning. 

Dripping can be a zen-like experience as well. It's almost like knitting, in the sense that once you get the hang of it, it becomes like a second nature and is very easy to do. You learn to tell when the wick is getting dry merely by the sound it makes or the heat produced, and you can find a sense of relaxation and meditation by repeating the task of something that you know how to do well. There have been tons of awesome studies about a thing called "the flow," in which your mind becomes so engrossed in doing a particular repetitive task that you are able to perform the task perfectly over and over again while not even thinking about it. Imagine when you are driving a car on a long trip. Eventually, you will reach your destination, and often you don't even know how you got there. Driving has become a "flow state" in which your body performs the actions while your brain is free to daydream and meditate.

So is dripping right for you? Only you can answer that question. I personally find it immensely rewarding, as the flavor and vapor production is much better than using a tank and it gives my hands something to do while my mind wanders elsewhere. 

But please, do not drip and drive. Once you start dripping, it's tempting to do it everywhere, but I'd much rather you keep at least one hand on the wheel at all times and live to tell me about your vaping experiences.
23-09-2014 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Michael's post:
CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-19-2015), ecignut (09-21-2017), Fatboy (12-26-2016), gords1001 (09-23-2014), JEFF (09-09-2015), Spasmod (09-23-2014)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 9,109
RE: To Drip or Not To Drip
This post was before I joined. The 'interaction' with the vape makes it much more satisfying and judging when to drip is an art form - the same as when to squeeze the bottle when squonking. The flavour is the best you will get from any form of vaping - the whole experience is theraputic.
21-09-2017 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like ecignut's post:
Fatboy (09-21-2017), Michael (09-21-2017), TinWhisker (09-21-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 8,809
It is an art form, and does make for much more interactive vaping. And that can lead to enhanced enjoyment. But it can also lead to extra work not everyone wants to do!

I'm a huge fan of dripping and will always be. Not only is it enhanced interaction with the hobby, but it's also a throwback to the earliest days of vaping. No doubt the very best flavor experiences I have had were when dripping, but my compelling laziness is happy with a tank bearing atomizer. I rarely have time to sit and simply focus only on vaping, so I really can't drip exclusively. Especially when driving!
21-09-2017 03:26 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (09-21-2017), Fatboy (09-21-2017), Michael (09-21-2017)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 9,109
Hi TW - it does have its drawbacks - it is no good for driving as you say - nor is it easy to carry when out and about - it always has to be upright for a start. The answer of course is squonking - plenty of juice available and much easier to carry.
21-09-2017 03:51 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ecignut's post:
Fatboy (09-21-2017), Michael (09-21-2017)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,029
Other than when driving or walking the dogs, I only use RDAs these days......minimal 2 different RDAs and usually with different builds....one usually with a low Ω and one in the 0.3Ω-06Ω range....although I also carry a travel build kit I try and not have to rewick or anything during the work day but never want to be without at least one good set-up in my hand or pocket.... Tongue
21-09-2017 08:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
Michael (09-22-2017)