Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thinking of making my own 100vg juice! Pointers?
MikeB624 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Thinking of making my own 100vg juice! Pointers?
Hey guys! So i've come up with a bunch of flavors and recipes I want to try to make. I want to make 100vg juice for those monster clouds. I've read a lot on this over the past few weeks and people are talking about thinning out vg with distilled water. I've read that that adding distilled water can make vg seem more "wet" and "dense." Does anyone have any experience with this? I've vaped 100vg and it seems fine to me but a lot of people are saying it can give them dry mouth. Any pointers will be awesome to hear! 
06-04-2015 05:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Thinking of making my own 100vg juice! Pointers?
It's nearly impossible to make a 100% VG juice, and it wouldn't be enjoyable anyway. VG by itself doesn't carry flavor very well at all, that's what the PG is for. So you're much better off making 90% VG juice instead. That way you can still get those huge clouds but you'll also still be able to taste the flavor. 100% VG juice doesn't exist, unless you're vaping straight VG by itself, since having flavor or nicotine makes it by definition less than 100% VG. The juices that claim to be 100% VG all have something else added to thin them and carry the flavor. Some use grain alcohol, distilled water or PG. A 90/10 VG/PG mix will make just as big of clouds as 100% straight VG would, and it will be much more enjoyable since you can actually taste the flavor. That tiny bit of PG won't affect the clouds at all, but it'll make all the difference for flavor, and it will do better than alcohol or water. Contrary to what many people think, PG by itself does produce some vapor, just not as much as VG, whereas water or alcohol won't produce any visible vapor at all, so you're better off using PG to thin your juice. 
06-04-2015 02:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
R3llik (04-07-2015)
MikeB624 Offline

Whoa...all this time I thought 100% meant 100% besides flavoring. Thanks for clearing that up for me man!
06-04-2015 11:33 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Most of the places claiming to be 100% do indeed mean it that way, but it's a technicality that really bugs me lol. I know of one company that calls their juice 100% VG, when in actuality it's more like 70% VG and the rest is flavoring and water. I don't know about you, but I don't want to vape 30% water if I'm chasing clouds, since that 30% isn't going to produce visible vapor. If you want super high VG juice that's pre-made, you have to go with a company that tells you the exact ratio, otherwise you really can't trust them. Example, one of my local shops has a house juice line that is 98% VG, which is so insanely thick that it can give you dry hits even when your RDA is soaked because it can't wick to the coils fast enough. But it has hardly any flavor, and the clouds aren't noticeably different than an 80-90% VG juice on the same build. 

So yeah, I mean it's up to you if you want to make it as super thick VG as possible, but I personally wouldn't advise it, since from my experience it just isn't worth the hassle and the loss of flavor. I want at least a little bit of PG in it so I can taste the flavors. 
06-04-2015 11:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,378
You can get some flavours in VG - I know of one guy who vapes up to 54mg nic with straight VG and a few drops of sweetener. Sounds foul to me though.

VG doesn't carry flavour all that well so you do need to increase the flavour percentages a lot. I usually mix to 80% VG and 20% flavour.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
07-04-2015 06:49 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
JohnnyMac (04-11-2015), Michael (04-07-2015)
Nihilum Offline

@Don...the guy is vaping a 54mg mix or using a 54mg base?  I use 100mg nic 50VG/50PG base liquid when I mix.  I vape at 6mg.

When I mix, I generally mix 80/20 or 90/10.  There is no point in 100% VG anyway...the clouds are just as thick as "max VG".
11-04-2015 05:47 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Nihilum's post:
JohnnyMac (04-11-2015), Michael (04-11-2015)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Same here, guys. When I make my own juice it's usually 80/20 or 85/15 mix of VG/flavoring (PG based).

It's absolutely not true that VG doesn't carry flavor. It carries flavor just fine, just not as well as PG will. Flavor concentrates use PG because they can pack more flavor in less liquid. It makes for better packaging and has less effect on recipe ratios.

I've made 100% VG juice in the past with fantastic flavor so it does indeed exist. Used in a dripper it's just fine but in an RTA or clearo it's unusable due to it's thickness. If you want to try some damned tasty 100% VG juice just steep your favorite pipe or cigar tobacco in some heated VG. Once filtered out it has amazing flavor but can only be used in a dripper. Wink

Another 100% VG DIY juice you can try is adding pumpkin spices to some heated VG. Keep it hot and shake it regularly to speed the steeping process to an hour or two. let is sit overnight for the spices to settle to the bottom. Carefully pour the juice into a second bottle leaving the spice at the bottom. Let this transferred bottle sit again for a day or two to settle more particulates out then repeat the transfer into another clean bottle. Repeat if needed and enjoy. DAMNED tasty!
11-04-2015 06:03 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
Michael (04-11-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Hmm, perhaps the juices I've tried just didn't have enough flavor in them then, cuz I always thought that max VG just didn't carry flavor much at all. That's one thing I love about this forum, I learn something new every day! Smile

That NET sounds awesome, I'm really gonna have to try that one of these days. Am I correct in assuming that the VG you can buy at a pharmacy is good enough to use, or should I buy it from a seller specific to ecig DIY products? And do you know if the steeped juice will have nicotine or not?

Sorry to slightly derail this thread btw, we'll get back on topic right away Hi
11-04-2015 06:12 AM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
(11-04-2015 06:12 AM)Michael Wrote:  Hmm, perhaps the juices I've tried just didn't have enough flavor in them then, cuz I always thought that max VG just didn't carry flavor much at all. That's one thing I love about this forum, I learn something new every day! Smile

That NET sounds awesome, I'm really gonna have to try that one of these days. Am I correct in assuming that the VG you can buy at a pharmacy is good enough to use, or should I buy it from a seller specific to ecig DIY products? And do you know if the steeped juice will have nicotine or not?

Sorry to slightly derail this thread btw, we'll get back on topic right away Hi
Not derailing it at all. We're talking about 100% VG juices here. Big Grin

VG bought at your local drugstore or even at Walmart is pure, pharmaceutical grade so it's perfectly fine to vape. It's what I use all the time.

The key to getting VG to absorb flavor and steep properly is to heat it during the steeping process. I usually boil water in a coffee cup in the microwave then let the bottle sit in the 200 degree water. When VG is heated it gets thin as water and what would normally take days or weeks to steep can be done in as little as 15 minutes. Heated VG absorbs flavor rapidly compared to letting a bottle steep at room temperature for weeks. It's a simple yet surprisingly little known trick.
11-04-2015 06:22 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
BOB (04-18-2015), Michael (04-11-2015)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,807
(11-04-2015 06:22 AM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  The key to getting VG to absorb flavor and steep properly is to heat it during the steeping process. I usually boil water in a coffee cup in the microwave then let the bottle sit in the 200 degree water. When VG is heated it gets thin as water and what would normally take days or weeks to steep can be done in as little as 15 minutes. Heated VG absorbs flavor rapidly compared to letting a bottle steep at room temperature for weeks. It's a simple yet surprisingly little known trick.

Has anyone tried this? Does it really work? Cool if it does...
26-09-2016 03:56 PM