Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
They really don't get it
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
RE: They really don't get it
I have almost shaved down my mod using to just the Istick and 30W Shark, charging them with the USB, with the quickness of charge time they are not plugged in long and most times right here by the computer where I can monitor when they are charged and ready to unplug. I have all but eliminated those types of batteries and chargers, for me , safety is top prority.
25-11-2014 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
I'll just state that I'm a "Do as I say, not as I do" kinda guy. I've only had one cell develop a fault when charging and that was a cheapo Ultrafire 18350. Fortunately I was there to notice it getting hot at the time.

There are signs when a cell is going bad and the most obvious one is internal resistance. Fortunately my most used and preferred charger tells me the internal resistance of each cell and I discard those cells that are questionable. I had an eFest POS 18650 that developed an internal short and as soon as it was used it would overheat immediately. One charger showed at full charge at 3.8v but when I received my Imalent charger I tried it in there it refused to charge the cell at all and gave an error when inserted. Resistance on it was through the roof, too.

I use only quality cells now and have always preferred unprotected ICR Li-Ion cells and have been replacing them slowly with IMR cells for even more safety. There is always best practice that should be taught and emphasized, especially to folks new to Li-Ion chemistry. That said, I try to charge my cells in the evening so they are finished before I go to bed but I've been known to pop them int he charger and go to bed. When I do that I put the charger in a ceramic bowl in case something untoward does happen. Mind you, I'm not the fear mongering type and have been using unprotected cells for years when people were screaming how important it was to use protected cells. I also ride my Harley without a helmet in good weather, often work with a grinder while not wearing safety glasses, and hate wearing condoms (fortunately for me I'm monogamous). Like I said..."Do as I say, not as I do".

When cells go bad it is 99.9% caused by one of the following and/or a combination of the two: Cheap-ass Chinese cells (Ultrafire cells, Trustfire clones, or "God only knows what it is" brand) and/or cheap ass Chinese chargers. If you use well known quality cells in well known quality chargers you are likely to never experience an issue with either. ALWAYS DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING!

As Don once said: "But as I said long ago, you are more likely to be killed by a dead fish dropped by a seagull in the Sahara Desert than by a lithium ion cell going bad."
25-11-2014 12:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
Spasmod (11-25-2014), TinWhisker (01-14-2016), Whiskey (11-25-2014)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
But just for the record, Don also once said:

"It sounds like the XM LEDs won't really be suitable for flashlight use."

Sarcastic_blumLolTongue
25-11-2014 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
Don (11-25-2014), Spasmod (11-25-2014), TinWhisker (01-14-2016)
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 12,199
Big Grin Tongue Rofl

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
25-11-2014 01:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
JohnnyMac (11-25-2014), Spasmod (11-25-2014)