Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Kanger Protank
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,587
The Kanger Protank
I've had the Kanger Protank (Original) for just over a week now so I thought I'd share my experience so far...

The first thing I noticed was what a great Vape it gave, but that soon tunred into frustration as the unit kept flooding. My answer to that (since I'm using relatively thin Liqua e-Juice) was to 'Add' an extra wick.

For a while that worked great but gradually over the next two days, the Vape was very weak and harsh! so out came the original added wick and the Vape was great yet again.. Loads of smoke and great flavour!

Yesterday I began to find the same weak, harshe Vape coming through so I proceeded to remove yet more wick and have a great Vape once again.. The problem seems to be finding a balance between a good Vape and no flooded mouth tube.

As it is now it's Vaping great yet again but with the inevitable floods almost like clockwork. I've heard about some people using mesh instead of a wick... Has anyone tried that ? and how well did it work if you did ?

I'd like to continue using the Kanger but at the rate of e-Juice I'm going through with flooding, I'm beginning to lose faith in the Kanger completely. Maybe they are really only suited for the thicker, Higher VG based American juices ?

Well that's where I'm at and I haven't managed to find the right balance yet so someone give me the answer please! before I give up with it Big Grin

Spas
28-08-2013 10:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ChimpOnABike Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: The Kanger Protank
I've got two of the original protanks and have only had flooding issues on two occasions in 3 months of use. I tend to use home made 50/50 juice and don't bother taking out the flavour wicks as the flooding only happened when I did. If you're using the FT heads you might have more issues, the genuine Kanger ones do seem better. Sometimes the flavour wicks can dislodge, this blocks the airflow which might explain why removing them improved things. One to try is removing both the flavour wicks and replacing with a small piece of 2mm EcoWool.  This combo seems to work well with the 70/30 juices.

If you've not already I really do recommend trying building your own wicks for them. Loads of good vids out there to guide you through the process.
30-09-2013 10:12 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
I have wire and wick on order so I can roll my own. Looking forward to it, too! Smile
01-10-2013 12:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
madecov Offline

Likes Given: 2
I have a few of the Protanks but have not used them yet.
Hopefully they won't flood. I also will use genuine Protank coils.
Is yours a 2013 model? they have a sticker on the box indicating it is an improved version with the bugs worked out.

[Image: 1379125800_10_1_USD_5_dark.png]
01-10-2013 03:06 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(30-09-2013 10:12 PM)ChimpOnABike Wrote:  I've got two of the original protanks and have only had flooding issues on two occasions in 3 months of use. I tend to use home made 50/50 juice and don't bother taking out the flavour wicks as the flooding only happened when I did. If you're using the FT heads you might have more issues, the genuine Kanger ones do seem better. Sometimes the flavour wicks can dislodge, this blocks the airflow which might explain why removing them improved things. One to try is removing both the flavour wicks and replacing with a small piece of 2mm EcoWool.  This combo seems to work well with the 70/30 juices.

If you've not already I really do recommend trying building your own wicks for them. Loads of good vids out there to guide you through the process.

Some good advice thanks. I actually gave the Protank away to a friend of mine who eventually turned it into a hybrid dripper/carto with a removable section inside to convert between the two.

The problem aside from the flooding (which we eventually managed to cure) was the metallic taste brought on by the centre tube. The centre tube has now been removed so the metallic taste is gone and it gives an incredible smooth vape.

I'll try to get some images of the modded protank Smile
01-10-2013 03:09 PM
revjombo Offline

Likes Given: 0
Not an expert but this works great for me. I have never used a Kanger Pro but I have 20 mini pros so same deal. Bigger tanks tend to flood at abt 1/3 full it is air pressure in the tanks pushes the juice thru that is why I use mini pros. Plus my juice tastes better not setting in a tank too long. This is just me to each his/her own.

A have tried every build I can dream up (I think) and the best for me is nr-r-nr and I use nichrome because FT has it cheap I am a 2.2 ohm user. Wrapped on a 1/16 drill bit tight and spaced just slightly, if I space tight it tends to burn. Then twist in a chunk of cotton ball don't get it too tight or too loose it will burn. If you can barely move it with your finger back & forth that is about right. And don't twist it lots remember cotton expands when soaked twist too tight it chokes off the juice and burns. Too loose it burns because the coil is too far from the juice in the wick.

Flavor wick I use thick 20/80 juice so I need a tiny sliver only the thinner the juice the more the flavor cotton. If after I put the chimney on the flavor wick humps up in the middle it is usually too big. That means the chimney edges are mashing it. Here if all together I can't move both with my finger it is too tight but remember thick juice. Packed too tight gives a cottony flavor sorta like silica does (no matter what) and cuts back airflow so draw gets tight then you suck in too much juice and it just keeps screwing up.

You can use 2mm silica for the wick it will twist in the 1/16 coil, then cotton for the flavor wick. Myself I much prefer the cotton it tastes better to me. I boil it for 15 mins or so then air dry. Torch the wire good and dry burn several times before the wick as it may taste bad for awhile. Using nr-r-nr you can dry burn 33ga nichrome almost forever it won't burn the rubber. I never used nichrome till I tried the nr-r-nr FT sells now I am sold and will never use kanthal or silica agn but that is just me.

Also another trick to help with flooding is make the wraps close together on the ends and a small gap in the middle as the most juice will be at the ends of the wick. That cuts the heat a tad in the middle of the coil so you can make flavor wick tighter and cut down the floods if needed. Once you get cotton working good you will never go back to silica the taste is so much better.

I seldom (actually not at all) see a flood with the mini style pros done this way it is all in that flavor wick a tiny bit makes a huge difference. If it humps when you put on the chimney likely too tight. You will have to adjust prolly with thin juice.  I vaped almost a mini pro dry here writing this not a sizzle nor a dry hit. Oh that vanilla butternut is sweet & good.

Also too tight a draw causes floods I use a smok airflow controller and I like lots of vapor so I drill 1 hole in the mini base to 1/16. Same build for all kanger style coils. When draw is too tight you suck juice in thru the wick area. You gotta remember the carburetor hole in a bong lol.

Sorry I got so long winded here. Me slaps self.
11-06-2014 03:56 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like revjombo's post:
BOB (06-11-2014), WarHawk-AVG (08-26-2014)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Thanks Revjombo, that's some very useful information indeed Good
11-06-2014 12:21 PM
WarHawk-AVG Offline

Likes Given: 22
Cotton wick...

Kanger protank is a beast if you dump the stock coils, replace all that silica wick with organic cotton!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=kan...on&spell=1

I have been rebuilding them, I can rebuild almost a perfect 2.0Ω coil in 5 minutes flat!

If you don't want to go thru the effort of rebuilding the coil on a drill bit or a 16ga blunt needle, then FT sells pre-builts by the truck load

No gurgling, no spitting, no leaking...and the taste!
(This post was last modified: 26-08-2014 05:54 AM by WarHawk-AVG.)
26-08-2014 05:51 AM