Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tell me about TC and titanium...
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,888
Tell me about TC and titanium...
So I'm going to use my SS wire for power mode. Picked up some titanium 26ga for trying out TC. So, tips and tricks? Advice? Do you glow them like kanthal to clean them? Anything to watch out for? How's the resistance compared to kanthal?
09-10-2016 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
paulS Online
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,101
RE: Tell me about TC and titanium...
You want to dry burn TI until it's a bit shiny. Do not over do this process. SS you can dry burn to clean, whereas that's not really recommended with TI. You can put your mode in power mode and fire it at low wattage until you can kinda see the glow (turn off the lights), then dip it in water or run it under the faucet, then fire it back up and steam off the water, again just until a faint glow. Repeat a few times and you're good to go.

Unless you are vaping at above 600F TI is a safe wire. A typical build would be 26g TI gr1, 10 wraps 2.5mm, dual contact @ .20ohm. It should be compact not spaced. Resistance value on TI is .00350 on TCR. NI200 is .00620 - twice as high. SS - which is good -- is .0092. Notice that means it does not change as much so the TC is not as accurate on SS despite the hype. The higher value means it changes more when heated and thus can more accurately temperature limit. I find I vape TI a lower temps than NI or SS. Now I'm not a fan of TC in my RDAs. I have stopped using NI or TI. I will add Nichrome to Kanthal. I will use SS. I did find TI more stable than NI. A little springy though and if you are not careful it can snap. It also has a nicer taste than NI IMHO. Not that the ristance value is higher the actual resistance is lower.

Hope that helped.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 05:28 PM by paulS.)
09-10-2016 04:10 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
gentlydoingit* (10-09-2016), TinWhisker (10-09-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
Ti's resistance is much lower, may be about half. I recommend not glowing them, if you have to then just heat by pulsing it at low wattage (below 10 W) a litlte bit, until you see a dark red faint glow.

It may help to know what you really should avoid. Sacrifice one coil, and watch how the Ti-Oxide forms. Glow a dry coil as usual. At a certain point the wire suddenly will change colour to a semi-white.

What else, Ti is softer, not as robust as Kanthal. Ramp-up is faster. 
09-10-2016 04:12 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like peter-k's post:
gentlydoingit* (10-09-2016), paulS (10-09-2016), TinWhisker (10-09-2016)
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Thanks guys!
09-10-2016 06:29 PM
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

So peter-k, you've been using TC happily for quite a while now, right? What wire/gauge do you like?
09-10-2016 06:43 PM
paulS Online
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

(09-10-2016 04:12 PM)peter-k Wrote:  Ti's resistance is much lower, may be about half. I recommend not glowing them, if you have to then just heat by pulsing it at low wattage (below 10 W) a litlte bit, until you see a dark red faint glow.

It may help to know what you really should avoid. Sacrifice one coil, and watch how the Ti-Oxide forms. Glow a dry coil as usual. At a certain point the wire suddenly will change colour to a semi-white.

What else, Ti is softer, not as robust as Kanthal. Ramp-up is faster. 

I will refer you here ... http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-FAQ...s-TC-Guide ... TI has high resistance value and ramps up fast. High resistance wire is easier for the mod to read.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2016 08:07 PM by paulS.)
09-10-2016 07:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
TinWhisker (10-09-2016)
paulS Online
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Just to add a bit about dry burning coils - any metal can cuae allergic reactions when dry burned. It's not common but it is a risk. In SS by heating your coils you vastly accelerate the oxidation of the metal, exposing the user to many more of the byproducts of that oxidation process at a faster rate. In addition to iron, carbon, and chrome, SS316L also contains nickel, molybdenum, manganese, silicon, phosphorus, and sulfur. Heating the metal may change the concentration of these various elements that is "available" to your juice for absorption and delivery to your body, though many of them are not present in amount that would ever be of concern.

Thing is these metals when they oxidize also protect you - yes a contradiction. Kanthal develops a protective aluminium oxide coating. Nichrome gets a chromimium oxide coating. SS because of its higher CR (chromium) prevents a protective layer form forming. So we can look at all the metals and see some inherent risks to dry burning. We actually should change coils often. Ceramic is also not good when dry burned and that is how manufacturers advise cleaning them. It can also cause issues.

Now these are not common and persistent problems. It is a 'this could happen' scenario. Use your judgement. I dry burn at very low heat and pulse and wash. With TI, I pulse less at even lower watts. Unfortunately, too many videos show coils being really over heated in dry burning to 'tweak' them. You can tweak them without getting excessive and OCD about it. Just pulse a bit and squeeze and strum.

09-10-2016 11:09 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
Michael (10-10-2016), TinWhisker (10-10-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
(09-10-2016 06:43 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  So peter-k, you've been using TC happily for quite a while now, right? What wire/gauge do you like?

I use only SS316L and Ti, both 28 ga. I am a MTL-er but if I needed lower ohm coils I would use Ti 26 gauge (I did try that actually and I still have an almost full spool of that wire). I feel the slower ramp-up of SS material requires too much wattage when using thicker wires, but the 26 gauge Ti still ramps up nice.

Answering the question which wire I like, my impression is Ti has best flavour from all. May be it's a perception related to the faster ramp-up. But my favourite wire material is SS316L because it's more robust, and the flavour difference is not much really.

Regarding cleaning, I do dry burn but far not as "glowy" as we still see on most of the Youtube videos. I don't need the coil to look like new. Brown surface discolouring is fine with me, it's all right as long is there is no coal it works fine with Ti.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 07:17 AM by peter-k.)
11-10-2016 07:11 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like peter-k's post:
paulS (10-11-2016), TinWhisker (10-11-2016)
paulS Online
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Maybe we should discuss the different wires here since this thread brought it up … and this is a simple and very general overview:

Stainless Steel – SS brings the flavor. SS has a certain “crispness ” that is felt with your e-liquid. Its hard to explain. It has a faster ramp up rate than Kanthal. Not only that, SSseems to last longest in performance when looking at the other wires (although the few TI builds I did were good too). So decent ramp up and crisp flavor and coils that do not need to be changed as often. Do note that like TI these coils should not be heated to glowing above 20 or so watts. It ruins them. It creates oxides that alter the taste.

Titanium – This is an advanced type of wire, Titanium works wonderful with the newer Temperature Control mods coming out. Titanium has the best of both worlds where it heats up fast, and cools down quick as well. I claim this to be the best wire for flavor but one of the hardest to work with - Nickel is the worst. The taste of my e-juice “comes out” which is another reason why tI don’t understand how these wires are almost overlooked. I think the fact that people fear the oxides (not nearly as bad as SS or Nickel) and the fact it is springy and bit tricky to build with has doomed TI. Also you are not doing Claptons with TI. the biggest concern vapers had was Titanium oxide which is a carcinogen to the human body. There are also reports of Titanium builds bursting in flames when dry-fired at a high wattage. This is because Titanium is also used in fireworks.TI can only be used in TC. You don’t want to fire TI at high watts - they can burst into flames. So be careful with your TI - it’s why I don’t use it anymore - I love to vape at 125+ watts.

Nickel – So Nichrome heats up faster than Kanthal, but Nickel takes the gold when it comes to the race of which wire heats up the fastest. Nickel has near zero resistance when it comes to heating making it super sensitive when heated up. This is blessing and its curse. Since its so pliable, it is also very vulnerable to melt when fired at a high wattage. This is why people use Nichrome not Nickel for their Claptons. And the taste is just not as ‘enhancing’ as SS or TI. Nickel also requires more wraps than usual to prevent it from heating too much.

Nichrome – Another wire that is used with Kanthal for Claptons It is easily twisted and wrapped. The “advantage” Nichrome has over Kanthal is that it heats up faster giving you more vapor and flavor at a shorter amount of time you press your firing button. The nickel-chromium substance of this wire let’s it heat up at lower levels than Kanthal. With the absence of Iron, Nichrome seems to have a cleaner taste than Kanthal but not as clean as TI or SS. I confess - I love Nich/Kanthal fused claptons.

Kanthal – Kanthal is what it is: cheap, easy to use, and gets the job done. This is the starter vape wire. It’s easy to work with and can withstand high temperatures.Almost everyone starts off with Kanthal. It’s durable so you won’t have to keep replacing coils as often compared to the other wires.It’s also great to use for for coil building because of its elasticity as you can easily twist and braid. Kanthal is also the cheapest wire on this list, especially when you buy them by the spool. And you can buy twisted to clapton Kanthal wire too.The downside with Kanthal is it is the “dullest” of the wires. It does not enhance your flavour and it does not heat up fast.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 06:41 PM by paulS.)
11-10-2016 04:11 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like paulS's post:
BOB (10-11-2016), Fatboy (10-11-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-11-2016), Michael (10-11-2016), TinWhisker (10-11-2016)
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

So, I tried a SS build I intended to use in TC. It is a dual twisted, OHMing out at .17 (yeah, this build in kanthal would have been .4 probably). Anyway, it vapes fine in power mode but won't fire in TC mode on the iPV5. There are the following options for type of wire: SS304, SX PURE, MANUAL TCR, Ni200, and Ti01. I have SS304 selected.

When I try to fire, it says "Dry Coil No Liquid". Dafuq? It is me doing something stupid, but what?
12-10-2016 03:54 PM