Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Swap DNA Chips! Yum!
TropicalSlug Offline

Likes Given: 17
Swap DNA Chips! Yum!
Has anyone tried swapping out their DNA 200 chipsets for a 250 yet? From what I can tell they have identical form factors, and I also contacted Evolv directly and they said it was doable (even with the 75, but you'd need a different input current regulator) so all signs point to yes. I don't mind the extra 50W (not that I'd even use it, I'm almost always running 95-115W or TC on SS316L) but the 2 amp charging is too good to pass up, it's one of the only things I'm not keen on about the 200. Thanks! 
22-12-2016 11:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,280
RE: Swap DNA Chips! Yum!
Sorry slug, not a direct answer, but a question.

What build are you using for that SS TC setup? What temp/joules are you on also?
22-12-2016 11:57 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,390
I've been reading the same ts. Considered it myself tbh, but I think I'll just get a mod with it already built in.
The vapour shark dna200 had a 2a charge, afaik the on one that did and was spec'd that way by the manufacturer. Now all the new 250 chips have them in there's more reason to get one. The 250 chip will also run on two batteries, although at half power still plenty usable. 
I say if your up for it, it's a great mod to do yourself! Go for it Good

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
23-12-2016 01:07 AM
TropicalSlug Offline

@gently, yeah I've come to understand that the VaporShark DNA 200 has a proprietary bit of circuitry allowing for 2 amp charging, along with one other DNA 200 that I can't remember the name of. Though I'd do the same as you with just getting a whole new mod with the 250 in it, but I really like the Lavabox 200 I have (other than 1 or 2 small complaints) and want to keep the look and feel of the box with the better capabilities of the 250. 

Interesting little bit of info though, I'm pasting a reply from Crystal at Volcano E-Cig, maker of the Lavabox, in regards to possible damage to the LiPo battery used by those devices when charging at 2 amps, if I were to swap the DNA 200 for the 250:

Aloha Slug,
The device itself can handle up to a 2 amp charge. So regardless of the chip that you use the device itself can handle the fast charge. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us
Mahalo
Crystal

(Me)
Thank you Crystal! However, it was my understanding that the DNA 200 was unable to charge at more than 1 amp, am I mistaken in this?

Aloha Slug,

To my knowledge and I have double checked with the RMA department that the Lavabox can definently accept up to a 2 amp charge. Although it is highly unrecommended due to the fact that you are forcing the cells to charger faster than usual and over a period of time the cells can become damaged. However it is ok if you use the 2 amp charging once in a while.

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us

Mahalo
Crystal

SO... That leaves me still a bit concerned about actually doing a swap, if the battery can't even handle it. Are LiPos sensitive to zip charging? What does the VaporShark use, 18650s?
23-12-2016 02:16 AM
TropicalSlug Offline

(22-12-2016 11:57 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Sorry slug, not a direct answer, but a question.

What build are you using for that SS TC setup? What temp/joules are you on also?
Currently I am still experimenting with it, but I think I've settled on a decent setup for the moment, sort of a jumping off point so I know I have at least a baseline and I can go from there.

In my Limitless RDTA Plus (highly recommend btw! dripper and tank in one with no leaks!), I have a spaced (~1-1.5mm) dual twisted 26g SS316L 7/6 @ 3mm ID, which at room temp ohm's to 0.2. Current temp settings are 75W punch (set to 5 in Escribe, I don't have my cable on me right now so I can't check what the name of the slider is where you set punch), 65W runtime wattage, and 480 F. Of course I also uploaded TCR values (taken from steam-engine) for SS316L, and I do not lock my resistance. 

Like I said, I'm still experimenting, its not quite where I want it (I like a SUPER hot vape), but it's a process. Hope that answers your question TW!
23-12-2016 02:29 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TropicalSlug's post:
TinWhisker (12-23-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
(23-12-2016 02:16 AM)TropicalSlug Wrote:  @gently, yeah I've come to understand that the VaporShark DNA 200 has a proprietary bit of circuitry allowing for 2 amp charging, along with one other DNA 200 that I can't remember the name of. Though I'd do the same as you with just getting a whole new mod with the 250 in it, but I really like the Lavabox 200 I have (other than 1 or 2 small complaints) and want to keep the look and feel of the box with the better capabilities of the 250. 

...(edited out the copy/paste stuff to save room in my reply)...

SO... That leaves me still a bit concerned about actually doing a swap, if the battery can't even handle it. Are LiPos sensitive to zip charging? What does the VaporShark use, 18650s?

The VaporShark DNA200 uses a DNA200 chip specifically designed by Evolv to handle 2A charging. So it's not really a proprietary circuit, in the sense of being made by VaporShark, but rather it's a special DNA200 chip designed by Evolv. The reason they did it was because VaporShark was buying so many chips from Evolv that it was worth it to them to specially design a chip that could charge the battery at 2A, as well as selling the sole rights to that chip to VaporShark so no other mod makers can use a DNA200 with a 2A charging circuit. 

As for charging the battery at 2A... The VaporShark uses a LiPo battery, not 18650s. The problem is that since most of us are used to using AA, AAA, 9V, etc batteries, which are all practically the same, most of us don't think to look at the actual battery specs. This is changing somewhat as people become more aware of amp limits, mAh capacity, etc, but it's hard to overcome that way of thinking where "any AA size battery will fit in my remote control and work just fine, so ecigs must be the same way." 

So the point here is that there are LiPos that are designed to handle fast charging. My phone uses a LiPo designed to safely be "Turbo Charged" at levels that would kill most other cell phone batteries. Same thing for larger LiPos in mods: there are some that can't handle high input, while there are others that can. I don't know the specs of the LiPos inside VaporShark mods, but I suspect they're much better than the ones inside other LiPo DNA200s simply because they allow that high charging current. 

If you go to any hobby shop that sells RC cars and airplanes, you can easily find dozens (if not hundreds) of LiPos in various voltages, sizes, capacities, etc. I bought a new LiPo fairly recently to replace the one that was in my Panzer DNA200 because the one that came in it was crap. In the size range I was looking for, I could get a range of voltages, depending on if the cells were in series or parallel, as well as different amp ratings, capacities and even charging speeds. So yes, there are batteries that are designed to handle 2A charging, but not all batteries are designed to handle 2A charging, so you need to make sure before you use it. 

Just for reference, here's a link to some nerds discussing LiPo charging on a RC helicopter forum. The bottom line is that charging too fast is bad for any battery, but some batteries are better than others and can handle the strain much better. 
23-12-2016 04:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TropicalSlug Offline

Man you're awesome! Thanks for the info, I'll check out that link in the morning  (later in the morning). 
23-12-2016 07:47 AM