Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Struggling with MTL Set up to quit smoking
Torskus77 Offline

Likes Given: 1
Struggling with MTL Set up to quit smoking
Hi there. I am pretty new to vaping. Some of my friends quit smoking using vapes. With the ever increasing cost of smoking in England, and the obvious health dangers, I decided it was time to give it
a go.

I will admit right now, my first stop before diving in should have been here, but I went off advice from friends and have been left with a few problems to get where I want to be with vaping.

I went and bought the latest Smok set up, Smok Alien, very stylish it is indeed. Instantly on using it, it was obvious this set up was not for me, I knew nothing about Sub tanks and the difference. I actually needed the mouth to lung hit, to replicate best possible smoking. Almost blew my brains out on first blast. I discussed further with a friend and he said it was the tank and coil that were the problem and that I needed a non sub tank. So I got the Aspire Triton Mini, advised by the man in the shop that this was a good tank for mouth to lung (feel free to tell me different if that's the case)

Okay so now I put it on my Smok Alien, and it is awful, nothing like when I was allowed to test it in the shop on a different atomizer. I feel the Smok Alien isn't the right way to go here, it has all kinds of settings, heat settings. When I have it on 20 watts hardly anything comes through, and I was told not to have it on higher than 20 watts as the coil couldn't take it.

So my question really is is there any way I can get this Smok Alien to work as a mouth to lung with the Aspire Triton Mini? Or do I have to buy a different set up? I'd rather just stick with what I have if possible as I have only just got it all, but would be willing to start over to get it right. It has been costly so far, but if I can quite cigarettes, I will recoup the money pretty quickly.

Any advice would be very welcome, apologies if I sound really dumb here. I have looked around the internet, and there is so much advice, it is hard to know what to believe.

Thanks
08-10-2016 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,940
RE: Struggling with MTL Set up to quit smoking
Hi and welcome T!

Not used the kit you have, but turn the airflow way, way down and it should work for MTL. Mouth to Lung - like the way just about every smoker smokes stinky things.

If it doesn't, head to Poundland and get a bunch of CE4 devices. Stick them on your mod at about 9-12W and have fun!

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
08-10-2016 08:02 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Michael (10-08-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
(08-10-2016 07:49 PM)Torskus77 Wrote:  Any advice would be very welcome, apologies if I sound really dumb here. 

Absolutely no need to apologize, there's no dumb questions here Smile The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, better to ask a simple question and get a simple answer than to not know. 

I haven't used the Triton Mini or the Smok Alien, so I'll just start off by asking you a few questions so we can help you better. First of all, do you know what the resistance is on the coil you're using? If not, it should say on the side of the coil. It looks like the Triton Mini can use either a 0.15 ohm, 1.2 ohm or a 1.8 ohm coil, knowing which one you're using will help. 

Also, do you know the nicotine content of the juice you're using? What flavor? And does it say on the bottle what the PG/VG ratio is? 

In general, for MTL vaping you want to use high resistance coils with high nicotine juice and low VG. One mistake that many folks make when switching from cigarettes to vaping is using tobacco flavors: honestly, most tobacco flavors for vaping are absolutely horrible, and most people find much greater success when they avoid tobacco flavors entirely. One of the great things about vaping is that you can have pretty much any flavor you want: enjoy apple pie? Get an apple pie flavored juice. If you like vanilla custard, cinnamon muffin, pineapple, rum, grape, lemonade, peach tea... Basically if you can imagine a flavor, somewhere there's a juice with that flavor, and finding the flavors that you like will really help get more satisfaction from vaping. Vaping will never be 100% exactly the same as smoking: there's no good way to replicate the taste of burning tobacco, most tobacco flavors are more like the smell of an unlit cigar, and also with cigarettes you're getting a bunch of nasty chemicals that are much more addictive than nicotine and those chemicals aren't present in vapor. So finding other ways to enjoy it, like flavors you love, is usually the way to go. 
08-10-2016 08:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Chum (10-09-2016)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,305
Hi Tors - welcome to the forum. The Triton mini is a great tank. Depending on what coil you have depends on the power you need. If it is the 1.8ohm coil you need to be at around 9W. The 1.6 at around 10W and the 1.2 which is the best coil at around 12W. Your juice should be no more than 60% VG and 50/50 is best - factory coils are not good with the thicker higher VG content. Whatever coil you have used at 20W would be best thrown away - 20W will have ruined the cotton. Stick with it the tank is one of the best MTL tanks you can get. The vapour you get should be a little bit more than the smoke you would get from a cigarette. Best of luck.
08-10-2016 08:17 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like ecignut's post:
BOB (10-10-2016), Don (10-08-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-09-2016), Michael (10-08-2016), TinWhisker (10-09-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,100
(08-10-2016 07:49 PM)Torskus77 Wrote:  I went and bought the latest Smok set up, Smok Alien, very stylish it is indeed. Instantly on using it, it was obvious this set up was not for me, I knew nothing about Sub tanks and the difference. I actually needed the mouth to lung hit, to replicate best possible smoking. Almost blew my brains out on first blast. I discussed further with a friend and he said it was the tank and coil that were the problem and that I needed a non sub tank. So I got the Aspire Triton Mini, advised by the man in the shop that this was a good tank for mouth to lung (feel free to tell me different if that's the case)
Okay so now I put it on my Smok Alien, and it is awful, nothing like when I was allowed to test it in the shop on a different atomizer. I feel the Smok Alien isn't the right way to go here, it has all kinds of settings, heat settings. When I have it on 20 watts hardly anything comes through, and I was told not to have it on higher than 20 watts as the coil couldn't take it.
Thanks

Good afternoon and welcome. First of all, congrats on both wanting to get rid of the cigs but also on getting some very decent gear.
Secondly, the gear you have isn't necessarily something we would recommend to a newbie but since you have it, you will grown into it....sort of like getting a brand new Cadillac while studying for your drivers learners permit....you will get there and it will all work out...

A few folks will be coming along anytime now will offer suggestions and advice on the sub-ohms set-ups... there is always a solution to every challenge and a solution to every problem. Smile

Again congrats on quitting the cigs.
08-10-2016 08:55 PM
Torskus77 Offline

Likes Given: 1
Thanks for the replies. Yes I totally get nothing will totally replicate smoking. I believe I am very much a smoker out of habit as much as the nicotine addiction. I am obviously addicted, but the habit of putting those horrid things in my mouth is my biggest problem. I sit there some days and even think, they taste horrible, but I still do it just the same. I believe I can quit using the vape.

It is a 1.6 coil, so 10w is what I am looking at right ? I will try and get the 1.2 coils next time I buy some. I haven't gone for tobacco flavour juice, I had already been advised that. I have Black Jack at the moment, it is quite a strong flavour.

I have just changed coil and tried it, seems better. Not quite as good as it was on my mates. He is just using a very old Smok X Pro m45. Seems a much better hit. This thing I am using seems more geared for a sub tank set up. Goes up to something ridiculous like 220w.  It also has temp controls on it, which I have no idea about. What kind of temp should a normal set up be at ?  It actually recognises I have put a different coil on when I changed over to the Triton Mini, so I'm not sure if it adjusts it. I am aware there are dangers of using vapes, I don't want to do myself any damage.

Thanks again for all the advice.
08-10-2016 09:12 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,100
(08-10-2016 09:12 PM)Torskus77 Wrote:  Thanks for the replies. Yes I totally get nothing will totally replicate smoking. I believe I am very much a smoker out of habit as much as the nicotine addiction. I am obviously addicted, but the habit of putting those horrid things in my mouth is my biggest problem. I sit there some days and even think, they taste horrible, but I still do it just the same. I believe I can quit using the vape.

It is a 1.6 coil, so 10w is what I am looking at right ? I will try and get the 1.2 coils next time I buy some. I haven't gone for tobacco flavour juice, I had already been advised that. I have Black Jack at the moment, it is quite a strong flavour.

I have just changed coil and tried it, seems better. Not quite as good as it was on my mates. He is just using a very old Smok X Pro m45. Seems a much better hit. This thing I am using seems more geared for a sub tank set up. Goes up to something ridiculous like 220w.  It also has temp controls on it, which I have no idea about. What kind of temp should a normal set up be at ?  It actually recognises I have put a different coil on when I changed over to the Triton Mini, so I'm not sure if it adjusts it. I am aware there are dangers of using vapes, I don't want to do myself any damage.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I only vape in power mode - everything from the occasional 20W on my iStick mini with the Nautilus mini tank (usually 1.6 coils) to a Twisted Messes RDA (@ 0.09) to my go-to TFV8 @ 0.16 ohms and at 111W.....

I have a SMOK XPRO M80 and the SMOK XPro BT50 however my SMOK go-to mod is the H-PRIV.

Before long, you'll get yourself another tank...then you will have two...then three and so on - then you will need a 2nd mod for said attys. Smile

I smoked a 25 pack a day for 35 years, all other methods failed where vaping worked for me and can for you.

[Image: 1457330400_25_1_USD_12.00_dark.png]
08-10-2016 10:42 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
Michael (10-09-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
I suggest keeping it simple with the Alien. Keep in power mode. VW start at 6W. Ignore TC. Just because it can go up to 220W, doesn't mean it has to. You shouldn't have to upgrade for a good long time. I believe PaulS recommends the Alien as a regulated mod.

With the Triton Mini, get a coil above 1.0 and keep the air flow reduced, so the draw will be tighter. I did research on this tank for another thread, and that's what the reviews say to do. If you get an urge to try DTL, all you have to do is try the DTL coil that comes with the Tank kit.

Since you've been smoking, it will take a while, several months, for your taste buds to come back. Mine are just now able to discern juice flavors consistently, before that everything had sort of an ashtray taste or no taste.

Most dangers regarding vaping come from not taking care of your batteries. Keep the batteries you use in this mod married. The same pair goes in the mod together, gets charged together, and hangs out in a battery case together. This keeps the charge level even and stops the batteries from being damaged if carried loosely in a pocket. Don't recharge the batters with USB port even if the instructions say it's OK. It's doubtful you will get an even charge.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
08-10-2016 10:42 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like bibliora's post:
Chum (10-15-2016), Fatboy (10-08-2016), Michael (10-09-2016)
kero Offline

Likes Given: 34
Based on all my MTL research, the aspire nautilus mini and the triton mini are both very good for MTL.

I am for sure staring my vape journey down the MTL path. With regards to DTL, only time will tell.

I am pretty new to all this and am waiting for my first mod, while I don't know if the tank I am getting will suffice for MTL (won't know till I try with the right ohm coil) I always know I can change over to one of the two mentioned above.

The more research you done the more clarity you get, however, the more options you start to find out there, which can make one nuts, thankfully these superb forums exist to get the help one needs.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2016 11:04 PM by kero.)
08-10-2016 11:02 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like kero's post:
BOB (10-10-2016), Chum (10-15-2016), Michael (10-09-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,220
What ecignut said, couldn't have put it better myself. That's why he's the mtl legend he is Good

As for tc, it only works with specific tc coils. Doesn't sound like you have them so stick to power mode. Having not used the alien I can't walk you through the settings, it's predecessor the x cube 2 had a few settings for power, might need a little setting up. 
All mods do the same thing to a similar standard in a similar way, your mod can be set exactly as the others you've used and is future proof so my advice is now it's yours stick with it Yes
Might be worth trying out some tobacco flavours too. When I did the switch to vaping I thought it silly smoking an apple or chocolate, trying to replicate smoking was the important bit at the time. Once I'd lost the cigarette craving and looked for my vape not the lighter was the time to try more flavours. Could be part of what your lacking from the vape at the mo..

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
09-10-2016 12:37 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
BOB (10-10-2016), Chum (10-15-2016)