Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steeping.
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
RE: Steeping.
When I first started vaping I drank a lot of Gatorade and I also had hard candies around. Still I had constant flavor/taste changes for a while. I think we all started out having our days where nothing we vaped tasted right no matter what we did. It would drive me nuts because when that happened I just could not get the flavor/hit that I wanted. It was really frustrating. That seems to go away after a while for pretty much everyone. It seems that if you stick at it long enough your taste buds adjust and your juice will taste the way they are supposed to consistently or at least 99% of the time.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
17-08-2015 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like 18sixfifty's post:
chris-GER (11-06-2017), Michael (08-17-2015)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Likes Given: 17,425
I agree with 18sixfifty. When you're starting out, the flavors might not taste consistent, and I think a big part of that is your taste buds adjusting to not smoking. After a while it all comes back. Just do what I did: buy every single bottle of juice that tastes good in the shop, then hate 90% of them when you get back home, then use the other 10% interchangeably whenever you get sick of one flavor, just switch to a different one. 
Actually, it's probably a good idea not to do what I did. Buying every single flavor gets expensive and it sucks when it tastes good in the shop on the tester but is terrible when you get it home. But having multiple flavors to swap out is a good idea. 
(This post was last modified: 17-08-2015 03:39 PM by Michael.)
17-08-2015 03:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Boyblue Offline

Likes Given: 0
(17-08-2015 03:38 PM)Michael Wrote:  I agree with 18sixfifty. When you're starting out, the flavors might not taste consistent, and I think a big part of that is your taste buds adjusting to not smoking. After a while it all comes back. Just do what I did: buy every single bottle of juice that tastes good in the shop, then hate 90% of them when you get back home, then use the other 10% interchangeably whenever you get sick of one flavor, just switch to a different one. 
Actually, it's probably a good idea not to do what I did. Buying every single flavor gets expensive and it sucks when it tastes good in the shop on the tester but is terrible when you get it home. But having multiple flavors to swap out is a good idea. 
For me changing juices works, if only for a brief spell.
19-03-2017 05:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
WoAyumi Offline

Likes Given: 1
Hello everyone!Heart

It's great to finally register on a vaping community forum (and I cannot believe the words "vape" and "vaping" are still underlined with a red squiggly line)!

I've purchased a bunch of flavours, and some 0mg and >1mg VG and PG to mix it all up, and after reading a bunch of threads online, I still couldn't find the answer to what interests me:

1. Oxidizing before mixing: Is it better to mix unoxidized flavour and base, and let them oxidize together, or is it okay to let the flavour oxidize on its own, and then add it later when you want? I mean, there has to be a difference in the way flavour diffuses in the base that's already been oxidized, as opposed to the base and flavour that are still transparent, clean and neat. If there are chemists in here, what do you think on this one?

2. Steeping with water mix. After some time, still water does go bad, doesn't it, unless it's distilled, right? So, it got me thinking is it okay to add water to the mix you want to leave for a month or two, or would it be better to add water right before the use? Also, what's up with the water from the taste point of view? Does it make the taste better, or worse? So, steeping with water vs without. What are your thoughts?

3. What's up with vodka? Why do people add it, how does it affect steeping, and flavour?

4. So, mixing flavour with VG is useless because it's PG that carries all the taste, or is the amount of PG in the flavour concentrate itself actually enough?

A lot of questions, I hope someone will find a way to dedicate a few minutes to respond.

Thanks!
25-03-2017 12:43 AM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 21,072
Welcome to TVF WoAyumi.

I can't honestly answer most of your questions as I don't know most of the answers. Smile

Oxidizing isn't necessarily a bad thing and there are many examples in most things we eat and drink that Oxidization is part of the aging and maturing process and in fact enhances it...cheese, ales, wine, most spirits... e-juice is no different as it blends and combines the flavours at the atom/molecular level...in some cases the reaction of the atoms is what enhances and improves the flavours as it combines them...exposure to oxygen alters the flavours which is why some ejuice mixes require you to leave the cap off while others are to steep sealed.... (fruit flavours will lose most of the flavour if left uncapped)

Some people add water, in some cases I suspect it may be to dilute the flavour further or due to PG allergies...vodka could be because they like the flavour of it and how it blends with the flavours or can be a substitute for water maybe... I don't use anything but VG and PG...mostly VG....

I've tried various methods to escalate the steeping process however nothing is as effective as time. Placing in hot water, microwaving, additives, etc... best steeping results is time....
25-03-2017 01:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
WoAyumi (03-25-2017)
WoAyumi Offline

Thank you, Fatboy, that is a very interesting observation.
Guys, any other experiences with steeping? Like to share?
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2017 05:39 PM by WoAyumi.)
03-04-2017 05:32 PM
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,282
The chemistry is complex - and far beyond my resources to analyse. Give me a gas chromatograph, and a mass spectrometer and a year or two and I could probably then make a case for wanting an HPLC machine and a bunch of other fun stuff.

On the whole, I prefer to keep oxygen away from my juice, though there are some who swear by letting air at their juice.

Essentially all chemical reactions go faster as the temperature rises - so steeping (whatever it is) should go faster at higher temperatures. However undesired reactions (in many cases oxidation) will also go faster. Plastic bottles are oxygen permeable to a greater or lesser extent so there will always be some oxidation. The reddish brown to black colour of aged juice is largely due to oxidation of the nicotine - zero nic will not darken as much with time.

Since this also indicates a decline in available nicotine in the liquid, I prefer to make some effort to keep air away from the juice once it is made. That said, the juice I am vaping just now was made on November 5th 2014 and has been in a plastic bottle since then. It is nearly black in colour. And tastes as good as it did when it was around 6 weeks old - it is a custard flavour with a lot of ingredients and needed at least 4-6 weeks of steeping to taste as it ought.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
03-04-2017 06:09 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (04-03-2017), Fatboy (04-03-2017), TinWhisker (04-03-2017)
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 4,648
Some flavors contain ethyl alcohol ( Aka , grain alcohol ) These i oppen and and place in a crock pot with a bit of water and an upside down saucer to evaporate the alcohol . Out side of that i generally steep full mixed in closed bottles and breat them daily.

Dogs have owners , Cats have staff .
04-04-2017 03:44 PM
WoAyumi Offline

Oh my god, guys, that's horrible! I have purchased this Bubblegum taste from Flavour Monks, and at first it tasted great, but then I started experimenting - I let the bottle with the concentrate to stay opened for a week, then mixed it with base, then left the mix to be opened for another week, and now it tastes like a bunch of chemicals. It's like I'm vaping a cologne+a very cheap hyper concentrated cherry energy drink that makes you rethink your life. The taste is gone, and all that's left is some weird very unpleasant highly concentrated chemical tones.
Moral of the story: do NOT leave flavour concentrates out in the open!

Makes me wonder, are those flavour concentrates dangerous to lungs, or human body in general? Are they really worth it, if they contain such strong chemicals?
04-04-2017 10:55 PM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
WoAyumi, oxygenating is bad for juice. I believe too much shaking can also oxygenate juice.

It's true there can be chemicals in concentrate, but it's mainly PG which carries the flavor. However, most vendors have reworked their concentrates to remove any that might be harmful.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
04-04-2017 11:31 PM