Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some Thoughts on the Future
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Some Thoughts on the Future
As technology gets better, more and more mods are putting the "A" into "APV." There are already mods that are Bluetooth enabled, count your puffs, display battery life and many other helpful things. So where will this take us in the future?

This is all speculation and wishful thinking, since I'm not involved with the manufacturing or programming of any mods. These are just some thoughts on where technology seems to be going and what I'd like to see in the future.

VV/VW Mods
Variable mods have seen an increase in both popularity and power. Mechanical mods used to be the pinnacle of vaping power, and it was no surprise to see nearly everyone in a vape shop using a mech. However, lately I'm seeing less and less mechanical mods in use and more VV/VW mods. I myself hardly ever use my mechanical mods anymore, since I strongly prefer either my Sigelei-100W or my Eleaf iStick due to their customization options. Of course, some people still prefer the raw power of a mechanical mod, but there are many like me who want something more consistent. VV/VW mods are great because they can be fine-tuned however you like, whereas mechanical mods simply put out whatever power the battery has, and thus drop off fairly quickly. 

In the future, I expect to see fewer mechanical mods as people continue migrating toward regulated mods. Since they are regulated, they are safer for people who don't know as much about electrical systems, because mechanical mods do not have any kind of short protection or regulation. Regulated mods are also easier to use, as they allow you to tweak every aspect of your vape. 

More Power
On a similar note, mods are becoming more and more powerful as people continue to chase the biggest clouds. VV/VW mods that have been around longer are becoming obselete as companies release newer products that perform better at lower prices. For example, the iTazte MVP 2.0 is a large box that can put out up to 11W or 5V, while the Eleaf iStick is a much smaller unit that can put out up to 20W or 5.5V. Since they cost about the same, the iStick can be considered an upgrade from the MVP. Similarly, a DNA30, which can use up to 30W, costs about the same as a Sigelei-100W which can use up to 100W. The difference between power forms is staggering. Even though many vapers are content with lower wattages, I believe mods will continue to increase in power. A company called VosBox has already released a 3x18650 box mod, which allows an even more powerful current than the Sigelei-100W. However, the normal Li-Ion and Li-MN batteries can only put out so much power, so it may become necessary to move on to other power sources. 

LiPo Battery Packs
Graham, known as gords1001 around the forum, has come up with a great alternative: lithium polymer battery packs. According to Graham, these box-shaped battery packs can put out much higher wattage than any Li-Ion or Li-MN standard rechargeable cell could ever dream. He has created a monster mod which he affectionately calls "the giggle box" that can put out upwards of 200W. If other people begin making custom mods like that, the idea could catch on and change the vaping game drastically. So much power requires different kinds of builds, and atties would need to become larger to accommodate the larger coils and thicker wire. Of course, once again this would be almost exclusively for cloud chasers, since many vapers are completely fine with 10W or less. Take for instance the eGo-style pens and clearomizers which have become immensely popular. Just a few days ago I was out shopping when I saw an elderly woman using an eGo Twist with an iClear 30. That woman would probably collapse a lung if she tried to use Graham's giggle box. 

Smarter Mods
Some APVs are getting smarter instead of stronger. For example, the SMOK Bec Pro is Bluetooth-enabled and can connect to your phone to let you monitor things like puff count, power level, and even output wattage/voltage. With this kind of integration, it's easy to imagine the next step being some kind of computer "vape tracker" similar to the fitness trackers that have become readily available already. What I would like to see is a high-powered box mod that you can connect to your computer via USB or even wifi, with a program to track all the important information. I would want to see how many puffs I take on a given day and be able to track it across the weeks and months, as well as track which voltage/wattage I use with which resistances, and how long I use them. This kind of information would be helpful when you want to figure out which settings are best for a given atty or juice, and it would also be interesting to see whether I vape more on certain days of the week, or certain times of month, and how that correlates with the rest of my life. Basically it would be a vape diary that records all your information with minimal effort so you can keep track of it all easily and accurately. 

Politics
I can't talk about the future of vaping without mentioning the debates surrounding ecigs in the political arena. Some places are looking to ban vaping, and others have already begun treating ecigs with the same rules and regulations as traditional tobacco products. This causes a problem for vapers, since it could potentially make it harder to get what you need. To combat this, I believe many people will turn to DIY modding and juice mixing. There are a lot of DIY enthusiasts already, but what would happen if it became a necessity? I've talked to a few people here on the forum and it seems that if the worst-case scenario emerged where ecigs were nearly impossible to obtain, the main problem would be nicotine extraction. The mods and atties last for a long time, since many are made from stainless steel that won't rust or break down, and they can easily be repaired or created from new materials. VG and PG are easily obtainable from any pharmacy. Even flavoring is easy to come by, as long as you find ones that don't have the dangerous stuff in them. Most bakeries use flavorings similar to those used in e-liquid. So the main component that might not be readily available would be the nicotine concentrate. I've heard this can be made at home, but for now the methods are relatively unknown by most people and would be hard to do safely. 

Will ecigs be banned, or at least heavily regulated? That's one topic I'd rather not speculate about, since it's such a volatile issue. Many people like myself and most of you here on the forum are adamantly pro-vaping and would do nearly anything to keep our freedom, but there are many people who want to see vaping die out, not the least of whom being "big tobacco." The problem is that these tobacco companies have a lot of money and power, while most vaping manufacturers and retailers are smaller shops with much less pull in the world of politics. It's up to us, the consumers, to band together and fight the anti-vaping legislation and regulations being considered while we still have the chance. Ecigs have been around much longer than some people would think, though they have become much more popular in recent years. I believe it's not just a fad like some would want you to believe, but rather a lifestyle change, a choice to be healthy and quit smoking while finding a fun and healthy alternative. 

So what does the future hold for vaping? That remains to be seen, but the industry has a lot of potential and I can't wait to see how it grows. What do you think? Are my ideas what you foresee too, or am I completely missing the mark? I'd love to hear any thoughts about my ideas, so leave comments and let's talk about it!
24-12-2014 09:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (12-24-2014), JEFF (09-08-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,270
RE: Some Thoughts on the Future
(24-12-2014 09:13 AM)Michael Wrote:  As technology gets better, more and more mods are putting the "A" into "APV." There are already mods that are Bluetooth enabled, count your puffs, display battery life and many other helpful things. So where will this take us in the future?

This is all speculation and wishful thinking, since I'm not involved with the manufacturing or programming of any mods. These are just some thoughts on where technology seems to be going and what I'd like to see in the future.

VV/VW Mods
Variable mods have seen an increase in both popularity and power. Mechanical mods used to be the pinnacle of vaping power, and it was no surprise to see nearly everyone in a vape shop using a mech. However, lately I'm seeing less and less mechanical mods in use and more VV/VW mods. I myself hardly ever use my mechanical mods anymore, since I strongly prefer either my Sigelei-100W or my Eleaf iStick due to their customization options. Of course, some people still prefer the raw power of a mechanical mod, but there are many like me who want something more consistent. VV/VW mods are great because they can be fine-tuned however you like, whereas mechanical mods simply put out whatever power the battery has, and thus drop off fairly quickly. 

In the future, I expect to see fewer mechanical mods as people continue migrating toward regulated mods. Since they are regulated, they are safer for people who don't know as much about electrical systems, because mechanical mods do not have any kind of short protection or regulation. Regulated mods are also easier to use, as they allow you to tweak every aspect of your vape. 

More Power
On a similar note, mods are becoming more and more powerful as people continue to chase the biggest clouds. VV/VW mods that have been around longer are becoming obselete as companies release newer products that perform better at lower prices. For example, the iTazte MVP 2.0 is a large box that can put out up to 11W or 5V, while the Eleaf iStick is a much smaller unit that can put out up to 20W or 5.5V. Since they cost about the same, the iStick can be considered an upgrade from the MVP. Similarly, a DNA30, which can use up to 30W, costs about the same as a Sigelei-100W which can use up to 100W. The difference between power forms is staggering. Even though many vapers are content with lower wattages, I believe mods will continue to increase in power. A company called VosBox has already released a 3x18650 box mod, which allows an even more powerful current than the Sigelei-100W. However, the normal Li-Ion and Li-MN batteries can only put out so much power, so it may become necessary to move on to other power sources. 

LiPo Battery Packs
Graham, known as gords1001 around the forum, has come up with a great alternative: lithium polymer battery packs. According to Graham, these box-shaped battery packs can put out much higher wattage than any Li-Ion or Li-MN standard rechargeable cell could ever dream. He has created a monster mod which he affectionately calls "the giggle box" that can put out upwards of 200W. If other people begin making custom mods like that, the idea could catch on and change the vaping game drastically. So much power requires different kinds of builds, and atties would need to become larger to accommodate the larger coils and thicker wire. Of course, once again this would be almost exclusively for cloud chasers, since many vapers are completely fine with 10W or less. Take for instance the eGo-style pens and clearomizers which have become immensely popular. Just a few days ago I was out shopping when I saw an elderly woman using an eGo Twist with an iClear 30. That woman would probably collapse a lung if she tried to use Graham's giggle box. 

Smarter Mods
Some APVs are getting smarter instead of stronger. For example, the SMOK Bec Pro is Bluetooth-enabled and can connect to your phone to let you monitor things like puff count, power level, and even output wattage/voltage. With this kind of integration, it's easy to imagine the next step being some kind of computer "vape tracker" similar to the fitness trackers that have become readily available already. What I would like to see is a high-powered box mod that you can connect to your computer via USB or even wifi, with a program to track all the important information. I would want to see how many puffs I take on a given day and be able to track it across the weeks and months, as well as track which voltage/wattage I use with which resistances, and how long I use them. This kind of information would be helpful when you want to figure out which settings are best for a given atty or juice, and it would also be interesting to see whether I vape more on certain days of the week, or certain times of month, and how that correlates with the rest of my life. Basically it would be a vape diary that records all your information with minimal effort so you can keep track of it all easily and accurately. 

Politics
I can't talk about the future of vaping without mentioning the debates surrounding ecigs in the political arena. Some places are looking to ban vaping, and others have already begun treating ecigs with the same rules and regulations as traditional tobacco products. This causes a problem for vapers, since it could potentially make it harder to get what you need. To combat this, I believe many people will turn to DIY modding and juice mixing. There are a lot of DIY enthusiasts already, but what would happen if it became a necessity? I've talked to a few people here on the forum and it seems that if the worst-case scenario emerged where ecigs were nearly impossible to obtain, the main problem would be nicotine extraction. The mods and atties last for a long time, since many are made from stainless steel that won't rust or break down, and they can easily be repaired or created from new materials. VG and PG are easily obtainable from any pharmacy. Even flavoring is easy to come by, as long as you find ones that don't have the dangerous stuff in them. Most bakeries use flavorings similar to those used in e-liquid. So the main component that might not be readily available would be the nicotine concentrate. I've heard this can be made at home, but for now the methods are relatively unknown by most people and would be hard to do safely. 

Will ecigs be banned, or at least heavily regulated? That's one topic I'd rather not speculate about, since it's such a volatile issue. Many people like myself and most of you here on the forum are adamantly pro-vaping and would do nearly anything to keep our freedom, but there are many people who want to see vaping die out, not the least of whom being "big tobacco." The problem is that these tobacco companies have a lot of money and power, while most vaping manufacturers and retailers are smaller shops with much less pull in the world of politics. It's up to us, the consumers, to band together and fight the anti-vaping legislation and regulations being considered while we still have the chance. Ecigs have been around much longer than some people would think, though they have become much more popular in recent years. I believe it's not just a fad like some would want you to believe, but rather a lifestyle change, a choice to be healthy and quit smoking while finding a fun and healthy alternative. 

So what does the future hold for vaping? That remains to be seen, but the industry has a lot of potential and I can't wait to see how it grows. What do you think? Are my ideas what you foresee too, or am I completely missing the mark? I'd love to hear any thoughts about my ideas, so leave comments and let's talk about it!
No need to comment really what you said makes a lot of sense Good

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
24-12-2014 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
Michael (12-24-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Thanks mate! Smile
24-12-2014 08:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
It's all come so far so fast it's simply unreal.

I would say that Lipo is the future of all in one mods. I think it's also possible to see a change away from liquids and the current coil technology when this happens. When power increases dramatically I think we will see a shift towards solids and bottom coils more like a car cigarette lighter. The coils would last for a very long time, Just pop open the atty stick a chunk of your favorite e-solid in and vape all day. Of course they will be variable power as well as air flow.

A lot of people do not like the fiddly nature of the current tech, they don't like the mess either and they don't like having to refill all the time.

I know they already have a form of e-solids but I think it will be greatly improved on in the next few years, especially as power increases.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
24-12-2014 09:21 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like 18sixfifty's post:
BOB (12-24-2014), Michael (12-24-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

That's bloody brilliant mate, I've never heard of solid eJuice before but it makes sense, I'm guessing it's probably something like the dry herb vaporizers? That would be very nice to just stick in a chunk and vape all day, no dripping or refilling required. 
RiP Trippers already did a coil build video that looked like a stove burner, iirc it was flat kanthal wrapped around itself and looked similar to a car cigarette lighter. I can easily imagine an atty that's specifically made for that kind of thing, and you just set the solid "juice" block on top of it. That would probably need bottom airflow so that would have to change the way a lot of mods work too, I know my Sigelei won't accommodate atties with bottom airflow. 
24-12-2014 09:59 PM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
I tried working it out a while back and really the problem I ran into was power. I was making VV box mods well before any VV were being offered by China. I was working on a Gel too. When I get caught up on all the flashlights I might give it a shot again. I'm working on a triple nichia tonight for someone around here. Wink

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
25-12-2014 01:40 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 18sixfifty's post:
BOB (12-25-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

For me? Big Grin
I can't wait to get mine Smile it's my Christmas present to myself. 
25-12-2014 01:52 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
BOB (12-25-2014)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,039
I never heard much, if anything, about vape solids. What derailed that idea?
02-11-2017 05:51 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,919
Hey TW - This thread is nearly as old as me[Image: tongue.gif].
03-11-2017 09:58 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like ecignut's post:
Robjenko (11-03-2017), TinWhisker (11-03-2017)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,270
Nothing is as old as you Eddie except maybe PaulS of course Tongue

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
03-11-2017 11:14 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Robjenko's post:
ecignut (11-03-2017), TinWhisker (11-03-2017)