Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
So confused! help me please (cloud chasing)
Partij Offline

Likes Given: 0
So confused! help me please (cloud chasing)
i just bought a M16 sentinel a couple days ago and i have a ton of questions. First off i want to start cloud chasing, but the thing is, i don't know how. i bought some 30 gauge kanthal wire and made a couple coils, but the smoke was no where near a cloud. How many wraps should I do per coil? what kind of wire should I use? should I buy more 30 gauge wire, should i get 28 gauge, or should I go higher up and get 32 gauge. depending on what wire i get, how many wraps should i do? i have a normal (18650) battery. The problem with my coils is that when i take a hit, i get a bunt taste. so what i did is add more cotton and more juice and it sorta helped.  
How can i cloud chase with this mod without it being  dangerous.
any help will work! thanks!
03-12-2014 06:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
RE: So confused! help me please (cloud chasing)
hi partij welcome to tvf
the first thing you need is something to check your resistance (an ohm meter or multi meter) have you got one
what battery are you using and where did you buy it from
what tank or dripper are you using

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
03-12-2014 07:42 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
As Bob said, we definitely need to know what battery and RDA you're using. There is no possible way for you to cloud chase safely if you don't have an ohm reader and use it every single time you build a new coil. 
You'll want to use a thicker wire, I recommend 26ga to start since it's thick enough to build low resistance coils but you can still use it for higher resistances too and it's easy to work with. There are a lot of factors in cloud chasing, so the more details we have, the better we can help. 

Welcome to the forum! Smile 
03-12-2014 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Hi, Partij! Cloud chasing is a blast but you need to have all the right equipment. Your M16 is a good mod and a fair place to start but you don't mention which atomizer you are using. To get good clouds you need to run your atomizer at .5 ohms or less and for that you will need good cell(s) as well.
  • Get yourself a pair of Sony VTC5 cells, first and foremost.
  • Then get yourself a good cloud busting dripper like the Mutation X. The key to making clouds is lots of airflow and the MutationX has that in spades!
  • Next up you should get thicker kanthal for the coils. 24 to 26 gauge would be perfect to start with.
  • Go here to figure out the best coil/coils to make. It's an amazing coil calculator!
  • Atomizer ohm tester/meter. This will let you know your coil resistance and if there are shorts in your coil(s).
  • Use an eliquid with a very high VG content. VG makes more clouds than PG does

With all that you should be good to go. Just make sure you have a good, reliable charger for your cells and be ready to blow some massive clouds!

To prepare for it just search youtube for tons of videos and tutorials on proper coil building for cloud chucking. Wink
03-12-2014 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
BOB (12-05-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Good suggestions from Johnny, the Mutation X is a spectacular RDA, I'm using one right now actually while I write this Wink 
03-12-2014 08:12 PM
Partij Offline

(03-12-2014 07:42 PM)BOB Wrote:  hi partij welcome to tvf
the first thing you need is something to check your resistance (an ohm meter or multi meter) have you got one
what battery are you using and where did you buy it from
what tank or dripper are you using
I'm using a 18650 2500mAh 3.7V battery its red 
and I'm using The Tobh Atty Atomizer 

(03-12-2014 08:08 PM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  Hi, Partij!  Cloud chasing is a blast but you need to have all the right equipment.  Your M16 is a good mod and a fair place to start but you don't mention which atomizer you are using.  To get good clouds you need to run your atomizer at .5 ohms or less and for that you will need good cell(s) as well.
  • Get yourself a pair of Sony VTC5 cells, first and foremost.
  • Then get yourself a good cloud busting dripper like the Mutation X.  The key to making clouds is lots of airflow and the MutationX has that in spades!
  • Next up you should get thicker kanthal for the coils.  24 to 26 gauge would be perfect to start with.
  • Go here to figure out the best coil/coils to make.  It's an amazing coil calculator!
  • Atomizer ohm tester/meter.  This will let you know your coil resistance and if there are shorts in your coil(s).
  • Use an eliquid with a very high VG content.  VG makes more clouds than PG does

With all that you should be good to go.  Just make sure you have a good, reliable charger for your cells and be ready to blow some massive clouds!

To prepare for it just search youtube for tons of videos and tutorials on proper coil building for cloud chucking. Wink
thanks i really appreciate all the help! 
currently  I'm using a 18650 2500mAh 3.7V battery its red 

and I'm using The Tobh Atty Atomizer 
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 01:20 AM by Partij.)
04-12-2014 01:18 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

The TOBH Atty is a great RDA. I'd suggest getting some 26ga kanthal and wrapping it 8 times around a 3/32" drill bit, do that twice to build dual coils and you should end up with about a .4 ohm build that will give you decent clouds without being dangerously low resistance. But like we mentioned before, best get an ohm reader or at least a multimeter so you can measure the resistance first. 
04-12-2014 02:48 AM
BioHazardCustoms Offline

Likes Given: 4
Partij, does your battery have an amp rating anywhere on it? I know I have a few red Efest batteries for tanks that are too low to drip with. Don't want you to have a pipe bomb on your hands or vent your battery into the mod. If I'm not mistaken, mine are around 31 amps. If that's the case with yours, you need to upgrade your battery.
04-12-2014 07:05 AM
Partij Offline

(04-12-2014 07:05 AM)BioHazardCustoms Wrote:  Partij, does your battery have an amp rating anywhere on it? I know I have a few red Efest batteries for tanks that are too low to drip with. Don't want you to have a pipe bomb on your hands or vent your battery into the mod. If I'm not mistaken, mine are around 31 amps. If that's the case with yours, you need to upgrade your battery.
I'm using a 18650 2500mAh 3.7V battery its red 

this is all i know about the battery.
04-12-2014 06:07 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,292
(04-12-2014 06:07 PM)Partij Wrote:  I'm using a 18650 2500mAh 3.7V battery its red

this is all i know about the battery.

If you have no clue what battery you have then you need to stop what you're doing right now and source yourself a decent IMR cell from a reputable dealer.
04-12-2014 08:20 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Spasmod's post:
BOB (12-05-2014), Michael (12-04-2014), TinWhisker (11-18-2015)