Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Snow Wolf 200w - is this normal?
Astralvape Offline

Likes Given: 0
Brick Snow Wolf 200w - is this normal?
I love the Snow Wolf 200w (by Asmodus), and i would say it is the best vape box mod device i have tried, but theres just one niggling little problem with it that i don't understand.
I want to understand it so i Hope you can help me:

I have only used the 0.5ohm coil head.

i have no intention of really using the Ni200 nickel temp. coil -or- the temp control feature of the Snow wolf. But to my confusion, the first 2 or 3 times i used the snow wolf 200w, with the brand new 0.5ohm coil head installed - the device actually allowed me to vary the Temperature up and down. 

I was on the Fahrenheit readout and i could go up and down, i was confused because i thought maybe i had put the wrong coil in.. I double checked and it was definitely the 0.5 BUT. I couldn't access the Wattage.. i was trying to put the wattage up but the only thing the + and - buttons would let me control was the temperature. Huh

It was a bit alarming as i didn't feel comfortable being at 620 Fahrenheit (and rising!) and wondering if i was doing something wrong. I could only get it to eventually select the Wattage by stumbling upon pressing both + and - at the same time; when i did this the plus and minus buttons switched to controlling the Wattage up and down, but the temp readout was still viewable on the left of the display and i was able to switch between them by pressing the + and - simultaneously. I told myself it wasn't an issue BUT what concerned me greatly was that I even have access to the temperature feature.. because i chose the 0.5ohm resistance coils precisely to avoid that feature.). I went back to the vape shop and the Lady (who uses a Snow Wolf 75w version said that she hadn't heard of this and told me to contact your technical dept. direct. 

As i said i have ONLY ever used the 0.5 coils in this device, does the above description of my experience mean that my device is faulty? it STILL allows me to take the temp up and down, instead of displaying the word 'POWER' like i have seen on other peoples.. why would i have had access to the temp? and should i be concerned if it lets me edit the temperature - should i seek a refund/replacement device?

Kind Regards and thanks for reading about my situation, any other forum users experience would be of significant interest to me here, because i'm unfortunately not having any luck with Asmodus (the company that make the Snow Wolf) technical support.

Thank You All!

08-02-2016 11:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,320
RE: Snow Wolf 200w - is this normal?
Hmm.. the v1 snowwolf had this issue, though to a lot lesser degree. If the coil was stainless it would sometimes confuse the mod for a short while (2-5 fires) until it realised it wasn't a tc wire it would enter tc mode.
I've never seen a v 1.5 having an issue like it but it's not unimaginable. If the coil were lose or arcing in any way it would cause it, or any lose connection between 510 and coil.
Was the ohms readout rock solid at .5 or was it jumping up and down in resistance?
Just to be sure, what coil for what tank were you using?

*as this is your first post.. welcome to tvf Big Grin

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
09-02-2016 12:38 AM
Astralvape Offline

Hi, thanks for the reply

I am running the 0.5ohm coil that comes with the pack of the Uwell Crown tank. 

i have double and triple checked and i am definitely using the 0.5ohm coil 
(this is the highest resistance of the three that come with the Crown - 0.5 / 0.25 / and the Nickel one 0.15 [tc])

the device now sometimes selects power mode, and sometimes temp mode.. I took it back to the vape shop and the guy was really nice and
gave me a free new coil... fresh one also 0.5ohm.. it has somewhat fixed it, but the chip inside the snow-wolf seems to sometimes randomly insist on displaying the temperature for long periods.. even during heavy use.

The fact that i can walk the temp up and down with my + and - seems strange to me. because i know it is meant to display POWER

do you think my device could be faulty?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-02-2016 03:22 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Possibly faulty, but the coil it's self could be stainless and causing some issues. I'll check and report back if those are indeed stainless.
Can you try another atty? If the problem is still there it would be most likely the mod at fault.

09-02-2016 03:27 PM
Astralvape Offline

yo thanks gentlydoingit

yes the guy in the local Vape high street shop (where i purchased the device) did a straight swap for a fresh 0.5ohm crown tank atomiser/coil today - and the problem is still happening 

http://youtu.be/KbAdjP-y0C8

i made this vid to document what im experiencing tonight ^^
09-02-2016 08:36 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Is there a way to select which mode to use, or does it automatically figure out what to use? If you can manually select TC or power mode, that might help. 
09-02-2016 08:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Skyray Offline
The Little Squonklet
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,121
Mine does this but it doesn't automaticaly switch to temp control i done it manually it was just me messing with it to see if it could be adjusted but it seems to be working perfectly so i'm not fussed Smile
09-02-2016 10:16 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Nah, it's auto Michael. 

Firstly.. lol at the end of the vid.. snowwolfsnowwolf rofl

The brief time you fired it the resistance went up to over .6.  A kanthal coil should remain solid at .5 so there is a problem confusing the mods chip into thinking the gain in ohms = a tc coil. (That's how it works) check clean and re-check the 510 connection where the atty screws in, push the +  pin down and check how far it springs back up. It should be stiff, offering good resistance to your push and only move around 2-3mm. 
If it's all clean, the 510 is as I described and the problem is still there then, imo, your mods faulty.

09-02-2016 10:43 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

(09-02-2016 10:16 PM)Skyray Wrote:  Mine does this but it doesn't automaticaly switch to temp control i done it manually it was just me messing with it to see if it could be adjusted but it seems to be working perfectly so i'm not fussed Smile

Yeah, the one you have Wink you can switch into tc mode, but when you fire it it'll auto back into power mode.. unless it's a ss coil, then it's confused for a few fires until it realises it's not a tc coil.
I played with it extensively, haha

09-02-2016 10:47 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Skyray (02-09-2016)
Skyray Offline
The Little Squonklet
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,121
(09-02-2016 10:47 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:16 PM)Skyray Wrote:  Mine does this but it doesn't automaticaly switch to temp control i done it manually it was just me messing with it to see if it could be adjusted but it seems to be working perfectly so i'm not fussed Smile

Yeah, the one you have Wink you can switch into tc mode, but when you fire it it'll auto back into power mode.. unless it's a ss coil, then it's confused for a few fires until it realises it's not a tc coil.
I played with it extensively, haha

There's one thing for sure when it eventually goes i like it enough to get another one, what's the average life on mods or is that like asking how long a piece of string is Laugh4
09-02-2016 11:07 PM