Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Snapshot of the UK vaping market
Mark Benson Offline
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendors

Likes Given: 0
Snapshot of the UK vaping market
As the UK vaping market continues to grow, with 2.2 million electronic cigarette users, there are some very interesting trends emerging. First of all it is worth noting that 19% of the population smoke tobacco cigarettes while just 4% currently use electronic cigarettes. This is the basis for considerable growth expectations for the vaping market in the short, medium and longer term. However, what are the other emerging trends in the UK vaping market?

Why do people use electronic cigarettes?

It will come as no surprise to learn that 53% of electronic cigarette users see these products as an aid to quitting tobacco cigarettes. When you bear in mind that this has always been the main purpose of the vaping industry it is encouraging to see this, despite the fact that politicians and regulators would have you believe otherwise.

There are a surprising number of electronic cigarette users, around 9%, using vaping products simply because they are allowed indoors. This is something which could change in the medium term as governments around the world look to clamp down on electronic cigarette use in public places. Interestingly, only a very small number of individuals confirmed that they currently use electronic cigarettes but have never previously smoked tobacco products.

Vaping trends

While there is growing number of electronic cigarette users in the UK it was interesting to see that 59% of those currently using vaping products also smoke tobacco cigarettes. Disappointingly, around 75% of those who tried electronic cigarettes, but no longer use them, have since returned to smoking tobacco products. We will likely see some switching of trends in the short to medium term because this is an industry which was relatively unknown until just a few years ago.

If we look at the tobacco cigarette industry, research shows that 46% of the adult population smoked tobacco products in 1976 falling to 19% today. Interestingly there is a split between men and women, with 20% of the male population smoking tobacco products while this falls to 17% of the female population. However, looking back there has been a monumental change in smoking habits over the years which bodes well for the future.

Conclusion

Vaping products seem to be more popular amongst women aged 35 to 44 although this age range is slightly different at 45 to 64 for men. It was also interesting to see that 67% of electronic cigarette users vape on a daily basis with a further 19% at least once a week. This would seem to blow out of the water the political argument that electronic cigarettes are targeted at a younger audience. Indeed claims that electronic cigarettes are gateway to tobacco products would also appear to be incorrect.

All responsible manufacturers and retailers in the electronic cigarette industry are fully aware that further research is required to confirm any long-term health implications. However, even the most ardent critics readily admit that electronic cigarettes are nowhere near as harmful as their tobacco counterparts. When will the politicians realise this?

For more information on OK Electronic Cigarettes and the various products available please visit the OKCigs website.
10-03-2016 07:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Mark Benson's post:
Don (03-10-2016), gentlydoingit* (03-10-2016), Michael (03-10-2016), Robjenko (03-10-2016), Spasmod (03-10-2016), TinWhisker (03-10-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,511
RE: Snapshot of the UK vaping market
Thanks for this Mark!

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
10-03-2016 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,071
Thanks for the article buddy! very well written and thought provoking as usual Drinks
10-03-2016 08:07 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,026
I'll probably be quoting those statistics at some point, could you tell me your source for them? 
Not saying they're wrong, or you.. but if im asked I'll have to say "some guy on the Internet said so" which'll make me look a tw@t Confused

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
10-03-2016 08:16 PM
KingJohn Offline
On finer pastures

Likes Given: 29
Beats me where they get these statistics from.. did they ask you? never asked me.. or the wife, or the sons or...
10-03-2016 08:24 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,911
"It will come as no surprise to learn that 53% of electronic cigarette users see these products as an aid to quitting tobacco cigarettes."

That actually comes as a huge surprise to me; I assumed almost everyone who vaped did so as a smoking cessation method. Or at least more than half.
10-03-2016 08:27 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Almost Jaded (03-10-2016), Robjenko (03-11-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
I wonder if they get the stats based on how many people purchase ecigs, or if they used a control group or something. 
10-03-2016 08:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,511
Mark runs a company that sells ecigs. This may be trade information.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
10-03-2016 09:08 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
gentlydoingit* (03-10-2016), Michael (03-11-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
(10-03-2016 08:27 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  "It will come as no surprise to learn that 53% of electronic cigarette users see these products as an aid to quitting tobacco cigarettes."

That actually comes as a huge surprise to me; I assumed almost everyone who vaped did so as a smoking cessation method. Or at least more than half.

Regrettably vaping has been marketed as a smoking cessation tool. Now many realize that was not too good.
11-03-2016 01:50 AM
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,911
Not too good? As a smoking cessation device?

Frankly, and I'm just being honest here- I think the majority of smokers who try and fail to quit are simply not motivated enough to see it through. From experience I can tell you that there was probably not a single cessation method that would have helped me quit until I was ready. My idiot brother in law is a great example. He has tried may different methods- pills, vaping, patches, gum, even that 'shot in the ear' thing- and none have worked. He simply isn't ready or willing to quit. This man has had to be rushed to the hospital with fainting spells twice in the last 3 years, which has been attributed to oxygen issues the doctors are tying to smoking, yet he still puffs on.

I myself never had sufficient motivation to quit until I learned about vaping and replacing the actual act of smoking. Without it, I'm not sure I would be off the analogs today. I mean, I'd like to think I'm strong and full of will power, but frankly I have to concede that the analogs were in control of me more than I was in control of them. So, vaping has been a literal life saver for me.

I do think all quit-smoking statistics are a little flawed, because there's really no way to calculate the human factor. How many of the people cited in this survey were forced by doctors or loved ones to quit when they weren't ready? No cessation method was going to be very effective for them. My brother in law has tried all those methods at the urging of a very persistent wife, not of his own accord. My wife and I knew for a few years that we needed a way off the fag superhighway. We just never found a good exit ramp until vaping came along.
11-03-2016 02:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (03-13-2016), Michael (03-11-2016)