Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoktech e-Pipe clone - avoid
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Smoktech e-Pipe clone - avoid
Well tonight my e-Pipe from FT shorted on me causing the spring to collapse and the button to drop and engage.  Had to yank the battery before it overheated and vented (all was still cool so no worries there) but damn!  I'm so disappointed.  I love the format of this thing but am afraid to get a replacement.  This little thing was the shit while it was working fine but I can't deal with the potential shorting.

I took it apart and can find no obvious cause for the short except for a button spring that has overheated and won't hold it's tension.  I examined it for loose connections and soldering points but can find nothing.  I stretched out the spring and reassembled it and it worked for a few puffs until the spring collapsed and got really hot again.  Disassembled, re-examined, yada yada...same deal again.

I've tested it with different atty's and it's the same each time.  Those same atty's have since been tested on my original eGo battery and they work just fine so it's not them that is causing a short.  I've opened a ticket with FT and I'll let you know what happens. Wink
25-09-2013 01:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
madecov Offline

Likes Given: 2
RE: Smoktech e-Pipe clone - avoid
Not good. I hope they take care of you.

[Image: 1379125800_10_1_USD_5_dark.png]
25-09-2013 03:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
bummer, I'm probably going to get the smoktech e pipe locally, its not a bad price and sqves on the waiting. cant wait for my daf to see it
25-09-2013 06:28 AM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

I've read some reviews and discussions on FT about things like the spring breaking but no one else having a short in theirs.  There is either a short in the neck where the atty attaches or the spring actually has higher resistance than the atty coil which I find impossible to believe.

I may have to locate and price out a genuine Smoktech pipe. How much are they locally for you, Graham?
25-09-2013 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline

their about 26 quid plus atty, I'll find the link when I'm not driving
25-09-2013 03:37 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,233
Real sorry to hear that Johnny. What a blow especially as I knew how much you've been eagerly anticipating this one.

I can't help wondering if it's the spring causing it though, resistance might not be higher but could still be building heat causing it to collapse prematurely ?

Do you have one of those direct short circuit cell protection buttons you can chuck in there, then try with a thicker spring ?
25-09-2013 03:48 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

(25-09-2013 03:48 PM)Spasmod Wrote:  Real sorry to hear that Johnny. What a blow especially as I knew how much you've been eagerly anticipating this one.

I can't help wondering if it's the spring causing it though, resistance might not be higher but could still be building heat causing it to collapse prematurely ?

Do you have one of those direct short circuit cell protection buttons you can chuck in there, then try with a thicker spring ?
Not a bad idea but I will wait to see how FT wants to handle this before I monkey around with it any more than I have.  After the point of collapse the spring definitely has more resistance than the coils because the vaping stops suddenly and the button starts to get hot.  Normally I run unprotected cells in my flashlights and I don't worry about cells venting but this scares the hell out of me.

It's all such a pisser because it worked so well for the first week and I was really digging it.
25-09-2013 08:10 PM
gords1001 Offline

here you go johnny

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www....pzM4oxbcZA
25-09-2013 10:21 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Graham, that pipe stem drip tip is the shit!  It costs almost as much as the entire e-pipe mod though. Huh
[Image: captivape-bds90-pipe-stem-455x525.jpg]
26-09-2013 02:25 PM
gords1001 Offline

I know, I was hoping I could get the mod cheap over here and ship to you and you could get that stem cheap over there and ship to me lol. it does look seriously cool built up, but sixty quid for an ecig is hardly budget lol.
26-09-2013 06:41 PM