Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smok TFV4 tank issues?
Stef Offline

Likes Given: 0
Smok TFV4 tank issues?
Hi guys, 

Just a wee issue I'm hoping I can get some sort of insight on before I pull the rest of my hair out and end up returning my tank that I highly suspect is faulty. I just want to ask the community so I can rule out it being something I'm doing, or not doing correctly because apparently the TFV4 tanks are pretty bulletproof and rarely have problems ...

So everything goes fine from the start, tank completely cleaned, dried out, new coil in (TF-Q4 quadruple coil) and ready to go. I throw my juice into it, leave it for a bit to soak up and start using it with no problems. But after a while (normally a few hours) things start going wrong ...

When I initially use it, my mod (X Cube 2) sometimes doesn't read the coils ohm resistance correctly (marketed as 0.15ohm, or somewhere in that region), after a bit of playing around I can usually get in the right 'region', but not all the time, and very rarely as low as 0.15 (I believe this is the first indication that all is not well with my tank as a whole) ...

As I start using it, it will be absolutely fine for a while but then the mod will start getting into the habit of asking me if it's "A new coil?". I haven't changed the coil, and if you've used an X Cube 2 for any period of time, you'll already know that when the mod asks you this, pressing 'No' does nothing apart from ask you over and over again, pressing 'Yes' is the only way out of this loop, and this in turn makes the mod read the resistance again. But now it reads it completely wrong and for the best part it seems very random ...

From here I usually try taking the tank off and putting it on again, which makes it ask me the "New coil?" question again, and in turn the mod attempts to read the resistance again, but this is where it gets the better of me as no matter how many times I try, it hardly ever gets below 0.6 and I've even seen it as high as 2.4. Of course firing at 2.4 is just insane and once I resign to the fact that I'm not going to get it any lower than 0.6 let alone anywhere near 0.15 I then lower the watts to compensate so I can at least try to use it, but this brings it's own problems, namingly I have to run it as low as 30-40 watts (normally run it between 80-90 watts), the taste suffers badly, the fog level is greatly reduced and soon after I can get a horrible burnt taste, so in general using it much above it's rated 0.15ohms, however much I do try to compensate, it's going to do nothing other than ruin the coil ...

Just to get an indication, as I'm writing this, it's playing up again, I have just disconnected/re-connected the tank 5 times, and these are the 5 resistance readings I have just got ... 1.53, 0.93, 0.47, 0.72 and 1.97 ... so yes, random at best.

I've recently spoken to a few fellow vapers about this, and I've been told that this is likely being caused by something messing around with the connection between the bottom of the coil and the bottom of the tank. I also believe this may be the cause or certainly not helping, as when I pull it all apart, there is a little bit of juice in the bottom section which could easily be getting in the way of said connection. I'm not sure how this liquid is getting into the bottom section because I've had the tank apart more times than I care to remember, both the o-rings (chimney and bottom) seem fine, and I have re-assembled it properly and am certain there is nothing that can be causing leaks of any kind, I can only think that maybe it doesn't like a 100% VG liquid mixture, although the specification clearly states that it works fine with 100% VG.

So am I missing anything? Am I doing something wrong? I don't think I am? ... I need to find out soon as I've gone through / burnt out 4 quad coils in the last week trying to get to the bottom of this. The company I bought it off have said that if I send it back, they will look at it and replace it if need be, but that means I'm going to be without my tank for a bit and I'll have to go back to my Kangertech for a while, which I'm happy to do if it means getting this sorted once and for all. I just hoped I could find out if anyone else has experienced this before and can help me out before I pack it off.

I think I've included everything in this message, I will add more if need be, or reply best I can if anyone has any questions

Regards

Stef
15-05-2016 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,319
RE: Smok TFV4 tank issues?
Hey stev

Can you clean and polish the 510 connection on the mod and then remove the 510+ pin from the atty and do the same? It can't just be a wipe, you'll really need to give it some elbow.
 Your right there's a connection issue, though i dont know quite where it is, once its started a carbon deposite can build up that is hard to remove. A full strip clean and polish on every connection from the mod to the coil shold help.

Can you post pics?

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
15-05-2016 04:05 PM
Stef Offline

Thanks for the reply, I will post some pictures in a couple of hours when I get home from work, but to be fair I'm using new coils and I've only had the mod/tank for just under a month, I'd be a bit concerned if it was starting to 'fuzz up' already :\

Stef
15-05-2016 04:37 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Shorting or arcing will no doubt leave a deposite, especially in the presence of juice.

The arcing on this battery was caused by juice getting through the switch on a noisy cricket, making only a partial circuit.[Image: 20160515_174427_zpsb6tcct35.jpg]
 I only had this battery in one day! 

15-05-2016 04:47 PM
Stef Offline

Ok, I'm back home again, I can probably have a good go at the connection on top of the X Cube 2 box, but to be fair, it looks very clean, also, you said about removing the 710 pin on the TFV4, can this be done? And given how old it is (not very old), should I be pulling it to bits so early?

Also ready to take some pics of stuff, what pics would you find useful?

Stef
15-05-2016 06:49 PM
Stef Offline

Just writing a strongly worded email to where I bought it from in case I cannot get it going properly again, which lets be fair is looking rather unlikely after the hassle it's given me so far.

I'm gutted, I've only had it about a month and it's got to the point where I realistically cannot use it, it's that bad. I've had to go back to my old Kangertech, which funnily enough, other than a couple of minor leaks, never gave me any bother with at all. I hope I can get this resolved one way or another as for the short time my X Cube 2 / TFV4 tank worked as intended, I really enjoyed it, but as it's just sitting on my shelf doing nothing, it's just leaving a bitter taste in my mouth, not to mention a burnt one also! Sad

Stef
(This post was last modified: 15-05-2016 07:21 PM by Stef.)
15-05-2016 07:14 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

I don't remember how far you can strip the tank tbh.

Have you tried the kanger tank on the xcube out of interest?

15-05-2016 09:13 PM
Stef Offline

I've put my Kanger tank on the XC mod, it works, but the coil is rated ot 0.5ohm, and it's now reading at 0.78ohm. If I take it off and keep putting it on, it asks if it's a new coil, I select 'yes' and it throws another random figure at me, ok they aren't as wild as the readings on the TFV4 tank, it's somewhere in the region of 0.55 up to 0.98.

So yea it's not consistent still, pretty much like it was with the TFV4 tank.

Stef
16-05-2016 10:59 AM
Stef Offline

I have a new pack of coils in my hand, it was suggested to me that maybe I had a duff pack of coils. I could try replacing the coil again, but other than getting costly, I'm starting to think that the coil itself is looking more and more unlikely to be the problem here?

Stef
16-05-2016 11:02 AM
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
Do you have access to a different mod 
It could be worth sticking the TFV4 on there to see what it reads 

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
16-05-2016 11:55 AM