Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Smok Scar RDA
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,587
RE: Smok Scar RDA
(12-10-2013 05:36 AM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  Not good to hear, Spas.  Mine will probably show up in a week or two if I'm lucky.  I hope yours is a fluke.  At least I have a couple of Nimbus attys on the way as do you (one at least) and I know those are top notch.  Looking forward to the Nimbus more than the Scar now.  Bummer. Sad

Hehe yes Nimbus attys on the way!! Cool should be awesome!!

Okay I've fixed the Scar and it's now working again properly.. how long it will last is anyone's guess but I've found something that needs to be checked.

The center pin on the Scar is quite simply a push fit, similar in fact to how the center pin pushes into the Kanger/Ego clearo heads when changing the coil (A rubber grommet holds the center pin in place)

The reason mine was playing around is because the unit came with the center pin not pushed all the way home and from heating and usage has allowed the pin to move. It does push fully in and then stop so that's something to check when it first arrives.

The negative contacts use holes in the posts for the wire, these are crap and intermittent on contact so what I've done is wrapped the wire around the toips of the posts under the screws instead of using the holes... this seems to have eliminated the main issue with intermittent single/dual coil operation. The coils can still be twisted around to position them close enough to the airholes not to cause a problem which is good.

I'll continue with it and update this with either a good or bad conclusion in a few days after giving it a good hammering Smile I'm hoping it's all sorted now because when it's working right it's an awesome Vape!

**edit** If I had a brain I'd be dangerous!! I saw a pic while looking around at Atty's where they place the wire 'Through' the hole 'Then' wrap it around the pillar under the screw!.. Why didn't I think of that ? Big Grin
12-10-2013 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Galaxyrider (07-17-2014)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
my scar turned up today.

Too bad I'm feeling so ropey I can't even drag myself out to the gotds cave to coil and wick ithttp://www.thevapingforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Hopefully I'll have a play tomorrow, Although I'm considering ordering a brass sigelie 19e from celtic vapes
http://www.kernowvapes.co.uk/Sigelei_19e...85006.aspx

which might make a nice match to it.
15-10-2013 07:30 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Glad it arrived Graham but sorry you're feeling so ropey! must be proper Man Flu.

After sorting mine out, it's running 1.8 Ohm (2x 3.6) @ around 12 watts is good for me. Quick update too - I've not had a single issue with it since the last rebuild so I'm happy once again Smile

I like that Sigelei mod, very nice indeed
16-10-2013 11:09 AM
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
I love brass so tgats right up my street, ans its cheap
16-10-2013 12:12 PM
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(12-10-2013 02:57 PM)Spasmod Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 05:36 AM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  Not good to hear, Spas.  Mine will probably show up in a week or two if I'm lucky.  I hope yours is a fluke.  At least I have a couple of Nimbus attys on the way as do you (one at least) and I know those are top notch.  Looking forward to the Nimbus more than the Scar now.  Bummer. Sad

Hehe yes Nimbus attys on the way!! Cool should be awesome!!

Okay I've fixed the Scar and it's now working again properly.. how long it will last is anyone's guess but I've found something that needs to be checked.

The center pin on the Scar is quite simply a push fit, similar in fact to how the center pin pushes into the Kanger/Ego clearo heads when changing the coil (A rubber grommet holds the center pin in place)

The reason mine was playing around is because the unit came with the center pin not pushed all the way home and from heating and usage has allowed the pin to move. It does push fully in and then stop so that's something to check when it first arrives.

The negative contacts use holes in the posts for the wire, these are crap and intermittent on contact so what I've done is wrapped the wire around the toips of the posts under the screws instead of using the holes... this seems to have eliminated the main issue with intermittent single/dual coil operation. The coils can still be twisted around to position them close enough to the airholes not to cause a problem which is good.

I'll continue with it and update this with either a good or bad conclusion in a few days after giving it a good hammering Smile I'm hoping it's all sorted now because when it's working right it's an awesome Vape!

**edit** If I had a brain I'd be dangerous!! I saw a pic while looking around at Atty's where they place the wire 'Through' the hole 'Then' wrap it around the pillar under the screw!.. Why didn't I think of that ? Big Grin
What about possibly drilling out the old threads, then re tapping and refitting with new screws? (closer tolerances) I know sometimes cheap thread work can be a bitch. BTW< thanks for the whole read on the Scar, Ive never seen this before and now.. I want one too! lol

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
17-07-2014 10:26 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

They turned out to be fine actually, I just crank them tight with a pair of shortnosed pliers and they don't come undone. I'm still using this atty to this day(in fact I'm vaping it right now with some of Don's custard juice), you just can't beat it for flavour.

My recommendation though would be to go for the Octopus, it has the same basic desing and shape so all the flavour characteristics but none of the hassles of having to mod it for normal airflow.

I think 18sixfifty is also a fan of these atties.. hopefully he'll show you the one he uses

PS.. don't be tempted by the Aluminum version, for some reason it kills the flavour. The SS version is much better IMO
18-07-2014 05:05 AM