Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Siegel Kaos Z sudden “battery imbalance”
Lilspacecowgurl Offline

Likes Given: 0
Siegel Kaos Z sudden “battery imbalance”
I’m fairly a noob when it comes to Vaping. I’ve had my kaos mod for a few months now, as well as an external battery charger. It’s been working just fine other than this morning when suddenly it displays the error message “battery is imbalance” and won’t fire. There is a difference one at 4.2 and one at 3.6 Also, my batteries read fully charged in the charger, but when I put them in my vape for some reason it was at 74% any ideas?
I’m on a budget and am trying to avoid buying a bunch of new things. Do you think I just need new batteries ? Can it be tinkered with easily or do I need a new mod?
Appreciate any help!
13-02-2018 03:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,440
RE: Siegel Kaos Z sudden “battery imbalance”
Hi Lils - do the batteries show the individual power of each in the mod. If they do have you changed the batteries over in the mod to see if the same battery shows the lower power - fully charged 4.2 is correct.
Welcome to the forum BTW[Image: biggrin.gif].
13-02-2018 03:18 PM
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,365
Where are you reading the charge from, the mod or a voltmeter?
13-02-2018 03:26 PM
Robjenko Online
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,237
Is it in the charger that the difference is showing?. What cells are they?

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
13-02-2018 03:30 PM
Lilspacecowgurl Offline

(13-02-2018 03:18 PM)ecignut Wrote:  Hi Lils - do the batteries show the individual power of each in the mod. If they do have you changed the batteries over in the mod to see if the same battery shows the lower power - fully charged 4.2 is correct.
Welcome to the forum BTW[Image: biggrin.gif].

Yes, I It does show the individual power of each battery on the mod. I did switch them around and the number swaps as well. so this must mean that one battery is bad? It’s probably not an issue with the mod then right ?

Thank you! Smile y’all been so quick
13-02-2018 07:16 PM
Lilspacecowgurl Offline

(13-02-2018 03:30 PM)Robjenko Wrote:  Is it in the charger that the difference is showing?. What cells are they?

The difference is when they are inside the vape. They both appeared fully charged while in the charger though I set up my vape super fast today cuz I was running late and didn’t take a good look other than seeing the 3 green solid dots. I use the yellow and silver batteries, they say NXJO
13-02-2018 07:20 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lilspacecowgurl's post:
Don (02-13-2018)
Lilspacecowgurl Offline

(13-02-2018 03:26 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Where are you reading the charge from, the mod or a voltmeter?

The mod, just saw the “fully charged” triple green lights and stuck them in and went. That’s when I noticed my vape wasn’t working
13-02-2018 07:21 PM
Robjenko Online
Super Moderators

(13-02-2018 07:20 PM)Lilspacecowgurl Wrote:  
(13-02-2018 03:30 PM)Robjenko Wrote:  Is it in the charger that the difference is showing?. What cells are they?

The difference is when they are inside the vape. They both appeared fully charged while in the charger though I set up my vape super fast today cuz I was running late and didn’t take a good look other than seeing the 3 green solid dots. I use the yellow and silver batteries, they say NXJO

If these are the cells I'd recommend binning them and buying some Sony, LG or Samsung cells

13-02-2018 07:37 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Robjenko's post:
Bugalien (02-13-2018), gentlydoingit* (02-13-2018), TinWhisker (02-13-2018)
TinWhisker Offline
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,365
Well, first thing I'd try is charging them again on the charger. Sometimes I get a flake-out and one bay doesn't charge right for some reason. Try that first to see if maybe it just didn't get a good charge.

Cells do die, and sometimes prematurely and without warning. Hopefully not the case here. Did you drop it perhaps? They can be damaged pretty easily.

Did you mean MXJO? This may be worth reading, from Mooch...

Quote:MXJO Yellow/Silver 35A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...still an overrated battery

Bottom Line: This rewrapped cell has an exaggerated current rating and is the same as the older rewrapped yellow/silver "35A 3000mAh" MXJO. When discharged continuously at its claimed 35A rating an internal protection device is triggered at around 100°C, permanently disabling the cell. This helps protect it from venting but renders the cell useless and means it cannot be rated a 35A cell.

WARNING: Do not assume that this internal protection device will prevent the cell from venting if you abuse this battery! It is not guaranteed to work and is only there as another possible layer of protection against using this cell at way above its rating.

This new yellow/silver wrap has "Type 2" above "20A CDC" in small print on the "back" of the cell. I assume that means Continuous Discharge Current. While I applaud MXJO for putting this rating on the wrap, it's almost hidden and is essentially useless as very few people know what "CDC" means. In bold print on the front they have a meaningless 35A max or pulse rating with no mention of the continuous rating, which would be easy to add there. Even if they kept the continuous rating on the back of the cell they could have said "20A Continuous" or even "20A Cont." and used much larger lettering.

These MXJO's are identical in appearance and performance to the 15A/3000mAh Samsung 30Q's. The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

I've seen posts claiming that this MXJO was lasting twice as long as an HG2 or 30Q before needing to be charged. It cannot last longer than the cell that it is a rewrap of, the Samsung 30Q. If MXJO switches to a lower grade cell, always a risk with rewrapped batteries, it could last less.

*Edit, Rob beat me in...
13-02-2018 07:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
Bugalien (02-13-2018), gentlydoingit* (02-13-2018)
Robjenko Online
Super Moderators

(13-02-2018 07:39 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Well, first thing I'd try is charging them again on the charger. Sometimes I get a flake-out and one bay doesn't charge right for some reason. Try that first to see if maybe it just didn't get a good charge.

Cells do die, and sometimes prematurely and without warning. Hopefully not the case here. Did you drop it perhaps? They can be damaged pretty easily.

Did you mean MXJO? This may be worth reading, from Mooch...

Quote:MXJO Yellow/Silver 35A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...still an overrated battery

Bottom Line: This rewrapped cell has an exaggerated current rating and is the same as the older rewrapped yellow/silver "35A 3000mAh" MXJO. When discharged continuously at its claimed 35A rating an internal protection device is triggered at around 100°C, permanently disabling the cell. This helps protect it from venting but renders the cell useless and means it cannot be rated a 35A cell.

WARNING: Do not assume that this internal protection device will prevent the cell from venting if you abuse this battery! It is not guaranteed to work and is only there as another possible layer of protection against using this cell at way above its rating.

This new yellow/silver wrap has "Type 2" above "20A CDC" in small print on the "back" of the cell. I assume that means Continuous Discharge Current. While I applaud MXJO for putting this rating on the wrap, it's almost hidden and is essentially useless as very few people know what "CDC" means. In bold print on the front they have a meaningless 35A max or pulse rating with no mention of the continuous rating, which would be easy to add there. Even if they kept the continuous rating on the back of the cell they could have said "20A Continuous" or even "20A Cont." and used much larger lettering.

These MXJO's are identical in appearance and performance to the 15A/3000mAh Samsung 30Q's. The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

I've seen posts claiming that this MXJO was lasting twice as long as an HG2 or 30Q before needing to be charged. It cannot last longer than the cell that it is a rewrap of, the Samsung 30Q. If MXJO switches to a lower grade cell, always a risk with rewrapped batteries, it could last less.

*Edit, Rob beat me in...

Only just beat you was reading this great mindsSmile

13-02-2018 07:45 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Robjenko's post:
Bugalien (02-13-2018), TinWhisker (02-13-2018)